Why do you think Princess is having excess Covid cases and not P&O, Carnival or RCL.

korky1

7 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Princess is testing, other lines are not.

I would say it is NZ requirement. Besides Princess have already had a couple of major headline situations (Diamond and Ruby), they want to avoid more. Even if testing will show increased cases.

As to the original post question, Ovation has arrived in Sydney today as tier 2. I don't know if the media has noticed it this morning yet, as it doesn't have Princess in its name.

The big headline for Majestic was the 800 cases on their 31st October departure. Princess didn't voluntarily test anybody to reach those numbers. It required passengers with symptoms to come forward, then test positive. When the protocol numbers are triggered, the next port requires everyone to be tested, and that is where the big numbers arise from. If passengers with symptoms don't get tested, the protocol number isn't triggered and there is no enforced screening of passengers.

All the lobbying from cruise lines about being able to control the bug on their ships is bollocks, as it is relying on passengers to volunteer that they may have it and to put their hand up to be isolated.

Princess passengers are more likely to ask to be tested, and not Princess requiring passengers to test more.

• Like 1

From comments I've seen elsewhere there seem to be a certain percentage of passengers who don't believe in reporting symptoms and/or who don't do mandatory RATs properly (not sure how) so they test negative, then brag and joke about it. Go figure!

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

From comments I've seen elsewhere there seem to be a certain percentage of passengers who don't believe in reporting symptoms and/or who don't do mandatory RATs properly (not sure how) so they test negative, then brag and joke about it. Go figure!

Really, perhaps they should be banned from cruising for life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There must be enough with a conscience to trigger elevated covid levels. If nobody tests, there is no covid.

58 minutes ago, arxcards said:

There must be enough with a conscience to trigger elevated covid levels. If nobody tests, there is no covid.

Sure, but probably not as many as there should be especially early on in a cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sure, but probably not as many as there should be especially early on in a cruise.

I agree. My reasoning being that ships that aren't triggering tier 2 have less passengers that are willing to have symptoms tested than those on Princess.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I agree. My reasoning being that ships that aren't triggering tier 2 have less passengers that are willing to have symptoms tested than those on Princess.

The other point to remember is that in terms of numbers Tier 2 and Tier 3 are different for each ship as it is a percentage of passengers and crew, not a fixed number. 

So for Coral Princess Tier 2 kicks in at around 87 cases, Tier 3 at around 290 cases, based on lower berth and crew counts.

Majestic Princess is 147 and 490 cases respectively.

Ovation of the Seas is 164 and 548 cases respectively.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The other point to remember is that in terms of numbers Tier 2 and Tier 3 are different for each ship as it is a percentage of passengers and crew, not a fixed number. 

So for Coral Princess Tier 2 kicks in at around 87 cases, Tier 3 at around 290 cases, based on lower berth and crew counts.

Majestic Princess is 147 and 490 cases respectively.

Ovation of the Seas is 164 and 548 cases respectively.

Yep and tier 2 for Australia is about 750k, pretty close to what the health authorities are suggesting are out and about on land.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:13 PM, bretts173 said:

Under 45 on princess head to kids club.

I resemble that comment

On 12/3/2022 at 8:11 PM, Ozwoody said:

You do not offend people by asking questions, people make replies, which get replies, you then take from it what you will. That's the point of forums.

Have a great trip.

Regards

Meh, either risk offending or be a doormat. Either way, can't please everybody.

On 12/4/2022 at 1:51 AM, Ozwoody said:

For me the test every second day was voluntary, they did not ask me to, just did it as I thought it the right thing to do. I got the impression they wanted me to do the three times a day trip to save them doing it.

Did Princess supply tests or expect you to do it?

On 12/5/2022 at 12:52 AM, Sallyandtex said:

There was many from USA aboard.

There were SO many maskless people coughing and blowing noses all around us! Even saw people leaving their used tissues on the dinner plates in the Lido and MDR for the staff to clean (YUK). A good percentage seemed to be doing what they wanted with disregard for fellow passengers. (My guess is they didn't test so they could continue as normal.) So, the numbers would be out of skew.

This made me so anxious I am reluctant to cruise again for a while.

That is so not Japan. There are still masks there EVERYWHERE. Occasionally, you'll see a maskless local, but it's mostly obviously tourists without masks in Japan these days.

22 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

On Coral everyone is RAT testing tomorrow morning. I assume the NZ government is insisting.

Who is supplying the tests?

20 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Princess is testing, other lines are not.

Are they supplying them or asking you to or otherwise charging passengers for them?

13 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Yep and tier 2 for Australia is about 750k, pretty close to what the health authorities are suggesting are out and about on land.

True, but Australia doesn't get to go home at the end of the week and reset to zero like a ship does.

It has taken Australia around 9 weeks to increase from tier 1 to tier 2, but some ships can manage that in a week, go back near to zero and do it all over again with a new crowd the following week.