Christmas Market Cruise Choice Dec 2024

DeanD

I've just read through the thread by https://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile/1037642-notamermaid/ and found it helpful but did not address my main question.  What a resource notamermaid is.  So knowledgeable and always willing to share.  There are many others as well, really too many to mention by name.  I've explored other thread's as well.

We are planning a Christmas Market Cruise for 2 years from now and trying to decide what route is best.  While we are seasoned cruisers, we only have one river cruise under our belt, the Grand European by Viking this past summer.  As a result of some issues then we have a substantial amount of cruise credit to use toward another cruise ($1300).  I think this will "force" me to chose viking again which we're fine with.  Thinking around a week to week and a half.  Our main choices are whether to do the Rhine, Danube or Elbe.  Leaning to the Rhine (Amsterdam to Basel) since it covers areas we didn't see before even though there is some overlap and it seems that Strasbourg is one of the better locations for Christmas markets.  I realize we don't know what we don't know and this is a completely different trip from a September Cruise Amsterdam to Budapest so all opinions are welcome.  On our previous cruise Vienna was our Favorite stop with Bamburg and Passau also places we wouldn't mind revisiting.  The Elbe sounds very intriguing but the land and bus rides don't sound very appealing.  

Last time we did a pre and post trip with Viking and Viking Air.  Now that we have more experience, thinking of doing the air and any pre or post on our own likely with one extra night before and after, possibly 2 or even 3 days post depending on whether it's somewhere we haven't explored on our previous Viking cruise.  

So my questions are what locations do people feel have the best Christmas markets (I know opinions vary) and with the above info in mind, what recommendations would the group have for route choices?  And if we do chose the Rhine ending in Basel, what are opinions on the amount of time to spend and where?  Thanks in Advance.

I would skip the Elbe cruise... not that there aren´t great markets there but you will pretty likely end up with a stationary ship and bus rides.

Amsterdam - Basel is pretty nice. I´ve just been to Basel for 24 hours and made it to one of the markets there. Except for Basel most of the markets along the Rhine river are "younger" ones. There wasn´t a tradition of Christmas markets in that area.

Starting in Nuremberg on the Canal and then going on the Danube river down to Vienna or Budapest you will cover the most traditional (and older) markets starting with Nuremberg. But be aware that Nuremberg does not open until Friday before the first of Advent. 

steamboats

• Like 1

That Steamboats is just about the best advice, I forgot about that Advent had usually been the general kick off time for the markets, obvious when you think about it.

The nearest we come to Christmas Markets is the ‘Goose Fair’ these are really ancient and go back to the Middle Ages when geese were walked to market for Michaelmas the largest is Nottingham but there are very much smaller ones around England. Although we seem to have borrowed your tradition I’m off to the one in Bath our nearest if we can squeeze in past the tourists!

Thanks, great to know that the Christmas Markets on the Rhine trip will be "younger".  I'd read good things about Strasbourg but that's why I wanted to get input from the group.  We were thinking starting a few days into Dec timing weekends to minimize days off, that should avoid any issues with markets not being open.  I'll be nearing retirement but likely not be quite there by then.  I am more concerned with seeing the best markets which is why I wanted a reality check from those with knowledge and experience.  

I truly appreciate the input.  To be honest, the 2 of you were ones that came to mind when I said "There are many others as well".  You were both so helpful when planning our Sept Grand European Cruise.  

13 hours ago, DeanD said:

We are planning a Christmas Market Cruise for 2 years from now and trying to decide what route is best. 

Take a tour in December, when all Christmas markets really are open. In 2024 Dec 1st will be the first Advent, so you are fine after that date. Take a detailed look into the itineraries. Christmas markets develop their charme in twilight/darkness, while during daylight hours they could be quite sobering. So a stop noon and 3pm is a different experience from an evening tour.

While Christmas markets may have a longer tradition in Saxony/Bavaria/Austria, this does not really matter any longer. They have spread. Much more important is the stage of a historic surroundings in preserved medieval cities.

In Saxony, many fine and historical markets are in the mountains away from the river and therefore not touched by a cruise. So a combination, cruise and land tour might also be an option to look at. Enjoy your planning

• Like 1

After reviewing Vikings options for the Danube, there are 2.  One is Regensburg to Budapest (Pre/Post option for Prague or Nuremberg/Prague) and the other Passau to Budapest (Pre/Post Munich/Salzburg).  The latter adds Linz and Bratislava but drops Regensburg.  Since we did not see Linz or Bratislava on our previous trip and didn't enjoy Regensburg (partly due to water level issues), that is where I am leaning (skipping Regensburg).  The other question is which direction to go but inclined to go South ending in Budapest.  We'd love to get a couple of extra days in Vienna which might make going North a better option..

