Formal night ?

lefy

We just received an email from Princess making sure we knew our next cruise was leaving in 2 weeks 🙂  But what caught my eye was the ad for Formal Nights - or Dress to Impress.  I could imagine hearing several heads exploding if they saw it 🙂  Just in case my attachment doesn't show up - it shows a couple strolling on the ship - he has an open collar, no tie :-)

Doc1.docx

5 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

We just received an email from Princess making sure we knew our next cruise was leaving in 2 weeks 🙂  But what caught my eye was the ad for Formal Nights - or Dress to Impress.  I could imagine hearing several heads exploding if they saw it 🙂  Just in case my attachment doesn't show up - it shows a couple strolling on the ship - he has an open collar, no tie 🙂

Doc1.docx 504.15 kB · 4 downloads

3 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

image.png

Even Princess is admitting the change in attire lately. 

9 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Princess needs to send the email to their people on the ship add TELL them (not ask) to enforce the policies in place.

You've seen them enforce the "guidelines????"  In 17 Princess cruises we haven't.

On 11/21/2022 at 2:43 AM, sparks1093 said:

I have no problem with this, but Princess needs to adjust their policy to match the practice. As a first time cruiser with Princess I would follow their guidance to a T and bring my tux. It could be a little off-putting for a first time Princess cruiser to find out once onboard that they didn't mean it. (For me personally I always wear what I wear and don't really care what others choose to wear and I'm likely to bring my tux anyway, since I need an excuse to make sure it still fits, but people sailing for the first time do have expectations based on what the website says.)

Sounds like what you are saying is that Princess is looking at the worse dressing people on the cruise and adjusting the policy to meet the lowest common denominator of dress.  This basically means that they will have no dress standards at all as there will be at least a few people to try to get into the MDR in a t-shirt and bib type jeans.  There should be some sort of standard that is enforced.  

With regard to the person who posted that this will end up with fashion police at the door to the dining room - I say why not?

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bjkTX said:

You've seen them enforce the "guidelines????"  In 17 Princess cruises we haven't.

No, that is the point. Why bother with guidelines if they are meaningless. I don't like dressing up, I wear a suit every day in my job so if Princess wants me to dress up for dinner then they need to deny me entry to the MDR for inappropriate attire and then I can decide if I want to comply (in order to eat in the MDR on Formal Night) or do something different for dinner that night.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:52 AM, MissP22 said:

The comments above are all correct- Princess has relaxed their formal requirements in the DR on formal nights where practically anything is acceptable.

For the men even a pair of nice jeans, Dockers or dress pants with a Polo shirt are now being worn.

For the women a pair of slacks & any dressy top are OK.

Aside from wearing shorts there doesn't seem to be much difference between any other nights in the DR.

Of course the men can always dress up in a suit and tie and the women can wear a long gown if they prefer but many people are leaving all the really formal clothing at home.

Apparently wearing your birthday suit is not allowed.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bjkTX said:

Oh, they have had some enforcement in years past but as time progressed, it had changed. The last being when the ships returned from Covid vacation where even casual clothing is now perceived as being formal enough.

16 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We just received an email from Princess making sure we knew our next cruise was leaving in 2 weeks 🙂  But what caught my eye was the ad for Formal Nights - or Dress to Impress.  I could imagine hearing several heads exploding if they saw it 🙂  Just in case my attachment doesn't show up - it shows a couple strolling on the ship - he has an open collar, no tie 🙂

Doc1.docx 504.15 kB · 21 downloads

So next year ball caps I suppose.

2 hours ago, NownZen said:

Needs to be a long sleeve T shirt to be formal.

Not enforced for any of the cruises we've been on including 1st ever 8yrs ago - plenty of short sleeve Polos every sailing during formal nights. Granted it has been in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Not enforced for any of the cruises we've been on including 1st ever 8yrs ago - plenty of short sleeve Polos every sailing during formal nights. Granted it has been in the Caribbean. 

As it should be.... unless you enjoy dressing up, then do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/23/2022 at 12:53 PM, MissP22 said:

Maybe they should rewrite their policy to reflect actuality?

In the mean time we'll be enjoying their new style of requirements. 

I think Princess should enforce their policy whatever they decide their policy is.

Have seen men refused entry to MDR at dinner for wearing shorts on some ships, in some locations but it is allowed on others. ( not formal night)

We fly internationally to pick up cruise ships and can pack formal wear within our weight allowance..however, if the policy didn’t mention formalwear, we would find our luggage easier to handle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

I think Princess should enforce their policy whatever they decide their policy is.

Have seen men refused entry to MDR at dinner for wearing shorts on some ships, in some locations but it is allowed on others. ( not formal night)

We fly internationally to pick up cruise ships and can pack formal wear within our weight allowance..however, if the policy didn’t mention formalwear, we would find our luggage easier to handle.

Well since you know that Princess doesn't really enforce their dress code that stringently, why not leave the formal clothing at home next cruise?

You obviously must enjoy getting dressed up if you go to the trouble of lugging the stuff along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As it should be.... unless you enjoy dressing up, then do so.

As it should not be.  If it's formal night and you want to dress informal then go to the buffet.  The dressing up is part of the ambiance. I don't like dressing up but I do out of respect for my wife and my fellow passengers.

16 minutes ago, damiross said:

As it should not be.  If it's formal night and you want to dress informal then go to the buffet.  The dressing up is part of the ambiance. I don't like dressing up but I do out of respect for my wife and my fellow passengers.

The ambiance you demand is overrated and outdated. We are dining on a cruise ship, not at a Nobel Peace Prize awards ceremony. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

The ambiance you demand is overrated and outdated.

That seems a rather nasty and unnecessary response.

The poster you quoted didn't "demand" anything. They are addressing what Princess says are Princess's guidelines. I think the poster was pretty clear they do not like dressing up, but will do it because it is requested.

• Like 1