FTTF experience

IrishSails

I have it for our cruise in two weeks, but I ended up with the earliest boarding time, so I cannot test arriving early. Seems like a waste of money at this point, but my wife would like to keep it to be able to put carryon luggage in the room right away.

Maybe I will make up a reason to need to speak to guest services when the line is longest so I can just walk by them all and get assistance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We used to purchase FTTF before we turned platinum.  It was great!!  You are able to get to your room early and drop off your carry on or what ever else you had in hand.  You get priority at guest services, and tender boarding.  We felt it was worth every penny.  It was important for us to get into our room and drop off all our bags.  You determine what's important for you.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, asalligo said:

I have it for our cruise in two weeks, but I ended up with the earliest boarding time, so I cannot test arriving early. Seems like a waste of money at this point, but my wife would like to keep it to be able to put carryon luggage in the room right away.

Maybe I will make up a reason to need to speak to guest services when the line is longest so I can just walk by them all and get assistance. 

The short line at guest services is one of my favorite things about FTTF.  You don't plan on going to guest services, but end up going there for unexpected reasons.

• Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 7:50 PM, Anyislandwilldo said:

We used to purchase FTTF before we turned platinum.  It was great!!  You are able to get to your room early and drop off your carry on or what ever else you had in hand.  You get priority at guest services, and tender boarding.  We felt it was worth every penny.  It was important for us to get into our room and drop off all our bags.  You determine what's important for you.

The thing we loved about it before the restart was that we’d get priority access to our staterooms. However, that was not a guarantee that our cabin would be ready. And half the time we’d show up and they’d be in the process of cleaning it. So, I’m thinking they have changed the wording on that to say that you can drop off your bags to your room. Which clearly doesn’t mean that the cabin will be ready. That change worries me a little bit but we will be buying it again to find out 😆.

On 12/10/2022 at 2:00 PM, pinklucky61 said:

The short line at guest services is one of my favorite things about FTTF.  You don't plan on going to guest services, but end up going there for unexpected reasons.

YES, indeed!  

On my 2nd Carnival cruise, our oceanview cabin wasn't receiving any air conditioning; the air wasn't being dried or dehumidified, even though it supposedly met CCL's temperature standards.  I had to make several visits to Guest Services before the situation was finally resolved*, and having FTTF saved me AT LEAST 60-90 minutes that first night.  It might have saved our entire cruise.  😮 

---

* I threatened to invoke the Carnival Vacation Guarantee; they moved us to the only available stateroom on the ship...a balcony.  

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 2:57 AM, Pellaz said:

YES, indeed!  

On my 2nd Carnival cruise, our oceanview cabin wasn't receiving any air conditioning; the air wasn't being dried or dehumidified, even though it supposedly met CCL's temperature standards.  I had to make several visits to Guest Services before the situation was finally resolved*, and having FTTF saved me AT LEAST 60-90 minutes that first night.  It might have saved our entire cruise.  😮 

---

* I threatened to invoke the Carnival Vacation Guarantee; they moved us to the only available stateroom on the ship...a balcony.  

I would have done the same.  No AC in my cabin - no way! - I would rather not cruise. 

BTW, I just noticed Carnival is no longer offering the Carnival Great Vacation Guarantee.  All mention of it seems to have disappeared from their website.  Anyone know how long ago that happened?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

BTW, I just noticed Carnival is no longer offering the Carnival Great Vacation Guarantee.  All mention of it seems to have disappeared from their website.  Anyone know how long ago that happened?

Probably had to discontinue it because people were invoking it for bacon reasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Probably had to discontinue it because people were invoking it for bacon reasons.

Do you mean BS reasons or were people literally invoking it because Carnival didn't have bacon at breakfast.

Because if it is the second, that is one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time!  "Yes, I am canceling my cruise because the Bacon is taking a Ba-cation from the Buffet."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I would have done the same.  No AC in my cabin - no way! - I would rather not cruise. 

My guess is they got rid of it because people they thought masses of people would invoke it if there was one case of covid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Do you mean BS reasons or were people literally invoking it because Carnival didn't have bacon at breakfast.

Because if it is the second, that is one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time!  "Yes, I am canceling my cruise because the Bacon is taking a Ba-cation from the Buffet."

I was making fun of the people on this board who lost their minds over the bacon issue, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The first time I sailed Carnival from NYC it was $49 and I had no clue what it was about. Had sailed other lines prior and you got on when you got on.. Never bought it.  Was on the ship in about 10 minutes in a blizzard.

I still think it's a waste of money but hey, if it floats your boat, go for it!

Currently Platinum and still have never waited more than 10 minutes to board.

