Iceland post-cruise: Ideas on what to do for 3 days/2 nights before USA return?

CCWineLover

We are finishing our Iceland cruise in Reykjavik this coming June.  The ship arrives in the morning.  We need to find a place in/near Reykjavik and then figure out what to see/do for the 3 days before late afternoon flight home.   

We are considering  Golden Circle Tour, Snaefellsnes Peninsula, or a Southern Coast tour.  Not sure if I feel up to driving however.  We are very mobile though and enjoy walking/hiking.  Hopefully tours can pick up at ship and drop off at a hotel on our first day.   I'm leaning towards Golden Circle the first day, Southern Coast the 2nd day, and Blue Lagoon the 3rd day.

Thoughts, ideas?

54 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We are finishing our Iceland cruise in Reykjavik this coming June.  The ship arrives in the morning.  We need to find a place in/near Reykjavik and then figure out what to see/do for the 3 days before late afternoon flight home.   

We are considering  Golden Circle Tour, Snaefellsnes Peninsula, or a Southern Coast tour.  Not sure if I feel up to driving however.  We are very mobile though and enjoy walking/hiking.  Hopefully tours can pick up at ship and drop off at a hotel on our first day.   I'm leaning towards Golden Circle the first day, Southern Coast the 2nd day, and Blue Lagoon the 3rd day.

Thoughts, ideas?

You can find excellent tours to all those places. Consider stopping at the Blue Lagoon on your way back to the airport…there are also tours that do that!  I prefer not to drive in Iceland; roads much different outside of Reykjavik than in the US or Canada.

• Like 1

If you enjoy hiking, we really enjoyed these hikes ( but to have the freedom to hike, a car would be best):

- hot river hike at Hveragerdi

- hike to Glymur Waterfall

- don’t just see the famous  Skogafoss on the South Coast, actually hike to the top and then along by the river, there’s even more waterfalls to amaze you.

The first 2 hikes are about 40 mins from Reykjavik. The hot river was so fun and the hike to Glymur waterfall was the best thing we did. It’s a half day hike but you need a sense of adventure as there’s a bit of a scramble and you need to cross a river to hike back down. Really amazing views though. I would consider the Skogafoss waterfall hike easy and you can walk as far as you would like before turning back.

I would recommend a car. The driving was easy. Also be sure to book the Blue Lagoon months in advance. The South Coast Tour is a very long day so factor that in to your timings.

• Like 2

These are three good suggestions but I would definitely suggest renting a car - car rental in Iceland is expensive though - but so are excursions.  
There are good roads in Iceland and very easy to navigate.  

Note, however, that rental cars are not allowed to drive on all roads, but for the areas you mention it is not a problem.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 9:37 AM, Nitemare said:

Driving is easy, but if you want to do tours, a 2 night/1 day tour of the South Coast out to Jokulsarlon would be the best bang for your buck.

Even our one day South Coast tour was fabulous. Stunningly beautiful. I think the South Coast is a “don’t miss.”

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Even our one day South Coast tour was fabulous. Stunningly beautiful. I think the South Coast is a “don’t miss.”

Thanks, Turles06!  What tour did you take?  Did they pick up at hotels?  Some I see pick up at bus stops or downtown Museum.    We'll likely not drive - would feel more comfortable to let someone else do that.  There are so many tour groups available that it is hard to choose and evaluate.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Turles06!  What tour did you take?  Did they pick up at hotels?  Some I see pick up at bus stops or downtown Museum.    We'll likely not drive - would feel more comfortable to let someone else do that.  There are so many tour groups available that it is hard to choose and evaluate.

We had a two-day port call in Reykjavik, and used one of those days for a small group tour (about 16 people from our Roll Call) with GeoIceland.  One of the best tours we've ever taken.  Fabulous guide, terrific company, and a partner with Saga Travel (which operates more in northern Iceland), which I think also gets excellent reviews here on CC, but do check.  During the pandemic, I'd read here on CC that GeoIceland had gone out of business, but looking now on the internet I see they are back.  (Obviously, I have no idea what changes might have been made.)  Also, looking at Saga Travel's website, they both appear to be under common ownership.  (Scroll to the bottom of each home page under the About Us info.)

