Must try foods on Rotterdam

Happy_Traveler_2008

He can build his own pizza or get Reuben /pastrami (without cheese) at NY Deli. They also have Vegan and Gluten free options everywhere. Make reservation at Tamarind (before you get on board if you want a particular time before it sells out). Dutch Cafe is always a hit for lunch. 

The tamarind and Dutch cafe are our favorites.  There are some selections from the Dutch cafe occasionally on the lunch and dinner MDR menus.   Also occasionally there are specialty regional cuisine served in the lido at lunch, watch for those as they are not always announced 

• Like 2

We have sailed on the Rotterdam 3 times and sail again on her next week. Highly recommend the Canneletto and the Tamarind. We are trying Rudi's Sel de Mer next week so can't comment on it yet, but the menu looks delicious. The Asian noodle dishes in the Lido Market are very tasty.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

We have sailed on the Rotterdam 3 times and sail again on her next week. Highly recommend the Canneletto and the Tamarind. We are trying Rudi's Sel de Mer next week so can't comment on it yet, but the menu looks delicious. The Asian noodle dishes in the Lido Market are very tasty.

The lobster tail at Rudys is the best!  Service outstanding as well.

Probably not on your husband's list of acceptable foods but the Grand Dutch Cafe small almond cookies are my daily attraction. The huge chocolate chip cookies are only every other day.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0322-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0319-Edit.jpg

As far as the NY Pizza and Deli sandwiches, ask for double meat if you want them to be like the sandwiches served in NY.  Here is a link to the menu:  NY Pizza and Deli

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Happy_Traveler_2008 said:

Hi,

We are sailing on the Rotterdam next month and it’s our first cruise with HAL. Do you have any food recommendations that we must try? My husband is lactose intolerant so is there cheese free pizza that he can order? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Happy Thanksgiving.  Please check with your travel agent and make sure that a lactose diet has been requested for your husband.  They will bring him the menu during dinner so that he can pick his dinner for the following night.  They will be made to meet his dietary needs.  Enjoy your sailing.

• Like 1

Shippmates  - I agree. I have a peanut allergy and on the Niew Statendam in August the waiters in MDR brought me dinner menu for the next night and I chose what I wanted. I told waiters that on a few nights I would be at a specialty restaurant.

When I arrived at those restaurants, the stafff  knew in advance about my allergy.

28 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Probably not on your husband's list of acceptable foods but the Grand Dutch Cafe small almond cookies are my daily attraction. The huge chocolate chip cookies are only every other day.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0322-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0319-Edit.jpg

As far as the NY Pizza and Deli sandwiches, ask for double meat if you want them to be like the sandwiches served in NY.  Here is a link to the menu:  NY Pizza and Deli

My DW is addicted to the Almond cookies!

Bandits wife - Bon Voyage!  🥂😊

My favorite foods on Niew Statendam were pea soup in Dutch cafe 

and in Rudi's Sel de Mer it was the Dover sole and Crepes Suzzette. 

I recommend booking a reservation in Rudi's asap.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Bandits wife - Bon Voyage!  🥂😊

My favorite foods on Niew Statendam were pea soup in Dutch cafe 

and in Rudi's Sel de Mer it was the Dover sole and Crepes Suzzette. 

I recommend booking a reservation in Rudi's asap.

i strongly recommend Rudi's souffle that is like eating a cloud.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam-onboard-images-1/IMG_0347.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Crew News - Your souffle looks good.  What flavor is it?

The menu says "salzburger nockerl" (berry) but mine was strawberry.  The menu says for two or more but I ate all of it!

Edited by Crew News
  • Haha 4

Crew News - Thanks for your answer. Glad you enjoyed it.

I tried making a souffle at home once, but I opened the oven to take a "peek'" 

and it flopped!  Will have to order a souffle on my next HAL cruise.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, Crew News said:

hi, do you (or anyone else know) if NYDP still makes bagels with lox and cream cheese? We are soon doing our 2nd HAL, first one was k-dam 5 years ago, and I could go there in the morning to get a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon.  As you mention, I quickly determined that I had to ask for extra meat to get a 'normal' amount.  

I'm scouring the HAL forums to brush up on things, since menus/policies could have changed a bit in the last 5 years... They don't seem to put menus on their website afaict...

29 minutes ago, jimbob22 said:

hi, do you (or anyone else know) if NYDP still makes bagels with lox and cream cheese? We are soon doing our 2nd HAL, first one was k-dam 5 years ago, and I could go there in the morning to get a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon.  As you mention, I quickly determined that I had to ask for extra meat to get a 'normal' amount.  

I'm scouring the HAL forums to brush up on things, since menus/policies could have changed a bit in the last 5 years... They don't seem to put menus on their website afaict...

Yes.  They had breakfast bagels last December on the Nieuw Statendam but not on the website menu.

• Like 1

On the N. Statendam this summer, the NY Deli was not open for breakfast. 😞  I had enjoyed that last Christmas on the Koningsdam and was disappointed. I know I can get the same things in the Lido, but I liked the quick service and sitting up in that area enjoying the quiet mornings. 🙂  I am hoping it's open this Christmas!