RCCL and Johnny Rocket's

Ret MP

45 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

My family is from Toronto and I spent most of my childhood during the summer months visiting my Aunt, Uncle and cousin's that lived in Stouffville, still have some family in Stouffville and Uxbridge.  I just lost a cousin that lived in Newmarket.  My uncle and his son, the one that recently passed, owned Quality Utilities, a plumbing supply company, that was HQ'ed out of Richmond Hill, with branches in Oshawa (sp?), Barrie, Lindsay and a few other cities/towns in Ontario.  They have long since sold, made them millionaires the business and I don't even know if it still exists.  I used visit the area.  But, not since before the COVID debacle.  Looking forward to going back, soon.  I still have a lot of cousins that I want to reconnect with.

BTW, I was born and raised in Montreal.

Sorry for your loss. 

We love Montreal in fact we'll be there for a few days end of January for the Leaf game. 

Small world. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I also drink my coffee black and much prefer McDonalds coffee to Tim's. I'll only have a Timmy's as an absolutely last resort. Tim Horton's changed it's coffee recipe about a decade ago to it's detriment and there's an urban legend that McDonalds has successfully duplicated Tim's old recipe (bean/roast/grind) in their McCafe. 

One thing that my wife and I have always found off putting at JR's is the onion rings. They're always just way too greasy. 

I'm not sure if the deal has been completed yet, or not.  But, Tim Horton's and Burger King are co-owned now.  I think Burger King has or will be moving it's HQ to Canada, somewhere.

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I was once involved in a heated discussion (I know, hard to believe) in this forum or maybe it was one of the other cruise social media sites about Johnny Rockets.  I am/was a defender of the venue.  I, kinda still am.  But, another thread in here has several people listing Johnny's as one of the top overrated venues in RCCL.  I've only been to one Johnny Rockets since the restart and the Johnny's we've been to pre-pandemic were all on Oasis Class Ships, Oasis, Symphony, and I don't remember about the Allure. All of those were great. We really liked the Johnny Rockets that we visited, pre-pandemic.  HOWEVER, the Johnny Rocket's on the Independence this past October/November was far less than I expected.  The place looked old, worn-out, perception of unclean, and just not inviting.  The burgers were lacking something, they seemed bland, not sure what was wrong with them, maybe lack of seasoning.  I'm not ready to criticize Johnny Rocket's as a whole but it definitely needs some attention on the Independence.  Some say that they believe that Guys on Rustbucket Cruise Lines is much better.  I disagree, not because of the taste/quality of Guys.  Only because it isn't a sit-down/full service venue, the fix'ins bar is gross (not very well maintained, non-Guys people (often drunks) walking by and grabbing stuff with their hands, etc.), the lack of seating far too often, and no beverage service (you have to go to another venue (like the BlueIguana Bar) for a drink of any kind and by the time you get back, the burger is cold).  So, I'm looking forward to returning to Oasis Class ships with a Johnny Rocket's and a better experience, I HOPE!  

BTW, I totally agree 100% that Coco Cay is way overrated.  Especially if you are a 71 year old.  There is nothing I can do on Coco Cay that I can't do on the ship and I can do it without the crowds.  That's not to say that it isn't great for young families and active adults.  But, for old folks like me, it's a wasted part of the itinerary.  I'm only saying that I'll look for itineraries, in the future, that don't include Coco Cay, unless we have any/all of our grandkids with us.  I'm not suggesting that Coco Cay be removed from RCCL's options, it's just not for us.

I’m not a spring chicken either, but I love coco cay because I love to put my toes in the sand, and enjoy a different view of the ocean. That’s the ONLY reason we get off the boat there.

• Like 2

Royal should try a Whataburger, that’s a delicious burger worthy of a $11.99 price tag or even a Smashburger.

One day when all the people who were alive in the 50’s no longer cruise, it will be time to date ships back 50 years to the late 70’s and 80’s

50’s Nostalgia won’t appeal as much to Gen X or millennials 

But a burger is a burger 🍔 

19 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Why is that? It depends on preferences. Who is rating it?

