Another cut being tested: Once per day cabin service

Tenderpaw

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The only commonality between an airline and cruise line is that they operate big pieces of machinery that move. The claim that what people will tolerate with one will also be accepted from the other is baseless.

I agree.  Flying on an airplane is a means to an end.  Cruising is an "end".

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed.  Flying is a fairly short experience.   Awhile back I remember reading an article about first-class vs. economy-class.  They interviewed a woman that was a CEO of a big company and was flying in the ordinary seats.   She said, "If someone offered me 10K to sit in uncomfortable chair for 5 hours, I'd do it.   This is the same thing."   

Although many people have talked about a line beyond which they'll change lines or stop cruising.  We've reached that point in flights and we don't fly cattle-air (which is all of them).    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, restasured said:

Could be but I doubt it.  The airline industry is a perfect example.  People fly Spirit airlines because it is cheap and no amenities.  Even if they could get a meal or drinks or whatever.

But people fly Spirit Air for the lower price.  If the price were the same, they'd fly a full-service airline.  

In this situation, RCCI is asking us to keep paying the same (recently increased) price, while accepting less service.  

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm under the impression they are blaming Covid. 

Misdirection has ever been the friend of advertising/marketing. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm gonna have to disagree. Johnny Rockets on Freedom was impossible to get into, even after surcharge. Didn't get empty until they dropped the BOGO

This is not what I've seen personally.  

43 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

But it ended up with disgusting hallways.   

Yes, I do mind this.  Honestly, RCCI could employ an individual to do nothing but "circle the ship" picking up dishware outside rooms.  All that walking (and the subsequent returning to clear the cart) would fill a work day.  

• Like 2

They need bigger trash cans in the rooms if they reduce service.  We find towels take too long to dry to reuse.  

We are easy really as we leave the room tidy.  It can't take long for them to do our room with clean towels, take out the trash and make the bed. I know some people are slobs and I feel bad for the stewards who clean up after them.

I guess if they reduce tips I'm okay with it.....but they won't.  Hotels have reduced service under the excuse of covid.  The truth is it saves them money but again they haven't reduced their prices either.

One of the things I like about cruising is a bit of luxury. I'm hoping this doesn't fly.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe RCI will just assign crew to passageway duty. Crew can go around picking up all the stuff people don't want in their cabins. Now used towels can be added to the dirty dished, glasses, ans half eaten food that end up out there.

I made mention to John Heald from Rustbucket Cruise Lines that all those trays filled with half eaten food, glasses, plates, silverware, empty beer bottles/cans/whatevers and so on is a safety issue and opens Rustbucket to litigation.  His answer is that they would rather that the stuff be left in the hallways.  I don't remember every word of his answer but what I got out of the conversation was those that have a trip and fall because of the stuff in the hallway can just get in line with their lawyers.  It's a part of doing business, as far as they are concerned.  

EDITED IN:  BTW, that was back in the late 20teens.  

Edited by Ret MP

We often ask our steward to just give us fresh towels on some evenings. It gives them a small break and I'm perfectly happy to do that. 

One thing that amazes me on cruises is how messy some staterooms are. That would drive me nuts!!! One near us on our last cruise looked liked they had blown up their luggage. No attendant should have to deal with that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

We often ask our steward to just give us fresh towels on some evenings. It gives them a small break and I'm perfectly happy to do that. 

One thing that amazes me on cruises is how messy some staterooms are. That would drive me nuts!!! One near us on our last cruise looked liked they had blown up their luggage. No attendant should have to deal with that.

LOL - My wife makes the bed, cleans the bathroom and puts all of our toiletries in our luggage, picks-up everything that may have fallen on the floor, stacks the dishes and neatly places them on the trays with all the other stuff.  We NEVER put things outside the door, I hate seeing that.  We do tell the Steward on day one that if there are plates, etc., in the room when he/she gets there, they aren't needed anymore, with or without food in/on them, and to please remove them.  Never had a problem with that.  

• Like 1

With all these cutbacks Royal cruisers will start to feel like French Soccer fans! 

