Cabin fever on return leg from Hawaii?

Petronillus

We have done this Hawaii trip 3 times plus a handful of Transatlantics, so we have experience with sea days. IMO if you can entertain yourself then you will be fine. If, instead, you need to be entertained, then a lot of sea days may not work for you.

As others have said, because the port activity is intense when you get to Hawaii, the sea days back across the Pacific are relaxing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My goodness,  why choose this cruise??

We have a timeshare since the 80's on Maui (Westin  KORV and Nanea) We've lived and visited the islands (except Molokai, but keep trying) and we are so looking forward to this cruise!

We, too, have a timeshare on Maui (Marriott Maui Ocean Club) but the rest of the cruise is on hubby's bucket list....

I have a Hawaii cruise booked for next November.  One of the selling points for me was the amount of sea days.  I love them.  But, as a solo traveler and a solo person in life itself, I love the challenge of entertaining myself wherever I am.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

But, as a solo traveler and a solo person in life itself, I love the challenge of entertaining myself wherever I am.

I love this sentiment!  Although happily married to a great traveler, I truly enjoy tuning into myself and exploring things on my own while cruising.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 8:58 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

We will be on Konigsdam Feb 18th for a 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. 

I love to read and enjoy sitting on our balcony with a cocktail and munchies. I have 8 books downloaded for our 45 day sail on Saturday. 

I enjoy trivia and HAL offers several settings. I can always find something to do, and if I get bored, I walk or people watch at the Lido pool.

Don't forget your Kindle charger! Have a wonderful cruise!

I can’t believe the coincidences! We are on this same cruise and are from Georgetown, Texas too! Hopefully, we will get the chance to meet in person

You can't compare Hawaii RT to San Diego to Port Everglades.  There are a shorter number of cruising days on SD to PE vs those two long number of sea days in a row.  Saying that, this time on the SD to PE cruise in November, we missed several ports due to emergencies with some passengers.  Once we left Catagena and had to face another couple of cruise days, I wished the cruise was over.  

On this cruise, I found that I was tiring of the food choices and went to MDR way more often than in the past.  We signed up for cruise 5 days prior so most of the "good" reservations for specialty dining were gone by the time we got onboard.  So, we couldn't really experience other food choices.  

We were scheduled for KD 18 day Hawaii RT right before pandemic.  Looking back, I'm glad we didn't get to do that trip.  I guess I've realized that I'm more of a heavy port itinerary person vs sea days.  I did enjoy SOME of the sea days as I found a few books that I read up in the Crows Nest while sipping on my cold coffee drinks.  

It's really an individual thing as you have read in this thread.  Some people like the sea days and others don't.  I suggest if you do take that trip to be prepared to try and fill that time with something to do if you don't like sitting around.  

10 hours ago, Texaggie said:

No. I wish we were on it. That’s quite a lengthy trip. What region are you going to? We are bracing for super cold temps in Georgetown so you are definitely not missing anything there!

This week is Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, and the usual Half Moon Cay.

Let me know when you board and we will meet up for a visit.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:16 AM, Petronillus said:

DW and I are looking forward to escaping a long Chicago winter by taking an 18-day Hawaii cruise on the Koningsdam out of San Diego, starting on 01/31/23. It's 6 days out, 6 days around the islands, and 6 days back. At a recent holiday party a neighbor, of roughly the same age and temperament as myself, said that they had taken the same cruise on HAL a couple of years ago (pre-pandemic). All went well, he said, until the final 6 days when they were heading home. By that time they were tired of shipboard life -- same food, same atmosphere, same entertainment, same old same old. If they had had their druthers, he said, they would have disembarked at the final stop in Hawaii and flown back (obviously, not doable).

Is this a common experience? Right smack before the COVID shutdown, we did a 17-day Panama Canal transit from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego. We enjoyed it immensely, and our enjoyment never flagged. I have never welcomed the end of a cruise, including that one. Provided I have loaded up my Kindle before sail-away, I'm happy to while away my time on board. But are 5 sea days in a row before our final obligatory stop in Ensenada likely to test my endurance?

Maybe you and your DW can find some way to entertain yourselves.