Formal night ?

lefy

Just now, voljeep said:

Princess has a section for 'Club Class' ... why not a section for 'Traditional Dining' and STRICTLY ENFORCED attire for formal, dress to impress, smart casual etc.

That would be to easy. 

I've even suggested a movable partition so they can shrink or expand the formal section to accommodate the easily offended people. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

There’s no ‘obviously’ about it…just some people follow the suggest rules!!!!!

A suggestion is not a rule.  A rule is not a suggestion.  Words matter.  Clothing recommendations are not rules, per se.

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

I am definitely not trying to intimidate anyone, just politely requesting that Princess  enforces their own ‘suggestions’ !!!!!!!!!

How does one enforce a "suggestion"?  Something can be an idea, a suggestion, a recommendation, a rule or mandate.  It's like masks - are they mandated or is it up to the individual to decide?  Is a suit and tie a mandate, or it is up to the individual to decide?

I think what most/many people would like to see is written information about clothing that reflects what truly happens on the ships and not some fantasy world or what happened 20 years ago.  It would certainly eliminate or severely curtail these endless debates.  I think it is quite clear what expectations are on Cunard versus HAL/Celebrity.  IDK why Princess insists on being so ambiguous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I think what most/many people would like to see is written information about clothing that reflects what truly happens on the ships and not some fantasy world or what happened 20 years ago.  It would certainly eliminate or severely curtail these endless debates.  I think it is quite clear what expectations are on Cunard versus HAL/Celebrity.  IDK why Princess insists on being so ambiguous.

This is the sum of the issue. Princess wants to play both sides of the street.

Some leadership from Leadership would be welcome and refreshing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

This is the sum of the issue. Princess wants to play both sides of the street.

Some leadership from Leadership would be welcome and refreshing.

And they can play both sides - just SAY SO, Princess.  They can provide better examples of acceptable wear, be firm about what they don't want, and make it clear that formal wear is always welcome, right up to tuxes and gowns.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Even shorts are not included on casual evenings any longer in their "suggestions". Not that I wear them at night but I do like their attitude about what they deem acceptable. 

btw- Their food quality hasn't degraded one bit now that people are dressing down. 

What I read is shorts are prohibited in the MDR.  Maybe I'm looking at some out of date wording.  

Yep, food tastes the same with or without sequins.  😀

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess has a section for 'Club Class' ... why not a section for 'Traditional Dining' and STRICTLY ENFORCED attire for formal, dress to impress, smart casual etc.

Would tuxedos be allowed in the Casual dining area?  😀 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

of course, and also at the buffet, pool, spa ...  can always go down a level - much like the comp mini bar being able to swap alcohol (tux) for soda/water (casual), but not soda/water for alcohol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

of course, and also at the buffet, pool, spa ...  can always go down a level - much like the comp mini bar being able to swap alcohol (tux) for soda/water (casual), but not soda/water for alcohol

I don't know.  I think my evening would be ruined if I had to share the space with a tux.  😃

Martini, shaken not stirred (tux).  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yes, it would be like Club Class.  Your Smart Casual friends could not join you for dinner in the Formal section, but you can join them in the regular section.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

What I read is shorts are prohibited in the MDR.  Maybe I'm looking at some out of date wording.  

Yep, food tastes the same with or without sequins.  😀

True but they seem to be tolerated without much fanfare on casual evenings. No one fainted when people walked in wearing them. 

My husband was going to wear his but the DR was to cool even for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Some people take this formal dress thing much too seriously. It's just clothing!! Sheesh!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not to start anything, but please change with the times and don’t judge anyone.  Sometimes unforeseen circumstances do happen to .  Lost or stolen luggage that will never show, or other issues and would prefer dining room to buffet, let them in.  Some do not want to check luggage, carry on size can be very small for some small  planes.   We are able to do the tux, choosing to leave it at home, spouse can wear a gown or cocktail dress if so chooses.  Many years ago we dined with people on a formal night who’s luggage did not arrive and the Captain let them dine with us at his table in the dining room in shorts and t’s, we had a great time and it didn’t bother anyone.  I would never not sit with anyone because of not choosing to dress to the “evening code”.   Even the luxury lines have casual attire and some require formal wear.  Land vacations/resorts/hotels are also changing not just the cruise industry.  

• Like 3

Why all this contention about how others choose to dress? There's nothing you can say that will change others minds. We all have our own ideas about how the cruise line should operate and no amount of posting can change it.

In the long run Princess will do what they deem is best for their business. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 9:25 AM, sparks1093 said:

What I'm saying is the policy should match the practice so new cruisers know exactly what to expect. 

Absolutely agree.  If the policy for men is a coat and tie then that should be enforced.

The issue is policies that are not clear or enforced.

Then you have the situation where I ended up.in a leg cast.  Was unable to get long pants over the cast.  I was allowed only after agreeing to wear a tablecloth.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Absolutely agree.  If the policy for men is a coat and tie then that should be enforced.

The issue is policies that are not clear or enforced.

Then you have the situation where I ended up.in a leg cast.  Was unable to get long pants over the cast.  I was allowed only after agreeing to wear a tablecloth.

I think that is how the concept of the kilt started, some guy got caught in flagrante delicto and rushed out wearing a tablecloth (or perhaps a bedsheet).🤣

17 hours ago, hozelovr123 said:

Discovery Princess upcoming on the 10th. How do I know which nights are formal nights? 

You can see which nights are scheduled as formal nights in the Journey View activities timeline in the app. Every evening will show either “casual” or “formal” portraits. I’ve seen it populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.