Yikes, 45 minutes into the World Cup final game and France is down 2 goals.

And for my American cousins;

With all these cutbacks Royal cruisers will start to feel like LA Rams fans! 🏈

😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I made mention to John Heald from Rustbucket Cruise Lines that all those trays filled with half eaten food, glasses, plates, silverware, empty beer bottles/cans/whatevers and so on is a safety issue and opens Rustbucket to litigation.  His answer is that they would rather that the stuff be left in the hallways.  I don't remember every word of his answer but what I got out of the conversation was those that have a trip and fall because of the stuff in the hallway can just get in line with their lawyers.  It's a part of doing business, as far as they are concerned.  

EDITED IN:  BTW, that was back in the late 20teens.  

To follow your train of thought;  if their guests need their tetanus shots because of the rust, then what’s a few trip hazard items on the floor in the hall.🤷‍♂️

My biggest problem with cutback, especially when marketed to sound like they are only temporary and/or for your better well being is that things never return.  This recent few cutbacks and increases are being blamed, by some, on the debt, over the past two - three years, the cruise lines has (which is causal of/by COVID) amassed.  If their debt is brought back to pre-COVID levels, do you think that they will reduce some increases, bring back services lost?  My opinion - HELL NO!  Especially if we just "go with the flow" become sheeple and just keep on cruising without voicing our opinions, not here but with the industry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

To follow your train of thought;  if their guests need their tetanus shots because of the rust, then what’s a few trip hazard items on the floor in the hall.🤷‍♂️

Not sure how to take this as a LOL or are you serious.  If it is a LOL, then LOL.

If serious, my use of Rustbucket has nothing to do with actual Rust.  And I don't know what rust has to do with plates in hallways and litigation.  But, it is what it is.    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL - My wife makes the bed, cleans the bathroom and puts all of our toiletries in our luggage, picks-up everything that may have fallen on the floor, stacks the dishes and neatly places them on the trays with all the other stuff.  We NEVER put things outside the door, I hate seeing that.  We do tell the Steward on day one that if there are plates, etc., in the room when he/she gets there, they aren't needed anymore, with or without food in/on them, and to please remove them.  Never had a problem with that.  

Yep , we leave our room nice and tidy other than making the bed.

As i was walking by an open door once, i looked in and the room looked like a crime scene , only thing missing was the body.

I looked down the hall expecting the CSI folks to appear .

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

The destinations are the true end for us. Cruising has turned into another means and just a step up from flying. Hasn’t been worth the cost, or effort, for the last several years, even before the pandemic.

1 minute ago, loman said:

As i was walking by an open door once, i looked in and the room looked like a crime scene , only thing missing was the body.

And in some of them you couldn't find a body if there was one  😀

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, loman said:

CSI, EOD, HASMAT  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, loman said:

Oh, you found my teenage boys' cabin. Yep, the Steward earned a BIG tip that cruise. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, loman said:

When we travelled with 3 teenaged sons in their own inside cabin, we just apologized a lot and tipped big. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, LXA350 said:

If we compare RCL to hotel standards then they are in the 4* sector, hence there you only get once a day housekeeping service and no turndown service in addition. The Suites are more comparable to th 5* sector, so here they will not dare the cut.

Looks like going forward this is what will happen all cabins up to balcony once a day and JS and above 2x a day. This will either mean that the room attenant designated to your cabin will be assigned more cabins and will have time to complete them by let's say 4PM or that afer finishing their shift they will use them for the cleaning of public areas of the ship.

Can we complain about it, well seing RCL as a 4* hotel then not really. To be fair, service you get on RCL compared to most hotels even 5* still better even with a once a day cabin service, speaking on global level. As the US hospitality sector is not known for providing quality nor service. Best comparison a brand like Marriott. Go to a hotel of that brand in the US, it feels like a 2-3* hotel compared to stay in one of their hotels in Europe or Asia.

