Royal changing main dining room menu

nasa1974

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Not having that strip steak really sucks.  There is always one night in the MDR where I just don't care for the main entrée options.  (I don't remember which menu day it is).  I would default to the strip steak.  Maybe we can still get something by request?

Dan

I assume they will be willing to provide something at extra cost from one of the specialty restaurants.

2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I assume they will be willing to provide something at extra cost from one of the specialty restaurants.

That would be a bummer. I don't necessarily need a filet or ribeye cooked from Chops.  I think those upcharges are at least $20.   That NY Strip steak got the job done on that rare night that I couldn't find an entrée on the main menu that I liked.  I'd even settle for a decently cooked sirloin.  I just don't want to pay more for something we had complimentary.  Hopefully they will accommodate.  Heck, maybe I'll see what Asian or Indian cuisines they are secretly offering that night.

21 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We recently sailed with Carnival and found both the dining room options and in particular their buffet food far superior to Royal.

Depends on what you consider superior at the buffet. I find Carnival's lunch and dinner buffets are heavy on cheap carbs and have much less selection/variety than Royal's.  Not to mention many of Carnival's prepared salads seem to be whatever random ingredients they could scrounge up and mix together vs. what the signs on the buffet say they should be.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Agree.

We recently sailed with Carnival and found both the dining room options and in particular their buffet food far superior to Royal.

And on newer ships particularly, Carnival's free/included lunch options run circles around Royal's.  

23 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

The buffet also had longer evening opening hour’s.

More:  Unlike the Windjammer, the Lido buffet area on Carnival never closes, so if you need some ice, water, lemonade, soda (on Excel-class) or Swirls (frozen ice cream or fro-yo), you can get it at all times.  

19 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yuck!  Makes me think of a cafeteria.  Why suggest making dining in the MDR less special?

Dan

I don't understand "yuck?" Also, I do not understand how a table cloth makes a dining experience special? I guess that is just me.

I prefer the look of just a table top, sans the table cloth. Like in many of the Coastal Kitchen restaurants. (not all of them are just a table top, I think I remember Odyssey had table cloths.)

image.jpeg.da8652455b018517cf4fdb82c10be6bb.jpegimage.png.9f7cca70927321c860e809ec8a0b0094.png

On 12/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, Mikew0805 said:

I wish they would go to no table cloths, and have nice table tops.

I hope not.  Those large, crowded main dining rooms are already noisy. Aesthetics preferences aside, the table cloths dampen some of that noise.  Back to aesthetics:  the current decor of the dining rooms calls for tables cloths.  Maybe a decorator could design a dining room that large that looked good without tablecloths; that’s a project for a revamp or for a new ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yuck!  Makes me think of a cafeteria.  Why suggest making dining in the MDR less special?

Dan

We have a huge selection of high end restaurants here in Miami. I don’t recall having tablecloths at any recently. Most recently we dined at the Matador Room. It absolutely is not a cafeteria.  The only place that I recall having a table with tablecloth, was Bern’s. But then again, it’s Bern’s. 😊 We haven’t been there since last year, so perhaps they have changed as well. 

Like people’s personal attire, tablecloths does not affect (or cheapen) our dining experience. 

6 hours ago, Pellaz said:

More:  Unlike the Windjammer, the Lido buffet area on Carnival never closes, so if you need some ice, water, lemonade, soda (on Excel-class) or Swirls (frozen ice cream or fro-yo), you can get it at all times.  

One of Carnival's recent cuts is that soft serve is no longer available 24/7.

I hope they keep tablecloths in the main dining room, for my personal taste I go on a cruise for those touches. I grew up appreciating the soft feel. They absorb a lot of sound. Younger people probably don't see it that way; in recent decades fewer and fewer restaurants use tablecloths anymore, because they are a substantial expense, and the design trends are for a "cleaner" or more modern look, like Virgin has. Going without tablecloths does save a lot of money. For me, a hard tabletop feels cold and even sticky, I don't like the way things slide around, and hearing a lot more clanking of silverware. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pellaz said:

And on newer ships particularly, Carnival's free/included lunch options run circles around Royal's.  

You can get water, coffee, cakes, sandwiches, fruit at the Cafe Promenade almost 24 hours a day.

There is also Sorrento's open till 2AM at least on the Oasis classes.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:30 PM, Tatka said:

I’ll pay RCI prices not to sail with Carnival!!! Although I’ve heard that Carnival is not cheap anymore

When we started sailing with RCI in 2004 menus were much weaker than now.

Also I remember when Classic section was not a thing on RCI, but also on Celebrity or Holland.

