Formal night ?

lefy

34 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

That seems a rather nasty and unnecessary response.

The poster you quoted didn't "demand" anything. They are addressing what Princess says are Princess's guidelines. I think the poster was pretty clear they do not like dressing up, but will do it because it is requested.

The poster quoted says "If it's formal night and you want to dress informal then go to the buffet." He is telling people that they must do what HE wants them to do. That is a demand in my book. 

Definition of Demand, Oxford Language dictionary:

verb
insist on having.
"an outraged public demanded retribution". 

Or in other words: "an annoyed diner demanded compliance"

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As it should be.... unless you enjoy dressing up, then do so.

Personally Don't enjoy it - considering what many want as "formal" to me is office/Funeral/wedding attire and we're on Vacation. Tricked into bringing suit/tie first few cruises and really stuck out very uncomfortably considering how informal the majority of the men in the room and our table were dressed. Glad they don't enforce it - easier to pack and clean when we get home before going back to work.   Might do Captain White Shirt for "Dress to Impress" and Blue version for "Formal". We'll see. 

Men-Captain-Costume-3D-T-Shirt-with-Hat-Boat-Cruise-Shirt-Tee-Top-Uniform-Funny-Party.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

The poster quoted says "If it's formal night and you want to dress informal then go to the buffet." He is telling people that they must do what HE wants them to do. That is a demand in my book. 

Definition of Demand, Oxford Language dictionary:

verb
insist on having.
"an outraged public demanded retribution". 

Or in other words: "an annoyed diner demanded compliance"

Please don't go putting words into my mouth.  I am saying people need to RESPECT each other.  If you don't like to dress up then eat elsewhere out of respect for those that follow the rules.

• Like 1

I do not bring formal attire on a Caribbean cruise.  I do have black pants and two dressy tops for formal nights and do not plan on missing the main dining room just because someone else might be offended by my chosen outfit.  In what century is this?  I have cruised Princess more than 20 different times and my observation is that less than 20% actually dress in formal attire.

3 hours ago, damiross said:

As it should not be.  If it's formal night and you want to dress informal then go to the buffet.  The dressing up is part of the ambiance. I don't like dressing up but I do out of respect for my wife and my fellow passengers.

Your attitude is that of years gone by when people were denied entrance to the DR on Princess unless properly dressed, but that's not the case any longer. - jeans & Polo for my husband and slacks & casual top for myself.

If that offends some then they should maybe chose a more formal cruise line. 

If you haven noticed, the times have changed and Princess has joined the other mass market cruise lines with their dress code requirements. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, damiross said:

Please don't go putting words into my mouth.  I am saying people need to RESPECT each other.  If you don't like to dress up then eat elsewhere out of respect for those that follow the rules.

Respect is earned not given for dress or for demand by some unknown poster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Sky in the Caribbean last week, we enjoyed semi dressing up.  Myself in a cocktail dress, and DH in a suit, no tie, "tennis shoe" type shoe men now seem to wear with dress clothes.  We didn't care one iota what anyone else wore, but was surprised at how many others did dress with lovely gowns, smart suits, etc.  I applaud them!!  They made me smile.  Just be comfortable.  I don't really care.  

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 5:19 PM, lefy said:

I'll be sailing on the Regal Princess in December & was wondering about formal night. 

On other cruise lines when they have formal night in the main dining room, it is not mandatory & you can still be seated without wearing a jacket. 

I asked a Princess representative about their policy & they didn't know the answer. This is our first Princess cruise so don't know what to expect. 

Neither myself or my wife plan on packing formal wear.  Does anyone have any experience with this issue on Princess?    

saw lots of men without jackets on formal night. Myself (got back from the Sky last wees), I just wore a lovely blouse and black, flowy pants, and atrappy sandals.

• Like 1

I quit wearing a sport coat over a decade ago and never worn a tie anywhere except my youngest's wedding.  I wear a short sleeved guayabera shirt with either khaki or black jeans all the time for the last several years.  I never have had even a comment from the staff.  I always wear my athletic shoes due to foot problems but try not to wear bright colored ones.  

Our very first cruise we did not know about the dress code and did not pack anything to wear.  The night before the first formal night we told our table mates that we would be eating in the buffet.  They all said wear what you have on now and the waiters said the same.  They encouraged us to come.  We did and no problems.  This was back in the days of assigned tables/time.  

Edited by satxdiver

6 hours ago, damiross said:

You should RESPECT those who choose to not dress up. If you do not like it, you can dine elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I wear a short sleeved guayabera shirt with either khaki or black jeans all the time for the last several years.  I never have had even a comment from the staff. 

My husband use to wear one also until last cruise when he forgot it & just wore a Polo with his jeans on formal night. There were so many others doing likewise you would have thought it was a casual evening except that no one was wearing shorts. 

Yes, there were many people dressed up as in the past but it's nice that they now allow people to decide for themselves what is appropriate and not be forced to eat at the buffet when the dinner menu in the DR is always more appealing.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, donaldsc said:

Sounds like what you are saying is that Princess is looking at the worse dressing people on the cruise and adjusting the policy to meet the lowest common denominator of dress.  This basically means that they will have no dress standards at all as there will be at least a few people to try to get into the MDR in a t-shirt and bib type jeans.  There should be some sort of standard that is enforced.  

With regard to the person who posted that this will end up with fashion police at the door to the dining room - I say why not?

DON

What I'm saying is the policy should match the practice so new cruisers know exactly what to expect. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Well since you know that Princess doesn't really enforce their dress code that stringently, why not leave the formal clothing at home next cruise?

You obviously must enjoy getting dressed up if you go to the trouble of lugging the stuff along.

There’s no ‘obviously’ about it…just some people follow the suggest rules!!!!!

52 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

There’s no ‘obviously’ about it…just some people follow the suggest rules!!!!!

Then let them dress any way they want. No one is insisting that they conform to any attire, even Princess nowadays. 

If you enjoy dress up, do so. Just don't try to intimidate people into following your lead.

If dressing up gives you that much pleasure then you must realize that dressing casually for a good dinner does the same for others. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Then let them dress any way they want. No one is insisting that they conform to any attire, even Princess nowadays. 

If you enjoy dress up, do so. Just don't try to intimidate people into following your lead.

If dressing up gives you that much pleasure then you must realize that dressing casually for a good dinner does the same for others. 

I am definitely not trying to intimidate anyone, just politely requesting that Princess  enforces their own ‘suggestions’ !!!!!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

I am definitely not trying to intimidate anyone, just politely requesting that Princess  enforces their own ‘suggestions’ !!!!!!!!!

You weren't but others were. 

Princess now implies that people can dress up for formal nights if they like or not if they feel more comfortable in casual clothing. 

My take on this is that they please each group without really offending either. 

40 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

How does someone go about enforcing a 'suggestion'.    Stated requirements like no shorts, bare feet, etc.   are easily enforceable.  

• Like 1

Princess says:   "Formal attire is tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men and evening gowns, cocktail dresses or elegant pantsuits for women."

I'm going to bet a large number of those complaining about rules not being enforced are not adhering strictly to this standard. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, damiross said:

For the umpteenth time in this Forum, it's not a rule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Stated requirements like no shorts

Even shorts are not included on casual evenings any longer in their "suggestions". Not that I wear them at night but I do like their attitude about what they deem acceptable. 

btw- Their food quality hasn't degraded one bit now that people are dressing down.