That's it exactly! At least one more that understands what market segmentation is about. And I'd say: Even in Europe, the 4* segment has experienced several cut-offs across the board on real service provided, and there are some randomly really bad service outfits here and there. Experiment to book a triplet to cope with a blind individual like myself and my parents and you'll see... Some 10 years ago even the 3* EU land hotel level would be attentive enough. Today it's more like a lottery game. Chances are you're on the right place at the right time; Marriott being one of the best for me to date... But once we had to live with a small single room for 3 people. No compensation, no refund, nothing, nada, on a 4* hotel in Europe; fortunately for just a single night when we really arrived very late!... So; yeah!... RCL service, while clearly at the EU land 4* service level provides a service level that in many cases would to touch the 5th star! They'd only not entirely touch that over details: Pax per square meter, pax per venue, pax per employees, and a few more others, some of them way subtle across the board.

Furthermore; ships like hotels are understaffed and will be understaffed for most of next decade to come with. Would I like things to be different? Sure! But compromises would to be needed. This is just the beginning. Automate parts of the current crew jobs will follow.

Very recently a brand new private Hospital opened their doors to replace the old one where I'm followed regularly in many ways. I was quite surprised that instead of a huge cafeteria/bar human manned like on the old one; there's now a spread of many small automated ones. You'd to be offered several machines from where you can purchase coffee drinks, snacks and in certain cases even packaged small meals. Some 2 or 4 employees would go station by station from time to time restocking them, instead of those 10-12 they had on the older building! That's the trend. Ideal? Perhaps no. Convenient? Surely! I enjoy to have a nice cappuccino out of those machines when I finish my visits later on the afternoon before returning home. An easy way to have a small relatively pleasant time while awaiting my cab/Uber to come. As simple as that. I can see both sodas, specialty coffee, beer, basic wine, mineral water, juices of some sort, ice cream, and even some sort of more sophisticated drinks and snacks to become a self-service from the machines in a not so long time from now on 4* level cruise ships like RCI, NCL, CCL or MSC. That's what the future is bringing. Sad? To an extent. Convenient? Pretty much for both parts; companies, the shortening crew talent available, and even us the cruisers to an extent!

6 minutes ago, chucknmarilyn said:

The one we saw a lot on our last TA was definitely not occupied by teenagers. Actually by a bit older couple in a JS. 

Ain't that a damn shame.  However, pigs have no age limit, or any special category/social standing.  They thrive amongst us everywhere.  

21 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

My biggest problem with cutback, especially when marketed to sound like they are only temporary and/or for your better well being is that things never return.  This recent few cutbacks and increases are being blamed, by some, on the debt, over the past two - three years, the cruise lines has (which is causal of/by COVID) amassed.  If their debt is brought back to pre-COVID levels, do you think that they will reduce some increases, bring back services lost?  My opinion - HELL NO!  Especially if we just "go with the flow" become sheeple and just keep on cruising without voicing our opinions, not here but with the industry.

Exactly. It is time for people to maybe vacation another way. Until people stop going they will continue making cuts. 

Just look at the Disney model. 12 years ago I held a season pass for over 8 consecutive years. I noticed the pricing going up every year across the board, from tickets, snacks, to accessories. I even noticed the grounds had gone from perfection everywhere you looked to far less. I had a neighbor who worked at Disney corporate in accounting. We shared frequent conversations about the price changes and the bottom line was as long as people continue paying…price increases will not stop. And that was 12 years ago and that was exactly what happened!

Now my same pass price is laughable and my family (now) and I will no longer support Disney based on the greed and insane policies they have forced upon their employees of the company. Finally, now I know they are starting to see some decline…but not enough in my opinion to start decreasing prices. 

Royal is just doing the same. Making cutbacks. Charging the same or more for less…and they will just keep on doing the same until people start to make other vacation options a priority.

The changes I have seen them make over the last year are almost enough to completely write off Royal as a Diamond member. The only change that I am semi ok with is the menu since my family and I never ordered from the staples each night anyway…

I have just one more on the books in Nov ‘23 and I have no problem canceling and going somewhere else for all future vacations if all the “tested” changes become our new cruising reality. 

Hopefully “new” cruisers start to get the message but I don’t think that will happen with all the Youtubers that are stroking the cruise companies for free vacations. 

• Like 1