Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What day and time did you hear that the new arrival time would be 4am on Monday..............It should have been last night just minutes after they pulled away from the dock in San Juan..  I pretty  much believe that wasn't what happened was it?

Hmm, I think things are more complicated than Jimbo.  If the Gulfstream sea and wind conditions were favorable the ship might be able to make good time on the trip back; the Captain would not know exactly.  Furthermore once they determined how late on Sunday the ship might arrive if the Captain pushed, surely the company would have to learn if the port would allow the late docking and if CBP would be available to allow passengers to disembark…if they would not allow this Sunday pm, there was no point in rushing.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wheels87 said:

No offense, but this is simply not true. The Captain made several announcements with the first one being around 1215. He made a second on around 3:00 and the cruise director made another one around 3:15.  In all three announcements, they stated that we were headed back to San Juan. Communication was very clear. 

If someone is worried about losing their job, then they shouldn't take a cruise. 

Good day. 

That’s exactly my recollection also. The incident happened around 10:30 and around 12:30 we were advised going to San Juan eta 8:00 pm and eta to PC 4:00 pm. I was told they could make it by then but the logistics of clearing CBP and shore  staff to provision the ship that late on a Sunday wasn’t going to work for a same day turn around. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Hmm, I think things are more complicated than Jimbo.  If the Gulfstream sea and wind conditions were favorable the ship might be able to make good time on the trip back; the Captain would not know exactly.  Furthermore once they determined how late on Sunday the ship might arrive if the Captain pushed, surely the company would have to learn if the port would allow the late docking and if CBP would be available to allow passengers to disembark…if they would not allow this Sunday pm, there was no point in rushing.  

not mention shore side services to provision the ship 

5 minutes ago, Cruisejammer22 said:

To add fuel to the fire they are making us get off at 4:30am. They’re not charging for internet, drink and dining packages for the last day for 50% off. Wtaf even. This customer service is absolutely ridiculous. 

They are actually making you get off at 4:30 a.m.? That's pretty rough.

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, Wheels87 said:

No offense, but this is simply not true. The Captain made several announcements with the first one being around 1215. He made a second on around 3:00 and the cruise director made another one around 3:15.  In all three announcements, they stated that we were headed back to San Juan. Communication was very clear. 

If someone is worried about losing their job, then they shouldn't take a cruise. 

Good day. 

Lmao then you must not be on board because at 3:30/4 they made an announcement and shortly after apologized that none of the prior announcements were made into the rooms. So again, my story is true, cute for trying to make it seem otherwise. 

• Like 1

Wow. I was fine with everything and the communication as I understand all the behind the scenes stuff until they said they’re charging us for everything tomorrow!!?? And I have to go stand in line to cancel if I don’t want to extend!!?? Oof. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sharktums said:

Wow. I was fine with everything and the communication as I understand all the behind the scenes stuff until they said they’re charging us for everything tomorrow!!?? And I have to go stand in line to cancel if I don’t want to extend!!?? Oof. 

I thought they would let people with packages just have them for the additional day. Hopefully they have lots of extra people at GS.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cruisejammer22 said:

To add fuel to the fire they are making us get off at 4:30am. They’re not charging for internet, drink and dining packages for the last day for 50% off. Wtaf even. This customer service is absolutely ridiculous. 

No free food. No free drinks. All seems perfectly reasonable. You signed a contract that allows them to deviate from their stated itinerary for any reason. 

And, they will allow people to disembark at 4:30, they are not kicking you off at 4:30. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Cruisejammer22 said:You do understand every ship pulls in around 4 am. No that is not when you get off. It has to get cleared and will start around 6 as always. Last off is around 9:30. So no they will not come on intercom and tell you to get off at 4:30. Lmao
Edited by renza

Just now, Cruisejammer22 said:

Lmao then you must not be on board because at 3:30/4 they made an announcement and shortly after apologized that none of the prior announcements were made into the rooms. So again, my story is true, cute for trying to make it seem otherwise. 

I most certainly am onboard and heard every announcement. In fact, I was in my room for one of them and simply opened my door to hear it in the hallway. Your posts are all directed at blasting RC. Could they have done better, certainly, but this is a very fluid situation. They don't just decide to arrive at whatever time they want...drastic changes like this require coordination from multiple government and private agencies.  I'm not trying to be cute, I'm trying to be understanding of a very challenging and unique situation. Perhaps you would be best served by cruising on more perfect budget cruise line. 

Good day. 

Edited by Wheels87
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

Sorry, but there are many untruths being told on this thread. 

it's interesting how multiple folks on the same ship are coming to this thread with different information, which I think speaks more to the situation being that communication has been poor overall from RCL to those onboard and to those who are now having to wait a day extra for their cruise to depart.

