Just off Majestic - my thoughts...

We disembarked Majestic today in Sydney after a 5 night cruise to Tasmania. A week before we had disembarked Luminosa after a week to North Qld on it's first voyage. So I can't help but compare the two experiences. 

Bear in mind we are Princess' Cruisers usually (elite) and have done two Coral Princess cruises post-covi, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Majestic was the biggest ship we have been on to date, and it felt big. It felt newer and shinier than most Princess ships doing Australian sailings. Cabins and balconies seem smaller. Luminosa standard balconies had sofa (Majestic did not). Luminosa standard balconies also larger. We liked the bathroom better in Luminosa too, and water pressure. (However toilet in Majestic much more reliable than our poor experience on Luminosa so thankful for that). Also grateful that housekeeping provided a kettle in our Majestic cabin when we pleaded!

The lifts were also much harder to get on Majestic - a dream on Luminosa. Never a wait. And obviously more walking on a larger ship, but we needed to walk.  The theatre was much harder to score a seat if you came later on Majestic. Never had a problem on Luminosa.  On subject of theatre, 'Encore' production show on Majestic just amazing. Brilliant! Buddy Holly tribute tribute show weak but Abba tribute show much better. The second production show 'Fantastic Journey ' we did not enjoy. Others may. Comedians on both ships fell short. The only really good production show on Luminosa was 'Flick' and we were super impressed by that one.

The ship itself, and it's only a personal preference, we loved Luminosa much better. We prefer smaller ships and ones with a promenade deck. We miss that on the bigger ones. Also with Luminosa, we felt more connected to the ocean. Every public area on Luminosa had stunning views of ocean and hundreds of quiet seats to choose with a glorious view. Many indoor areas on Majestic felt like a shopping mall with no views. The few places that did, around the atrium, were so popular, it was often hard to find a seat, and with so many activities in atrium, not usually quiet.

We were looking forward to trying the Hollywood Conservatory on Majestic. An area with stunning views and quiet nooks. However, once three quarters of the cruise had lapsed and never once opening it to guests as closed for private functions, I went to guest services and after speaking to the right department, they agreed to open it after 3pm on second last day. We enjoyed a few hours reading and playing cards. The next day however, the chlorine smell from the adjoining pool was too strong to stay there (we're more sensitive than most to chemical smells).

On another negative, we found ordering via the App too hard on that size ship. It either came very late or not at all lol, or very late and twice from different departments! On Coral Princess it worked brilliantly.

So while we loved the Luminosa ship itself more than Majestic, Princess food is definitely a big notch higher than Carnival, and that is important to us. We enjoyed the range on offer in the buffet at breakfast, but liked Luminosa buffet better for lunt. Majestic seemed disjointed. Also did not like plastic dishes, cups and wine glasses at buffet on Majestic. Had China and glass on Luminosa (except for water cups).  We had dinner in the MDR or Crown Grill each evening and service and food definitely more polished and enjoyable on Princess. Not hard to get a regular table if dining early.  Longer lines later.

While the service and food were more refined on Princess, on this occasion, the clientele were not. We found Luminosa guests displayed better manners. May be because only a five day Majestic, as we are generally very happy with Princess fellow guests and usually blessed with meeting many lovely people. Perhaps the crowds did not help manners.

Embarkation on Majestic very good. They started boarding an hour earlier than listed. Disembarkment also excellent (walked own luggage off).

Other high points were 'Alfredos' restaurant and being able to get different wines by glass at Vines, on Plus Package.  International cafe good also.

Sorry, this was so long.....

In a week we board Grand Princess on NZ itinerary so will be interesting to compare.  Still a Princess fan!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I'm just off Majestic too today. I'm Elite as well and have recently cruised on Coral and Grand as comparisons. I have to say that the Majestic is my least favourite of all the Princess ships I have sailed on. It is certainly beautiful but I found it awkward and the public rooms not comfortable. A big disappointment for me was the reliance on that awful Princess Live room.  It is totally unsuitable for trivia and game shows, everyone crammed in rows like a lecture theatre. Not really possible to social distance in there. Therefore we only attended the morning trivia in the Vista Lounge.

I agree 100pc about the Conservatory. I enquired the first morning and was told it was unavailable the whole cruise as it was being used for 'meetings'. Best room on the ship. Fortunately we were able to spend some time there yesterday.

Restaurant food and staff were great. The pizza was top notch too. I found the bar staff to be a bit on the surly side and the coffee was not good. Weather was hideous and missing Port Arthur was a blow but that's not Princess' fault. 

I would not go on the Majestic again.

