Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

FYI - On wonder right now and captain just announced we’re on our way to San Juan for a medical emergency. He anticipates this will delay our arrival back to Port Canaveral until 4pm which will obviously delay the next departure. Just a heads up to anyone on the next sailing. Hope the injured/sick passenger recovers. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, sharktums said:

He anticipates this will delay our arrival back to Port Canaveral until 4pm

Happened to us once on Harmony, coming out of St. Thomas. Captain had us in and out of San Juan in under an hour - quite an orchestration effort between ship, CG, and shoreside EMT's. Sounds like you have only sea days left on the cruise, so he may be able to make up time if they orchestrate this one as well.

• Like 2

Just now, orville99 said:

Happened to us once on Harmony, coming out of St. Thomas. Captain had us in and out of San Juan in under an hour - quite an orchestration effort between ship, CG, and shoreside EMT's. Sounds like you have only sea days left on the cruise, so he may be able to make up time if they orchestrate this one as well.

Yeah, I was shocked when he announced 4pm as that’s nearly a 12 hour delay. We’ll see if he can put the pedal to the metal and get us back sooner. 

Just now, JCDCA said:

Waiting 8 hours to reach land makes you wonder about the severity 

Not really.  The USCG uses a risk/reward matrix to determine when/where/if to perform an evacuation.  In the ship's medical center, the patient is not being shaken as happens on a helicopter, and has more medical resources than onboard the helicopter.  If the patient is stable, it is better to keep them on the ship then to risk an air evacuation, with all the risks that involves.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sharktums said:

Yeah, I was shocked when he announced 4pm as that’s nearly a 12 hour delay. We’ll see if he can put the pedal to the metal and get us back sooner. 

We’re boarding Sunday, so I hope they send emails to everyone so there’s not 6000 people waiting to board for hours and hours.

• Like 1

We’re on the ship as well and our friends saw the patient fall. They need immediate emergency surgery which is probably why we’re hightailing it to PR. We’re rocking and rolling which is a bit rough. Hopefully we don’t high speed it the rest of this trip 🤢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharktums said:

Yes. Obviously thoughts are with the passenger but it’s going to be a mess with having to rebook flights the Sunday of thanksgiving weekend. 

What’s the earliest a flight could even realistically be booked for Sunday?

1 minute ago, myacuna said:

We’re on the ship as well and our friends saw the patient fall. They need immediate emergency surgery which is probably why we’re hightailing it to PR. We’re rocking and rolling which is a bit rough. Hopefully we don’t high speed it the rest of this trip 🤢

When/where did that happen? 

7 minutes ago, myacuna said:

Close to the putt putt area. I can’t remember what time but it was the last alpha call (there’s sadly been several) I think maybe around 10ish?

Interesting thanks.  And yeah no kidding.  

32 minutes ago, myacuna said:

Interesting. We heard it was something at the entrance to the windjammer, about 10am. I wonder where they fell from/to.

This was the 3rd Alpha of the cruise so far that we remember. Saw the first on day 1, someone had an incident coming down the Abyss slide. Not sure if they hit their head or fainted or what exactly. Turned out to be fairly minor thankfully.

1 hour ago, jrapps said:

Interesting. We heard it was something at the entrance to the windjammer, about 10am. I wonder where they fell from/to.

This was the 3rd Alpha of the cruise so far that we remember. Saw the first on day 1, someone had an incident coming down the Abyss slide. Not sure if they hit their head or fainted or what exactly. Turned out to be fairly minor thankfully.

Apparently this incident took place near the play scape and it’s still close. The woman was cut off so clearly inebriated and fell up or down the stairs breaking her orbital bone.

• Like 1