Debit Card not accepted for booking a future Cruise while onboard

drsel

Recently on MSC, course I tried to book a future Cruise using a debit card with zero forex fees.

the future Cruise consultant tried her best,  but my debit card was not accepted by the system;  although there was nothing wrong with the card or my bank account.

I had to use only a credit card to book the future Cruise while on board.

Do you know why debit cards are not accepted for booking a future Cruise while on board?

Edited by drsel

• drsel changed the title to Debit Card not accepted for booking a future Cruise while onboard

No I don’t have the answer as I never use or even own a debit card.  Why would you incur foreign fees charging to MSC?  The transaction would be in the same currency used at headquarters not where you are physically.  If you booked in US dollars you would pay in US dollars. 

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

No I don’t have the answer as I never use or even own a debit card.  Why would you incur foreign fees charging to MSC?  The transaction would be in the same currency used at headquarters not where you are physically.  If you booked in US dollars you would pay in US dollars. 

Maybe the OP does not live in the USA ?

I can only express my experience and that is my bank has a maximum limit for the use of my debit card. I would imagine that your bank or credit union's security policy clicked in to help prevent a possible fraudulent charge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Because MSC charges go through a bank in Europe, Paris, I think.  Even if booked in US$.  EM

It seems odd to not accept a DR card for the deposit.  Since the card is tied to your checking account, the cruiseline cannot count on you having the money in the bank when it comes to the final payment.  But you'd think they'd be OK with using a DR card for a deposit.  Why not call them with your specific scenario and fine out their policy, and maybe even get the details?  Interesting subject.  

Not knowing where you live, I'm going to answer this as though you live in the US.

I'm a banker and have exclusively worked at small community banks throughout my career. Some banks, even large ones, block certain countries or regions for debit card usage if they've experienced a lot of fraud coming from that area, or if the area is considered high risk for other reasons. Based on what I've read in this forum about MSC, it appears MSC runs all charges, whether in the US or not, through a non-US bank. So my guess would be that your bank does not allow debit card usage in that country/region. Check with your bank to see if this was the case. If so, make sure to notify them ahead of time if you cruise with MSC again. They may be able to temporarily allow these charges, although it depends on their reason for the blockage to begin with. 

Another possibility is the cruise deposit transaction triggered an alert for potential fraud if non-US transactions (or the dollar amount) are out of your normal pattern of usage. Banks will usually block any further transactions until they're able to speak to you and confirm it wasn't a fraud attempt.

There could be other reasons, such as a daily limit. Daily limits vary from bank to bank, and even customer to customer sometimes. Typical limits at a small bank might be 400.00/day at an ATM, 800.00/day for purchases using a PIN, and 1,200.00 for non-PIN purchases (these would be purchases where you have to sign versus using a PIN).

• Like 1

My bank blocks all foreign countries and some US states for debit card purchases,  unless I notify them I will be making a purchase from one of the locations. They recently started blocking transactions on Airbnb and a few other sites also if you don’t notify them ahead of time to expect it. They said there is a massive amount of fraud currently.

I did find it interesting that MSC could not charge the deposit to my room when I booked onboard last month. I had to go back to my room and get my credit card, which was the same card attached to charges for my room.

Edited by JT1962

I have read here on boards for other cruise lines that you cannot do a future cruise deposit on your account, or try to use OBC for it.  It has to be a separate credit card charge.  I also think that the attempt showed as a charge in a foreign country and you hadn’t. O tidied them that you were ‘traveling’ to that country.  
Just slightly off topic, we were at a large annual arts festival and my sister had purchased items from several vendors.  We were in PA, where she lived, but the vendors were from various places.  Her husband got a call from one of the card companies because there were charges from disparate places.  He told them it was okay.  EM