17 hours ago, DeanD said:

What a resource notamermaid is.  So knowledgeable and always willing to share.  There are many others as well, really too many to mention by name.  I've explored other thread's as well.

Thank you very much for the kind words. Steamboats appears to be the local running around the markets the most :classic_smile:, but I am happy to read AnhalterER1960's comments from the East as well, hoping he is enjoying the local markets. Our "man on the Elbe" is the source of info on that river. Additionally this year we know of a couple doing a Christmas market cruise on the Elbe, so if they have time I am sure they will be happy to post about their experience. Go here to that thread and perhaps ask them later in the year: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2827573-the-elbe-river-2022-not-just-water-levels/page/3/#comment-64333335

All in all, I would tend to go for the Rhine or Danube over the Elbe for a winter cruise. Ending in Budapest sounds great. I cannot say much about the Rhine or the Danube from my own experience of markets - I tend to go to ones that are off the beaten track of river cruising, but enjoy Koblenz every year for an hour or two - so will leave suggestions to others. If I had the choice, I personally would try and get something on the Main but I reckon the choice for you is limited.

I tend to steer towards a five night cruise rather than longer and add a couple of days before and/or after the cruise to have a more intensive experience of a port/area. If there is a river cruise with Viking for the Moselle and Rhine during Advent in 2024 I would consider that as well if I were you. If you have a bit of time with booking, have a read in the roll calls for this running season, perhaps people will comment on which markets are visited late in the day. No point being there at 11am when the market opens and yes, as my fellow Germans have pointed out, the opening times are important to check with Sunday of the Dead being the day of closure and a kind of "hinging day", i.e. orientation for first day of opening.

As regards age and tradition of markets and the ambience, yes that varies a lot. For big tradition Nuremberg is a must-see, for atmosphere perhaps Strasbourg is even better - feel free to disagree anyone. Alsace is certainly an area with long Christmas traditions, the first Christmas market was held there in 1570, and Sélestat is "home of the Christmas tree".

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Another issue that I have seen mentioned on this Forum from time to time is the origin of the goods being sold at Christmas markets.  Is there a better itinerary for those seeking genuine local items, rather than Chinese imports?

14 hours ago, steamboats said:

I would skip the Elbe cruise... not that there aren´t great markets there but you will pretty likely end up with a stationary ship and bus rides.

steamboats

The Elbe can have issues with low water table, yes. Mostly in summer, sometimes in autumn. But not in winter. Since Christmas markets are usually held in December, you do not have to worry that the ships are fixed to the ground then. This "pretty likely" does not apply to Decembers.

If you do the Danube cruise Passau to Budapest  I would suggest you spend some time in Salzburg before hand  very good train service form Salzburg to Passau &great Christmas market. Also there is a very good Mozart dinner in St Peter Cellars. If you go the other way starting Budapest to Passau do Salzburg afterwards. Europe has very good rail system so v easy to connect to Munich,  Vienna or Zurich  for flights home. Budapest is said to have one of the best Christmas markets.

8 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

The Elbe can have issues with low water table, yes. Mostly in summer, sometimes in autumn. But not in winter. Since Christmas markets are usually held in December, you do not have to worry that the ships are fixed to the ground then. This "pretty likely" does not apply to Decembers.

Yes, I know that the problems mainly occur during summer. But actually we´re talking about Viking and their ships are not really buildt for the Elbe river... (except that they are a bit shorter than those on the Rhine/Main/Danube rivers). They always are running into problems.

If we were talking about CroisiEurope I say go for the Elbe river but not with Viking.

steamboats

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

Yes, I know that the problems mainly occur during summer. But actually we´re talking about Viking and their ships are not really buildt for the Elbe river... (except that they are a bit shorter than those on the Rhine/Main/Danube rivers). They always are running into problems.

If we were talking about CroisiEurope I say go for the Elbe river but not with Viking.

steamboats

I'm not questioning but I am confused.  The Viking ships on the Elbe are only 2 decks instead of 3 in addition to being shorter.  I assumed that meant they'd have a more shallow draft.  

Yes, the have a shallower draft than the classic longships. But anyway they are drawing too much water. And during the summer season they are usully stationary and used as floating hotel.

BTW the number of decks is not necessarily connected with the depth of the draft.

steamboats

7 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Yes, the have a shallower draft than the classic longships. But anyway they are drawing too much water. And during the summer season they are usully stationary and used as floating hotel.