And that was without huge inflation we are having now. Do you know how difficult is hiring abroad is now?

say what you will, but Carnival food and especially options are far better than RCI.  RCI on the Radiance class is limited to a buffet and MDR basically if you are not paying extra.  yes i know sandwiches and pizza also 😉  As inflation rises, this is what will happen.  I am thinking stop whining and start voting 🙂  haha  I am looking forward to my JOTS trip on 2-11-23, hoping for some decent food 🙂

On 12/12/2022 at 5:02 PM, nasa1974 said:

This is a quote from the article.

"The big change is not that there'd be an "Italian" or "American" night with the chef's featured choices listed at the top of the menu, but rather that the "classics" section of the menu would no longer be offered. "

Here is the link to the MSN article.

Royal Caribbean Confirms Huge Main Dining Room Menu Change (msn.com)

anyone have a copy or sampling of the new test menus?/

4 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

I don't understand "yuck?" Also, I do not understand how a table cloth makes a dining experience special? I guess that is just me.

I prefer the look of just a table top, sans the table cloth. Like in many of the Coastal Kitchen restaurants. (not all of them are just a table top, I think I remember Odyssey had table cloths.)

image.jpeg.da8652455b018517cf4fdb82c10be6bb.jpegimage.png.9f7cca70927321c860e809ec8a0b0094.png

I don't think those tables look nearly as nice as the MDR tables with the white cotton table clothes.  Maybe it's just me, but looks cold.  Dishes clanking on the table surface, surface cold to the touch...

I'm being picky but it is a significant difference to me

Dan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

You can get water, coffee, cakes, sandwiches, fruit at the Cafe Promenade almost 24 hours a day.

Not to derail the thread but I've complained about the lack of good late night food options with Royal ever since our second cruise.  (The first cruise on the Freedom in 2010 at least had really good paninis every night as well.)

Finger sandwiches and pizza are very lackluster especially by about day 3 or 4 of the same dang thing.  I love the AMPED ships with Playmakers now.  I'm willing to pay a few dollars for some good gastropub type fare.  Other lines like NCL kill it with O'Sheehans though.  Wide menu, 24 hours, full service, complimentary.  All lines have their plusses and minuses though

Dan

1 hour ago, Lissete said:

We have a huge selection of high end restaurants here in Miami. I don’t recall having tablecloths at any recently. Most recently we dined at the Matador Room. It absolutely is not a cafeteria.  The only place that I recall having a table with tablecloth, was Bern’s. But then again, it’s Bern’s. 😊 We haven’t been there since last year, so perhaps they have changed as well. 

Like people’s personal attire, tablecloths does not affect (or cheapen) our dining experience. 

Given a choice of the two, I much prefer table cloths.  I respect your opinion. Can't argue that.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 5:23 PM, nelblu said:

I don\'t know what your definition of weaker menu is, but I remember more choices and selections.  It's amazing that some poster indicated that NCL is expanding it's MDR menu.

"Weaker menu" is subjective, but I'd say a good menu should include something for everyone:  A beef entree, a seafood entree, a chicken/duck entree, and a vegetarian entree.  A good menu should include something for foodies and something for adults who still eat like children (I know quite a few young adults who still eat chicken nuggets 3-4 times/week).  A good menu should have something for the health conscious and should not be carb-heavy.  

On 12/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Nunagoras said:

... are now discovering they can have a better life at home on activities that don't require an 11 months embarkation contract doing such a "24/7" job journey! ...

Thing is, a lot of the crew can't have "a better life" at home, and they're almost all young -- some of them want the opportunity to get away from home.  

On 12/14/2022 at 11:36 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

Not having that strip steak really sucks.

I had the Steak Diane once recently.  It was just okay.  For anyone ordering it, ask for a little tub of extra sauce on the side.  

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

Yes, a 2nd lobster tail for $16.99 + 18% grats.

That price is too high for a lobster tail. 

5 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

... Also, I do not understand how a table cloth makes a dining experience special? I guess that is just me. ...

I get it.  It's a traditional, upscale look.  

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Yes, I want something available late-night.  I don't care if it's the full-scale buffet or a smaller venue.  

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I remember when, people actually complained that they DON'T change the menu on a regular basis...

Yes, when guests do back-to-backs or sail several times in a short period, they like the menu to change.  Personally, I don't care -- I can't eat everything on the menu, even if I'm sailing two weeks in a row.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

I remember when, people actually complained that they DON'T change the menu on a regular basis.....oh my, now it is changed people complain.....oh well, welcome to Cruise Critic, and let's not forget paying for water in a can, that you can get free

It's not about changing the menu, but in the reductions of selections and normal stand by options.