In terms of hotel pickups, they list many pickup options on their website (once you get into the booking page).  They were great in replying to emails and terrific to deal with, so ask them any questions you have.

https://geoiceland.is/

https://sagatravel.is/

Have a great time!

Edited by Turtles06
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, PhillyTravelBug said:

Thank you for those suggestions! We arrive two days before our cruise begins and definitely see more activities that I want to do than I have time for. Also having a tough decision deciding between the sky lagoon or the blue lagoon.

We had a lovely evening at Sky Lagoon - water is not blue but you look out over the bay and much less crowded.  Also closer in to Reykjavik.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We need something a little more short term.  We have a 5 PM flight coming home, so I assume we need to be at the airport by 3.  Looking for something to do after getting off the ship and it would be great to have an airport drop off.

Also, any tour groups that pick up at the airport (early am) and maybe drop off at hotel late afternoon?

I recommend 3 hours at KEF.  It's a small airport but lots of international flights leave at the same time and check in lines can be quite long.

There are tours that pickup at KEF.  Check Reykjanes Tours, that's a company that did this kind of thing a few years ago.  Otherwise, RE.is does big bus tours and I think they have some starting at the airport.  They may also have some smaller options

On 1/14/2023 at 8:06 AM, janetcbl said:

There used to be a tour that would pick you up at the ship, deliver you to the Blue Lagoon for a few hours and then take you to the airport . They handed your luggage. Don’t know if it is still available.

Blue Lagoon offers city pickup with luggage transfer to the Spa and then on to the airport.  You can book it on their site

42 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Blue Lagoon offers city pickup with luggage transfer to the Spa and then on to the airport.  You can book it on their site

Great idea!  Most people seem to want pickup at KEF, tour and drop at ship or hotel.  We obviously want the reverse (pick up at hotel or city, tour, and drop off at KEF.  Something to fill the final day in Reykjavik without doing a rental car.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:17 AM, cwms said:

We need something a little more short term.  We have a 5 PM flight coming home, so I assume we need to be at the airport by 3.  Looking for something to do after getting off the ship and it would be great to have an airport drop off.

Also, any tour groups that pick up at the airport (early am) and maybe drop off at hotel late afternoon?

Just booked a Blue Lagoon 10am spot and added transfers at 9:30 am from KEF to Blue Lagoon, after the visit transfers at 3:00 pm from Blue Lagoon to Downtown City Center at Bus Stop #1 which is 2 mins from our hotel.   Did it directly on their website and the reverse route was also available.

Edited by Kari and David
  • Like 1

I am doing the NCL Prima leaving Reykjavik in July leaves on a Thursday and we plan on getting in a few days before on Tuesday morning.  My question is can you do the Golden Circle in the afternoon like from 2 pm to 7pm?  We arrive at 9am and the wife would like to nap at our air bnb before heading out for the day.  I can’t seem to find a Golden Circle tour that leaves around 2pm as they all seem to start at noon at the latest so looking at private tours I guess.  If we can get the Golden Circle done on the first day in the afternoon then I can book a Southern Coast tour for the next day which is our only full day in Reykjavik.  The 3rd day the cruise leaves at 6pm so I was thinking of doing something like the lava tube in the morning and then walking around Reykjavik until the boat leaves that evening.  Thoughts on if this is a doable itinerary or any other suggestions on the best way to fill those days?