BTW the number of decks is not necessarily connected with the depth of the draft.

steamboats

Thanks.  I do realize there are other variables but I would think it likely a shorter ship with less decks is lighter and would have a more shallow draft.  I expected that was the entire reason to make them smaller though I suppose it could be bridge issues as well. This itinerary is intriguing to me but even without the possibility of river issues, I'd decided against it due to the bus and land portion plus I was looking at the post trip options that are another 2 days of busses. 

I'm going to try to find out more about specifics on the timing of itineraries.  That was a good point to make sure one would actually be able to see the Christmas markets during an appropriate time.  

Vienna is definitely worth a couple days and the markets are especially wonderful in the evening. Of course so was Nuremberg and Strasbourg with spectacular markets. And Mainz, with a large, and several smaller markets. Or even the Thurn and Taxis Palace market in Regensburg. 
Whatever you decide on, you definitely want to research the city before you go. There are a lot of Christmas festivities (concerts and choirs) that you can attend if your ship stays late. 

• Like 1

I think we've decided on Passau to Budapest we may forego the extra time in Vienna for now.  We'll do the pre extension for Munich and Salzburg but none post since we're in Budapest for 2 nights on the ship and we feel we've seen Budapest from a non Christmas standpoint.  It was a difficult decision and the main reasons we made this choice was our investigation suggested Vienna and Budapest were 2 of the highest rated markets and there are 2 stops we did not see on our Grande European Cruise.  I'm sure all 3 choices (alternates Regensburg-Budapest or Amsterdam to Basel) would have been great.  

Now I have to decide whether to take the train back to Vienna and do flights on our own or put Vienna off for another trip.  I'm going to add the Viking Air for now so lock in the price and review as we get closer and can compare booking independently.  

On 11/29/2022 at 8:21 PM, DeanD said:

Last time we did a pre and post trip with Viking and Viking Air.

Sorry to be a little off topic, but we have booked a Christmas Market Viking cruise for 2024 on the Danube and added the Prague and Budapest pre/post options.  I was curious what’s your thoughts were.  The costs are definitely not cheap, but we are also the ones that generally book cruise line excursions for convenience and protection from missing the ship etc.  Prague is 3.5 hours from Passat (embarkation) and the extension covers transfers etc.  This is our first river cruise and our first to these cities so we felt more comfortable with the added costs to have someone take the hard work out for us and have that extra convenience and protection on the front end of the cruise.  Appreciate your insights and thanks for the slight thread hijack!

21 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

Sorry to be a little off topic, but we have booked a Christmas Market Viking cruise for 2024 on the Danube and added the Prague and Budapest pre/post options.  I was curious what’s your thoughts were.  The costs are definitely not cheap, but we are also the ones that generally book cruise line excursions for convenience and protection from missing the ship etc.  Prague is 3.5 hours from Passat (embarkation) and the extension covers transfers etc.  This is our first river cruise and our first to these cities so we felt more comfortable with the added costs to have someone take the hard work out for us and have that extra convenience and protection on the front end of the cruise.  Appreciate your insights and thanks for the slight thread hijack!

Our Grande European trip in Sept was our first time to Europe and our first River Cruise so I felt more comfortable limiting uncertainties and booked everything through Viking.  I ended up booking this trip the same as well or at least that's where we'll be tomorrow or Tuesday once the TA gets it booked (waiting on a replacement CC).  But the reasons are different.  I now plan to book the air and pre extension with Viking to lock in costs.  Then I'm going to keep an eye on discounts and specials as we go along.  Then once I can book air myself, I plan to reevaluate my options.  If I end up booking air separately, there's a good chance I'll alter my pre/post choices as well.  

I think I'm about the say the same as @DeanD:  if you are booking your air through Viking, the extra cost of the pre- and post-cruise extensions is mitigated because you will be flying when and where they expect you do under the basic air program.

It also means that Viking will be there taking care of every detail from the minute you arrive in Europe until you get to the airport heading home – this is worth a lot, even to an experienced traveler like me and it was worth even more on our first European river cruise!  Don't count the cost, consider it in the 'don't leave home without it' category!

• Like 2

I booked a cruise for June through Uniworld and I decided to do everything through Uniworld.  Yes it is not cheap but I love the idea of being taken care of and not worry how I am going to get from Lucerne to Basal.  This is my first time booking pre and post excursions through the river cruise line so we will see how it goes.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say the markets in Salzburg were amazing in 2018. We also went into the Lake District in Austria for St. Wolfgang and St. Gilgen. It was so beautiful there. Their markets were impressive. Absolutely loved Vienna's markets and spent several days there. I would love to return to Vienna and Salzburg at Christmas time.

I love this area!