Tampa fog delay??

1 hour ago, billandsue said:

Guest services said the next cruise will depart this evening around 8:00 p.m.

We are boarding Brilliance today. Just got word that the ship will depart at 10:00pm. All aboard at 9:30pm. Add 7 1/2 hours to your scheduled boarding time for your new boarding time. Ship won't dock in Tampa until 5:00pm. I'll believe it when I see it!

Have you heard if Serenade will still dock at Terminal 6?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruisinNole said:

We are boarding Brilliance today. Just got word that the ship will depart at 10:00pm. All aboard at 9:30pm. Add 7 1/2 hours to your scheduled boarding time for your new boarding time. Ship won't dock in Tampa until 5:00pm. I'll believe it when I see it!

Have you heard if Serenade will still dock at Terminal 6?

Watching the Ships on Port Cam. Looks like Serenade will be there first, Brilliance behind her a couple Km

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

I can only imagine all the issues this is going to cause with departing passengers flights.  
 This is the first time I can recall reading about this issue.  I wonder if it is unique to Tampa? 

From what I've read, Galveston periodically deals with the same issue.  Others have posted this is an annual event for Tampa. 

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I can only imagine all the issues this is going to cause with departing passengers flights.  
 This is the first time I can recall reading about this issue.  I wonder if it is unique to Tampa? 

Every winter brings fog into the bay/sea.  Been around a bit longer than cruise lines. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PWP-001 said:

From what I've read, Galveston periodically deals with the same issue.  Others have posted this is an annual event for Tampa. 

Just now, bucfan2 said:

Every winter bring fog into the bay/sea.  Been around a bit longer than cruise lines. 

Thanks.  I had no idea.  Then again it's been more than a couple of years since we sailed out of Tampa.  It's just surprising with the sophistication of the navigational equipment that fog would be that much of an issue but I am glad it's safety first. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruizinnoon said:

Amazingly they are still serving at the bars on BotS

Why not?  All those passengers --many whose travel plans have been interrupted-- might as well enjoy the extension to their cruise.  And why shouldn't RCI take the opportunity to continue earning revenue.  

• Like 2

We once lost the whole first day/night of our cruise because the previous sailing couldn’t get under the Skyway Bridge due to weather ( more than fog). We were refunded for the missed day and given money in OBC to cover expenses related getting your own lunch and dinner landside on the missed day. Plus we got a certain percent off our next cruise. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Lived and cruised in that area for five years. I always tell people not to book super early flights due to the fog issue. No one ever believes me 🤷🏻‍♀️

I departed on Serenade 11/5.  Slight delay on arrival due to fog.  We pulled out on time.  None of us has a crystal ball, nor should anyone give the impression they do.  Ship navigation and flight landings are apples to oranges comparisons.  😀

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Thanks.  I had no idea.  Then again it's been more than a couple of years since we sailed out of Tampa.  It's just surprising with the sophistication of the navigational equipment that fog would be that much of an issue but I am glad it's safety first. 

Google skyway bridge may 9 1980... a freighter collided with a support structure in a squall and took out the old skyway...... Scary

Our Uber could not even get close to terminal,  dropped us a few blocks away.  Lines of hundreds everywhere.  Heard it will be 7 or 8before they even open the doors.  Found a little restaurant Splitsville that has open tables.  Here we are with our luggage.  What a nighmare.

2 hours ago, dappledumpling said:

Google skyway bridge may 9 1980... a freighter collided with a support structure in a squall and took out the old skyway...... Scary

Agree, after that would be surprised if there was no limitations. Also pretty narrow channel where Ships travel. At the time accident my Grandparents crossed that Bridge dozen times a week and lived couple miles from southern end

20 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

You can't predict the weather and an early morning arrival might be the only flight available that will allow you to board the ship before it leaves. Remember those of us that don't live in Florida make our flight arrangements months in advance.

favorite quote of all time, sam wyche then coach of the cincy bengals telling the bengals fans that "you don't live in cleveland"....what a classic....forgive me for getting off of the topic, buy i could not resist.

On 11/30/2022 at 5:22 PM, lovelife said:

In case anyone was wondering what we guests received for missing the first day of this cruise -- absolutely nothing. I'm not suggesting we should or shouldn't get something, but we didn't. 

We received OBC for one day of missed internet package.

I live in the Tampa area, but I would never cruise out of Tampa between late November and early March due to fog. I wish I could say that was always the case, but it took several delays on both embarkation and debarkation before I finally decided no more winter cruises out of Tampa. Fortunately I can drive to multiple ports that don’t have fog issues in under 4 hours. 

Fog and delays in the Tampa port aren't daily events in the Winter season causing cruise ship delays.  Some people don't like to leave from Tampa because ship size is smaller than the mega ships leaving from elsewhere in Florida.  Fine.  To each her/his own choice.

8 hours ago, Longford said:

Fog and delays in the Tampa port aren't daily events in the Winter season causing cruise ship delays.  Some people don't like to leave from Tampa because ship size is smaller than the mega ships leaving from elsewhere in Florida.  Fine.  To each her/his own choice.

Thank you for this confirmation, reading the other posts I was worried that I would miss my flight home because it seemed like fog was the norm… We board Brilliance on Jan. 30th - Feb 5th. I know we cannot predict what Mother Nature has in store for us but it’s nice to hear this issue is possible not probable.