Best port for a ship buff

Canadianian

I love ships and would like to do a back to back on at least 2 lines for short duration cruises just because I want to see the ships.  I don't need long cruises just cruises where I get a feel for the ship, the architecture and what makes her tick.  Any suggestions of ports that would be good for this.  Also a port where I can get good photos would be great too.

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What do you define as "short"? That could be 3 or 4 days, but the number of those cruises is small. 

Probably the better place would be somewhere like Ft Lauderdale or Miami. 

These two are where you would have the best chance of seeing several ships (perhaps five or six) in port on the same day.

• Like 1

Damn, I wrote up this big response about ports where you could see the most ships (usually the largest/busiest ports in the world, full of container ships), and then I realized that definitely wasn't what you were asking...

Edited by Zach1213
  • Haha 1

Port Canaveral is another with a number of ships with shorter cruises.  I think Miami more likely than Ft. Lauderdale.  I suggest you consult www.cruisetimetables.com and choose the mentioned ports from the ‘cruise from’ list.  It will tell you who is sailing, their itineraries, and you can figure out how to put a series of side to sides together.  A benefit of sailing from Port Canaveral and Miami is that short cruises will all call at Nassau.  You will have the opportunity to see even more ships in Nassau, and for me, the best part of Nassau is being up on deck for the sail in, when the ship rotates 180 and backs into the slip.  And if you know other ships are expected (cruisetimetables can tell you that) you can watch them sail in and do the same.  EM

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

These two are where you would have the best chance of seeing several ships (perhaps five or six) in port on the same day.

Also consider the ports visited.  A short cruise visiting Cozumel on Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity will give an opportunity to gawk at many ships.  There can be as many as seven ships in Nassau on a single day.  A longer cruise visiting St Thomas or St Maarten would show a lot of ships.  There will be more ships calling at these ports in the winter, but the OP being from the Cold North might like a trip to a warmer clime.  EM

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Damn, I wrote up this big response about ports where you could see the most ships (usually the largest/busiest ports in the world, full of container ships), and then I realized that definitely wasn't what you were asking...

But, nonetheless ,for someone who loves to be on or around ships, I think your response would potentially have value.   I would add to maybe consider itineraries with ports that have maritime museums. 

14 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Zach without making too much work on yourself this would also make me happy as a clam.  Plese share

55 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Wow - three port calls at Nassau - if it’s “just for fun”,   I think I’d prefer visits to a dentist.

Strange idea of fun, but this was just an example. that it could be done.  I'm sure I'd find ones with more interesting ports.

We, too, are shipgeeks.  We like being docked in Freeport, where we can see the ships in drydock there, as well as container/cargo ships that come and go, some with very interesting designs.

Mr. S looks at the Nassau live webcam most days, to see the variety of ships porting there.

Barbados is another Port we to enter and leave especially at Midnight like in the past.

Beautiful a night all lite up.

We too love to look at the Port Cams and see all the activity. Especially when the ships leave Fort Lauderdale and all the activity and noise on the shore. And how close the cameras come to the ship.

You can see the faces of the people on board..

But the value of Nassau is that you can walk the length of the pier and get very close to the ships.  You can do that in St. Thomas and St Maarten, too but those are longer cruises.  You could walk the length of the pier in Miami but there would be a lot of obstructions for pictures.  The best in Miami would be the sail away, if your ship is in the dock furthest west, or has to sail back to the turning basin before sailing out.  Then you could get great pictures of the other ships in port.  EM

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We, too, are shipgeeks.  We like being docked in Freeport, where we can see the ships in drydock there, as well as container/cargo ships that come and go, some with very interesting designs.

Mr. S looks at the Nassau live webcam most days, to see the variety of ships porting there.

Sounds like Mr. S and I have similar hobbies.  When I lived in the arctic I did that a lot

• Like 1

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I was just commenting that three visits to Nassau is a painful way to look at ships.

I've never been, so wonder what you mean.  Is it just not a nice place to visit?  

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've never been, so wonder what you mean.  Is it just not a nice place to visit?  

It is just a very crowded port, with very little to offer (other than a rather expensive day visit to Atlantis on Paradise Island). It’s location, near both Miami and Fort Lauderdale, makes it a natural first or last stop on short cruises - frequently having up to five or six large ships each carrying up to 4,000 passengers.  Most experienced cruisers who have been there once see it as good stay-aboard port for every subsequent visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is just a very crowded port, with very little to offer (other than a rather expensive day visit to Atlantis on Paradise Island). It’s location, near both Miami and Fort Lauderdale, makes it a natural first or last stop on short cruises - frequently having up to five or six large ships each carrying up to 4,000 passengers.  Most experienced cruisers who have been there once see it as good stay-aboard port for every subsequent visit.

And there is the answer to the OP's question.  "Up to five or six ships" in port on most days.  For anyone interested in seeing ships, it's easy viewing during arrival and departure, and an easy walk along the pier to see them up close and at ground level.  What's not to like?

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 11:44 AM, shipgeeks said:

….  What's not to like?

Being in Nassau.

If seeing a lot of ships is the goal, why not book a few days on land in St. Maarten - where the several ships calling there per day would give you a lot to see, while allowing some good island time.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Being in Nassau.

If seeing a lot of ships is the goal, why not book a few days on land in St. Maarten - where the several ships calling there per day would give you a lot to see, while allowing some good island time.

As another ship buff, spending a few days on an island would have no appeal at all, compared to being on a ship.