What's true to you clearly isn't true to the other poster, and I'm wondering how that's happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruisejammer22 said:

For some context on why the current people on board are more than frustrated, including myself. They cancelled our day at CocoCay at 9:30am once everyone was dressed and ready to go. They announced that people who booked excursions would be credited but that’s about it. It wasn’t until we had to go to the guest service desk the next day that we found out we were credited for the day missed via OBC. No clear communication was provided for this. 
We had HORRIBLE weather the remainder of that day in terms of ship rockiness, which I get isn’t RCLs fault. 
Next, they have cancelled several activities without notice. Laser tag today was cancelled despite people making reservations and sliding under the stars was cancelled and never announced. 
On day 3 the internet stopped working entirely at around 3ish. The internet was very spotty the day prior but not completely out. Upon noticing the internet outage we went to guest services. They instructed us to wait at the Voom desk until 4 when they would open. There was a mass of people gathered there per the instructions of guest services. At about 3:45 someone showed up berating us and telling us there’s no reason to wait as the internet is down. They stated they’re on the phone with IT via satellite trying to resolve the issue. Again, lack of communication from RCL as we following guest services instructions and were berated by another crew member for following said instructions. 
Let’s fast forward to yesterday. I heard the Alpha call at 10/10:30am. At around 12/12:30pm we were back in the room watching the map of the ships location and I said to my husband we’re going to the wrong way, we’re making a U-Turn. He saw it and asked if I wanted to call guest services. I said no, let’s wait. It wasn’t until 3:30/4pm that they made an announcement about going to San Juan. Again, more lack of communication. Now for today, it was not until 12:30ish that we got the message that we wouldn’t be arriving to PC until 4:30am. Almost 24 hours without any sort of update or ETA of what’s going on. 
People have lives outside of this vacation. While I understand medical emergencies are not planned and I feel horrible for that family, a lot of us are now in tough spots. I have to call my job and let them know that I won’t be in Monday, after taking a week off. Some employers don’t care and people will lose their jobs. The same goes for when the internet went down days before the holiday when people were working and students were taking exams. RCL really needs to do better, especially on the Wonder. The lack of communication is absolutely disgusting, especially when they boast about how great the customer service is. 

Just now, notscb said:

it's interesting how multiple folks on the same ship are coming to this thread with different information, which I think speaks more to the situation being that communication has been poor overall from RCL to those onboard and to those who are now having to wait a day extra for their cruise to depart.

What's true to you clearly isn't true to the other poster, and I'm wondering how that's happening.

I appreciate your comments.  The point I am making is that if I actually heard announcements being made, then they were made. Some folks may have missed some of the announcements for various reasons, but saying they were never made is not true. Just like someone mentioned that we are being "forced" to get off the ship at 0430.  Clearly that is not what the letter states.  Anyone who has ever cruised understands that debarkation takes at least three hours. 

Much of this thread is hyperbole by folks who don't understand how a cruise ship functions. 

• Like 9

Lest we all forget the fiasco of the 5 days before this when the app was not working, website was not working properly, you couldn't book anything, and when you did it didn't take it properly.  All of that was unacceptable.  I still have a charge that's wrong on my credit card because of a cancelled refreshment package that wasn't taken off my credit card.  I'm glad the person got the medical attention they did, but RC should have protocols  procedures in place to deal with these situations.  I love their ships, and have always enjoyed our cruises with RC but lately their customer service and how they handle situations is lacking.  I am planning on enjoying myself on this cruise for sure but it's been very challenging to say the least....

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Wheels87 said:

Much of this thread is hyperbole by folks who don't understand how a cruise ship functions. 

Of course, and when folks are under pressure or stress they tend to not have the most rational approach to what is happening in real time. It's also possible that the announcement wasn't broadcast as widely as the ships officers or cruise director thought it was (which happens all of the time, IME).

I appreciate you confirming some of what's happening, though. It's really helpful in getting a fuller picture for those of us not onboard.

• Like 1

Just now, notscb said:

Of course, and when folks are under pressure or stress they tend to not have the most rational approach to what is happening in real time. It's also possible that the announcement wasn't broadcast as widely as the ships officers or cruise director thought it was (which happens all of the time, IME).

I appreciate you confirming some of what's happening, though. It's really helpful in getting a fuller picture for those of us not onboard.

Truly my pleasure to do so. 

So, to paint clearer picture of how Coco Cay was cancelled...we were actually positioned right alongside the pier at a distance of about 20 meters for about 20 minutes with full thrusters attempting to move us closer to the pier.  The ship simply could not get any closer. The cross wind was at 33 kts according to the ship channel.  Eventually the Captain gave up and pulled away. An announcement was made about fifteen minutes later that we had to miss the port. 

Edited by Wheels87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wheels87 said:

20 meters for about 20 minutes with full thrusters attempting to move us closer to the pier.

I know it's annoying when a stop is missed, but I would have absolutely loved to watch this unfold in real time.

1 hour ago, Cruisejammer22 said:

That seems odd. What are you supposed to do at 4:30 AM in PC? I think 7AM sounds more reasonable. I seriously doubt if shoreside or CBP will be available that early. 

• Like 1