• Like 2

I just googled menus, as suggested.  Here's what I found: 

Symphony, Day 1 

Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad 

Spinach & Artichoke Dip 

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail 

Escargots a la Bourguinonne

Vegan Roasted Tomato Soup

Maryland Crab Cake  

Entrees 

Battered Fish & Chips 

Southern Fried Chicken 

Grilled Pork Chop 

Aromatic Chicken Saag

Spaghetti Bolognese

Vegan Herb-crusted Portabello 

Slow-roasted Prime Rib 

Maine Lobster Tail ... $16.95 + 18% tax 

Chops Grille Filet Mignon ... $19.99 + 18% tax 

Surf & Turf ... $34.99 + 18% tax 

Dessert 

No sugar added Warm Blueberry Cobbler w/ice cream 

Boston Cream Pie 

Ice Cream 

Royal Cheesecake

Vegan Peanut-Caramel Bar 

Key Lime Pie 

Symphony, Day 2 

Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad 

Classic Wedge Salad 

Crispy Buttermilk Calamari

Baked French Onion Soup 

Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup 

Entrees 

Fragrant Herb-Crusted Salmon 

Chicken Cordon Bleu 

Classic Beef Bourguignon 

Seafood Linguine 

Curried Lamb Rogan Josh

Vegan Spring Pea & Asparagus Risotto 

Roasted Beef Tenderloin 

Dessert 

No sugar added Layered Peach Trifle 

Ice Cream 

Toasted Almond Profiteroles

Apple Blossom a la Mode 

Vegan Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies 

Creme Brulee 

Symphony, Day 3

Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad 

Garden Mixed Salad

Crispy Parmesan Arancini (mushrooom)

Italian Minestrone 

Vegan Golden Polenta Fries w/ Spicy Dip 

Seared Beef Carpaccio 

Entrees 

Pan-seared Filet of Sole 

Chicken Parmesan 

NY Strip Steak 

Creamy Mushroom Risotto 

Spiced Lamb Kofta 

Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese 

Garlic Shrimp & Vegetable Linguine 

Dessert 

No sugar added Dark Chocolate Custard 

Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Cake 

Ice Cream

Lemon Curd Tartlet 

Vegan Crumbly Oat & Berry Bar 

Classic Tiramisu 

Symphony, Day 4 

Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad 

Green Lentil Soup 

Asian-style Pork Bao Tacos

Baked French Onion Soup 

Vegan Honey-soy Tofu & Avocado Salad 

Crispy Coconut Jumbo Shrimp 

Entrees 

Garlic-herbed Buttered Tiger Shrimp 

Steak Diane

Grilled Caribbean Chicken 

Pesto Tagliatelle 

Rustic Chicken Korma 

Vegan Stuffed Grilled Eggplant 

Jerk Seasoned Pork Chop 

Dessert 

No sugar added Coffee Pot de Creme 

Royal Chocolate Cake 

Ice Cream 

Carrot Cake 

Vegan Chilled Banana Cocoa Custard 

Pineapple Sunshine Cake 

Symphony, Day 5

Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad 

Fried Chicken Empanadas 

Grilled Sweet Corn Cakes

Vegan Tortilla Soup 

Roasted Poblano Pepper Soup 

Entrees 

Chipolte-lime Crusted Salmon 

Pulled Pork Enchiladas 

Carne Asade

Spaghetti All'Arrabbiata

Spicy Shrimp Jaffrezi 

Vegan Crunchy Chili-crusted Tofu Tacos

Pollo a la Mexicana 

Dessert 

No sugar added Coconut Layer Cake 

Soft-baked Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ice Cream 

Caramel Flan

Vegan Toffee Cheesecake 

Tres Leche Cake 

Symphony, Day 6 

Appetizers

Classic Caesar Salad 

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail 

Vidalia Onion Tart 

Vegan Bright Citrus Avocado & Melon Salad

Baked French Onion Soup 

Entrees 

Broiled Lobster Tail ... second entree costs $16.95 

Lemon Butter Baked Cod 

Autumn Turkey Dinner

NY Strip Steak 

Cheese Tortellini Pasta

Butter Chicken 

Vegan Stuffed Red Bell Pepper 

Dessert 

No sugar added Strawberry Shortcake 

Warm Chocolate Cake 

Ice Cream 

Red Velvet Cake 

Vegan Chocolate Creme Brulee

Baked Alaska 

Symphony, Day 6 -- yes, I know we already had a 6, but this is how it's labeled  

Appetizers

Seafood Fritters

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail 

Baked French Onion Soup 

Traditional Greek Salad 

Vegan Pan-seared Asparagus 

Mediterranian Tapas Medley 

Entrees 

Moroccan Spiced Ahi Tuna

Chicken Marsala 

Clams & Linguine 

Grilled Mediterranian Steak