15 hours ago, Snate said:

I am doing the NCL Prima leaving Reykjavik in July leaves on a Thursday and we plan on getting in a few days before on Tuesday morning.  My question is can you do the Golden Circle in the afternoon like from 2 pm to 7pm?  We arrive at 9am and the wife would like to nap at our air bnb before heading out for the day.  I can’t seem to find a Golden Circle tour that leaves around 2pm as they all seem to start at noon at the latest so looking at private tours I guess.  If we can get the Golden Circle done on the first day in the afternoon then I can book a Southern Coast tour for the next day which is our only full day in Reykjavik.  The 3rd day the cruise leaves at 6pm so I was thinking of doing something like the lava tube in the morning and then walking around Reykjavik until the boat leaves that evening.  Thoughts on if this is a doable itinerary or any other suggestions on the best way to fill those days?

the tour we booked says it’s 11 hours. That includes a two hour stop at the blue lagoon. Ours leaves on a Thursday as well in August. Maybe rent a car??

2 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

the tour we booked says it’s 11 hours. That includes a two hour stop at the blue lagoon. Ours leaves on a Thursday as well in August. Maybe rent a car??

Trying to avoid renting a car if possible.  Also, not interested in the Blue Lagoon.  Hoping to find some way to do the Golden Circle tour later in the day with someone.

I did filter this with an afternoon setting. Your says 7 hours without the blue lagoon. May be a good place to start. This is who we booked through.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Reykjavik/Golden-Circle-Classic-Day-Trip-from-Reykjavik/d905-2970AH12

Edited by PhillyTravelBug

On 1/25/2023 at 8:15 PM, Snate said:

5 hours would be a VERY fast Golden Circle tour.  Basically a "yep, seen it, move on" visit.

Looks like I won’t be able to do Golden Circle.  Our one full day will be a south coast tour as many have told us that is the better option versus the Golden Circle.  That leaves the afternoon and evening of the day we arrive and the morning and afternoon of the day our cruise leaves (at 6pm) to find stuff to do in or near Reykjavik.   We may do the lava tube/volcano tour the morning of our ship departure since it is only 3 hours and leaves at 9am giving us plenty of time to board the ship.  Not sure what to do with our luggage that day as we are staying at a air bnb not a hotel and we have to be out by 11am.  

2 hours ago, Snate said:

Looks like I won’t be able to do Golden Circle.  Our one full day will be a south coast tour as many have told us that is the better option versus the Golden Circle.  That leaves the afternoon and evening of the day we arrive and the morning and afternoon of the day our cruise leaves (at 6pm) to find stuff to do in or near Reykjavik.   We may do the lava tube/volcano tour the morning of our ship departure since it is only 3 hours and leaves at 9am giving us plenty of time to board the ship.  Not sure what to do with our luggage that day as we are staying at a air bnb not a hotel and we have to be out by 11am.  

Been researching for our cruise and can only do one Golden Circle or South Coast,  Seems like this thread is pro South Coast. I keep leaning that way despite mainstream saying Golden Circle is the go to.  Curious what specific attractions or feedback from others on the South Coast made you change your mind. Guidance from anyone that has been to both appreciated.

I've been to Iceland twice and have yet been to the Golden Circle.  From other travel boards, I keep hearing that the GC is underwhelming once you've seen the rest of Iceland.  I suspect it's only a "thing to do" over other destinations because it is in easy day trip proximity to Reykjavik.  Many recommendations are that if you plan to see most of Iceland, in say, a ring road driving trip, that you do the GC first.  There is history there, with the site of Northern Europe's first parliament.

The south coast has gorgeous waterfalls -Seljalandsfoss, which you can walk behind - Gljúfrabúi, next to Seljalandsfoss, which is hidden in a crack in the cliff you access by going thru the cliff a bit, and Skogafoss, which has stairs you can climb to see it from above and/or hike a bit along the river that feeds it.

It also has the black sand beach with basalt columns near Vik.  And it just has amazing scenery.  Driving east, there's ocean to one side and green cliffs with single houses and ribbon waterfalls to the other.

It's really too long for an enjoyable day trip, but a few hours past Vik are 2 glaciers that abut lagoons you can take boats out to see, or take an excursion out on to the glacier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1