My Carnival sailings have been NYC (8X) and Baltimore (7X).  All easy.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, pinklucky61 said:

On my Europe cruise this summer, there were so many platinum and diamonds that the "special" line was often longer than the normal line. Oddly enough, a couple of times people were continuing to stand in it even when there was a much shorter line in the regular line. 🤔  Couldn't figure that one out at all.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree about guest services, you never know. I had a luggage issue, and had to go several times. The regular line was LONG. I was glad to have FTTF. Guy behind me had some snide remarks for the rep when I walked away, she had to explain I had purchased fttf. I laughed. Whatever. But also cut the l8ne greeting on, tendering, getting to room. We did buy it for February and plan to keep it. After that I will be platinum. Woo hoo 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, groundloop said:

I actually paid for FTTF one time, and then it dawned on me what a colossal ripoff it is.  All that money and the only tangible thing I got for it was being able to get on the ship a little bit earlier.  No Thanks.

I have had it when it was a waste of money when people i knew behind me boarded the ship half an hour after me. I have also had it when it was well worth it. In New Orleans we boarded the ship at noon and a couple we know sat in the terminal until 4pm. Never found out what took so long to get people boarded, but it was certainly a day to be at the front of the line and not the back. 

• Like 1

Before we turned platinum, FTTF was always worth it to us. Yes, the priority boarding is nice but the main reasons I always bought it was for the priority tender and early cabin access. I am carrying on 2 cases (24pk) of Dr. Pepper and I want to drop it off in the cabin when we embark with our carry on items, rather than lug them around until 1:30'ish. Then in ports, we never ever do Carnival excursions. We always book something with the locals. It's nice to be out in the port on our excursion doing things while others are still trying to debark the ship. The earlier start we can get, the better. Then the last night of the voyage I go to guest services to pay our balance off with the discounted gift cards, so it's nice to not be standing behind eleventy bazillion people. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 6:27 PM, Eli_6 said:

On my Europe cruise this summer, there were so many platinum and diamonds that the "special" line was often longer than the normal line. Oddly enough, a couple of times people were continuing to stand in it even when there was a much shorter line in the regular line. 🤔  Couldn't figure that one out at all.  

lol, I've seen that, too.  

On one cruise when I had FTTF, I walked up to the Guest Services area.  There was no-one in the Priority line, one person just finishing at the counter, and one person now walking up to speak to the sole Guest Services rep at the counter from the regular line.  I just got into the regular line.  When she called me up and saw my card the woman said "Oh, sir, you could have used the Priority line!" and I answered "There's only one of you here, and it's not THAT busy.  No need to do that."   Her surprised and gratified smile was a great reward.  

On 12/13/2022 at 5:46 PM, groundloop said:

I actually paid for FTTF one time, and then it dawned on me what a colossal ripoff it is.  All that money and the only tangible thing I got for it was being able to get on the ship a little bit earlier.  No Thanks.

But for many who are not yet Platinum, the tangibles can really make a difference.  

• Want to reserve a good cabana location at Half Moon Cay?  You REALLY want to be onboard ASAP because they are first-come, first-served.  
  • Want to book the Behind the Fun tour (if it ever returns)?   You also REALLY want to be onboard ASAP since it sells out pretty quickly.  
  • Have a tender port or two?  FTTF gets you priority tender access.  
  • Have an issue that requires a visit to Guest Services?  FTTF could save you 30 minutes waiting...or more.  

On 12/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, Joebucks said:

Unless my room is inaccessible, there is no way I'm going to guest services that first night. Let alone cheer that I paid $100 to get there quicker.

Why not the first night?  Are you expecting Guest Services to be especially busy?  

On 12/13/2022 at 6:22 AM, ShakyBeef said:

If it had been a short cruise we might have tried to tough it out, even though my sister has medical issues and she would have been miserable.  

But this was our first long cruise, a 6-nighter on the Liberty, and that Priority line probably saved it.  

On 12/13/2022 at 6:22 AM, ShakyBeef said:

Almost certain it went away along with the rise of COVID.   For obvious reasons; I can't say I blame them one bit.  

Now, as to whether it ever returns......  

Edited by Pellaz
Clarification

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Why not the first night?  Are you expecting Guest Services to be especially busy?  

Guest services is a zoo the first night. A bunch of people who need resolution to nothing. If I need to go, I'll wait until it dies down.

On 12/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, groundloop said:

When we had it, it was first off much cheaper than it is now. I was also traveling with a special needs 10 year old and the early access to the cabin where he could get settled right away was priceless. At the time, you could go and stay in your cabin upon boarding not just drop off luggage. And we had a cabana at HMC so I wanted my choice of which we got. Again, away from the noise for the same little dude. For us, it has never been worth it if we were not sailing with him. Everyone has their own circumstances. 

• Like 2