And I'm going on Luminosa in December, so thank you for the positive  info. I'm looking forward to it..  and some good weather .  .hopefully!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Majestic is my least favourite Princess ship as well. We did a short Tasmania cruise on it in 2018 and I swore I'd never go on it again. The only good part was the large angled balcony we scored on the bump-out bit of Dolphin deck (D424 I think). It was just the regular BA balcony fare too. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I too am just off the Majestic and agree with most of what was said above. We had a Penthouse suite close to the concierge lounge which was great, but:

1. I did not like the buffet - I thought food quality was pretty average and the layout was not particularly easy to navigate - agree on the plastic plates etc (similar to other ships though not just Majestic).

2. Lifts were very hit and miss - many times a long wait and then packed.

3. Conservatory was pleasant for the small amount of time could use it but I thought it was a child-free zone - there were several groups playing loudly.

4. Masks were noticeably absent at times (in the theatre especially). Good to see staff trying to enforce this but there were also a lot of chin breathers!

5. Crown was fine but Bistrot Sur La Mer was in a very open area with people walking past.

6. International Cafe was difficult to get a seat - too many activities in the Piazza meant that people staked a claim!

7. I felt staff were not as overall friendly as on Coral (August) or even Grand (early Nov). Weren't as proactive at seeing if you wanted a drink etc.

8. And I really missed Crooners - the bars (although more of them) had limited seating and no real ambience.

9. Suite breakfast at Harmony was quite poor (service slow) and not really warm to clients (we ended up having a light breakfast in the Concierge lounge which was much better).

10. Ship seemed crowded - weather was not good but still... 

My two cents worth - agree I won't be rushing back to Majestic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

thanks to all for your reviews. we join the majestic on 8th december for a 13 night pacific cruise, so feedback & tips are welcome, even if negative. at least we will be prepared! on a positive note, pleasing to hear none of you got covid as i see the ship is still showing as tier 1 for nsw. we will be on deck 8, so disappointed to hear about wait times/crowded lifts as it will be many steps up to the buffet from deck 8! pleased to hear though that housekeeping provided a kettle in the cabin after pleading! hopefully the conservatory will be available as we will have at least 7 days at sea. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, austromyrtus said:

thanks to all for your reviews. we join the majestic on 8th december for a 13 night pacific cruise, so feedback & tips are welcome, even if negative. at least we will be prepared! on a positive note, pleasing to hear none of you got covid as i see the ship is still showing as tier 1 for nsw. we will be on deck 8, so disappointed to hear about wait times/crowded lifts as it will be many steps up to the buffet from deck 8! pleased to hear though that housekeeping provided a kettle in the cabin after pleading! hopefully the conservatory will be available as we will have at least 7 days at sea. 

Please don't take my word as gospel. The weather made for many more people inside so maybe that's why it felt more crowded.  And of course, a day on the ocean beats one stuck in your lounge room! The ship is very new and so things are 'nice' - no noticeable rusting and not the awful sewerage smell I remember from Dawn and Sea. MUTs seemed to be a much better screen and sound system which was good as well. We certainly enjoyed ourselves - don't get me wrong on that.

• Like 2

I can relate to all of the comments from those that have recently disembarked.

My memory fades for some of our distant past cruises, but Majestic was well up there for a least favourite Princess ship too, but in mixed ways. We found spots that we loved, but others spots we generally avoided. The ship is definitely large, and a bit impersonal in places. It becomes easier to navigate if you have a cabin handy to the lifts/stairs.

We found a bit more to love about Coral, but also have 2 short Majestic cruises booked for next year, having just made final payment on one yesterday. We are looking forward to both, knowing we have better located cabins, have figured our way around the ship for the bits we like, and have made a few connections with staff that will be nice to rekindle. But yes, if these itineraries were also available on Coral, we would be jumping ship.

• Thanks 1

For all the negative comments , The Majestic is my favourite Princess ship. Ive been on Dawn, Sun, Sea , Golden , Diamond and Ruby for comparison . ( and other lines ) 
But like all things everyone has different opinions for different reasons. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Thorpe said:

For all the negative comments , The Majestic is my favourite Princess ship. Ive been on Dawn, Sun, Sea , Golden , Diamond and Ruby for comparison . ( and other lines ) 
But like all things everyone has different opinions for different reasons. 

Same. We went on Majestic just before the plague and it’s one of my favourite ships. Not a huge fan of Coral actually. Just shows there is something for everybody. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

In a week we board Grand Princess on NZ itinerary so will be interesting to compare.  Still a Princess fan!

Thanks for the review. 

I've been meaning to do one as I recently went on Carnival Splendor then Coral Princess. Will wait until after the next one. 

We are on Grand on Thursday from Melbourne. Looking forward to it as I haven't been on that ship.

If you are on that one we are meeting at the bar on Sun deck at 2pm on the first sea day if you want to join. I've posted it on Cruise Critic meetup. I'll have a green fleuro hat for identification. 

Cheers,

Lynne (and Ian).  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Not a fan of Majestic, seemed like they tried to cram too man6cab8n# with with the same public space.

That is why I always check the number of passengers.  When something goes wrong, too many people brings out the worst in people, is my experience.

• Like 2