Pre-paid gratuities ... I'm confused

SuperCurmudgeon

I was under the assumption that this was baked into the fare. However, when I reviewed the documentation, I didn't see anything listed. On the HAL site, under "BEFORE YOU LEAVE" there's a link to "Pre-Pay Crew Appreciation". Their wording is a bit confusing (to me, anyway) ...

"In order to ensure that our crew are rewarded for going above and beyond-every time, we add a daily Crew Appreciation of $15.50 per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $17.00 per guest per day for suite guests."

This makes it seem like it's already been added to your fare. However, the window makes it look like we still need to add this, with "ADD TO CART" and "CONTINUE TO REVIEW & BOOK".

I followed up with our TA, and they said pre-paid gratuities  "will be automatically added to your ship board account when you get on the ship." Does this happen when we check-in? 

Edited by SuperCurmudgeon
Deleted image

It is confusing - but yes - it will still always show the box to add them, even if you have the "crew appreciation" or "gratuities" included as part of your booking perk. 

Assuming you have them in your package from your booking, it will all be done after you board. I can't remember how it shows up in your accounting on-board, but you will not be charged for gratuities.

If I recollect - it will appear daily and then have a reversal (credit) against it, don;t quote me on that though.

Edited by rodndonna
more info
  • Like 1

The crew appreciation charge is added daily to your account, one day at a time and per person.  We never have had a problem this.  We then gave extra to who we thought deserved it.

Edited by boards
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SuperCurmudgeon said:

I was under the assumption that this was baked into the fare. However, when I reviewed the documentation, I didn't see anything listed. On the HAL site, under "BEFORE YOU LEAVE" there's a link to "Pre-Pay Crew Appreciation". Their wording is a bit confusing (to me, anyway) ...

"In order to ensure that our crew are rewarded for going above and beyond-every time, we add a daily Crew Appreciation of $15.50 per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $17.00 per guest per day for suite guests."

This makes it seem like it's already been added to your fare. However, the window makes it look like we still need to add this, with "ADD TO CART" and "CONTINUE TO REVIEW & BOOK".

I followed up with our TA, and they said pre-paid gratuities  "will be automatically added to your ship board account when you get on the ship." Does this happen when we check-in? 

Whether Crew Appreciation is part of your fare depends on the promotion for the specific cruise. Are you booked? if so the confirmation PDF will have a list of everything that is included in your reservation (on the last page thereof).

It also shows somewhere on the on-line booking, but I can't direct you where to see it because HAL's website will not log me in today! 

• Like 1

Back in the 'old' days, HAL used to advertise their cruises with 'tipping not required'.  Well, that went by the wayside back in the 90's I think or early 2000's.  Every cruise line that I can think of now automatically adds in the crew tips to everyone's daily account, then adjustments are made if you prepaid or get them included in your package.  When we prepaid, we had a credit listed on our daily room charges to start out with until the crew tips added up to zero.  We choose to prepay grats on all our cruises now just so we don't have a balance at the end of our cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperCurmudgeon said:

However, the window makes it look like we still need to add this, with "ADD TO CART" and "CONTINUE TO REVIEW & BOOK".

To me, this means that you do not have pre paid tips/gratuities/hotel charge/crew appreciation or whatever.

Two places that you can confirm if they are included in your booking are:

1/ On the PDF Booking Confirmation from HAL, on page 3 under the heading "Special Services" will be a list of your promo items for the cruise.  For example:

1999170970_Screenshot2022-11-28235203.thumb.jpg.4418199d1e7827158051b559138ab820.jpg

This indicates, that Guest 1 & 2 in the stateroom have Wifi, Beverage Pack etc, and as you can see, Crew Appreciation is listed.  

2/ The second place to see it is within 'Manage Booking' on the HAL website.  If you log into 'Manage Booking', and select 'Itinerary' it shows (again, as an example):

870894618_Screenshot2022-11-28235740.thumb.jpg.eee60180af5b7659f99ee2af5af61d54.jpg

If it is not in either, then I would be concerned that it is not included in the booking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am confused about this also.  I am considering booking a cruise for February 2023 which states it includes prepaid gratuities and 40% fare discount, but I did a mock booking and don't see the gratuities listed in the fare pricing.  It also says $25 deposit eligible, but after where the pricing is listed it only states the options are to pay in full or do a courtesy hold.

2 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

I am confused about this also.  I am considering booking a cruise for February 2023 which states it includes prepaid gratuities and 40% fare discount, but I did a mock booking and don't see the gratuities listed in the fare pricing.  It also says $25 deposit eligible, but after where the pricing is listed it only states the options are to pay in full or do a courtesy hold.

Sounds like you are within the Final Payment window, so the $25 deposit doesn't apply.

If the Crew Appreciation is included with your HIA, you will still see an option to pre-pay them when you log into your booking. However, when you click on the link it will tell you that they are already paid.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CHIEFWINEMAKER said:

I don’t see the advantage to pre-paying the gratuity. If you have OBC remaining at the end of your cruise you can use that to pay for the gratuity. On a 7 night cruise do they charge you the gratuity for 7 days or 8 ? 

One advantage for me, being from the Netherlands, was that HAL uses a better exchange rate than my credit card company does. So, by prepaying the Crew Appreciation I saved around EUR 150 in total. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

One advantage for me, being from the Netherlands, was that HAL uses a better exchange rate than my credit card company does. So, by prepaying the Crew Appreciation I saved around EUR 150 in total. 

In Canadian dollars, too. HAL exchange is $1.30 , my bank $1,36. On a longer cruise this adds up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SuperCurmudgeon said:

Thx to all for the info. I don't see anything on my itinerary about the gratuities being pre-paid. I clicked on the ""Pre-Pay Crew Appreciation" link, but it's showing an error. It's been like this since yesterday.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 9.45.44 AM.png

I'm getting that message too.

34 minutes ago, SuperCurmudgeon said:

I went to pay the gratuities, and there are more errors. Guess I'll be calling in. So far, the HAL online experience has been underwhelming.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 9.14.54 AM.png

I just checked and it is now working for me but it is still showing as $15.50 per day for our May 14th Cruise. We do have ours included with HIA so it does not allow me to select the passengers but does show the price per person.

Edited by Sea42