We are 50+ years old and we like it.  As I said, Coco Cay is great for families and "ACTIVE ADULTS" which obviously falls into your category

We obviously do not use park, but  Options are wonderful

1. we like how now umbrellas are added to loungers.  I can get a lounger with shade on the ship easily
  2. Loungers availability.  Plenty available on the ship
  3. Several beaches to choose.  Several pools, that I don't use, and hot tubs to choose from and no sand to get in my shorts
  4. Nice pool.  Several nice pool on the ship that I don't use either.
  5. All available food if we are hungry.  Many free and not free options on the ship and no lines
  6. Nice snorkeling off the beach.  Once again, options
  7. We do not need to take a taxi to the beach as on most islands.  l haven't seen or needed a taxi on the ship to get to the pools

Is there a sightseeing? Of course not. Frankly, aside from several islands Caribbeans are not major sightseeing place (we sailed to Bahamas and Caribbeans probably 45 times or more and we've seen all islands except for St Vincent & Grenadines and Guadeloupe). We do not shop on islands, but I think Coco Cay has some shopping for fans.

Main point of Bahamas and Caribbeans (Bermudas too) is SUN and nice OCEAN (beaches, snorkeling) . If people are looking for something else there they are misinformed.  My father was a golf pro on Cape Eleuthera in the late 70's and I live with him there for a short period of time.  Without going into detail here and now, something happened there that turned me and my family against the Bahamas.  Nothing criminal or anything like that.  Government regulations and work visas.

19 minutes ago, Tatka said:

So for us Coco Cay is not overrated. It is exactly what it is. And we are glad RCI is making money on everyone who wants to pay for cabanas, club and park. We are just doing our things for cheap. 🙂

Sorry, most, of my answers above are me trying to be a wise guy.  Why?  Because I really don't feel the need to justify my opinions, especially when I don't knock others for their opinions.  I'm really only interested in responding, critically, to things that I feel are not exactly as described or are and in some cases are B.S.  But, I don't criticize other people's well intentioned and personal opinions/desires.  This is not to say that you have mischaracterized or B.S.ed anything.  If you don't think Coco Cay is overrated, that's great, for you, not for me.  In fact, I really really really dislike the Bahamas as a whole but that's a whole other story.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ret MP said:

Sorry, most, of my answers above are me trying to be a wise guy.  Why?  Because I really don't feel the need to justify my opinions, especially when I don't knock others for their opinions.  I'm really only interested in responding, critically, to things that I feel are not exactly as described or are and in some cases are B.S.  But, I don't criticize other people's well intentioned and personal opinions/desires.  This is not to say that you have mischaracterized or B.S.ed anything.  If you don't think Coco Cay is overrated, that's great, for you, not for me.  In fact, I really really really dislike the Bahamas as a whole but that's a whole other story.  

I don't know why but my post/response got chopped up and much missing.  But, I'll leave it at that.  

19 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m not a spring chicken either, but I love coco cay because I love to put my toes in the sand, and enjoy a different view of the ocean. That’s the ONLY reason we get off the boat there.

And that's fine for you!  Happy for you!

It seems to me JRs used to be free when it first started. Subsequently changed and started charging at some point.

Was recently on the Explorer. JRs was pretty much empty every time we walked by. 

The burgers, fries and onion rings in WJ were very good. Don't see the point of paying for something that is included elsewhere.

I'm not suggesting that Coco Cay be removed from RCCL's options, it's just not for us.

I'm wondering if some folks are reading this?  This is from post #1 and is the last sentence.  I don't understand the pushback. 

• Haha 1

BTW, I totally agree 100% that Coco Cay is way overrated.  Especially if you are a 71 year old.  There is nothing I can do on Coco Cay that I can't do on the ship and I can do it without the crowds.  That's not to say that it isn't great for young families and active adults.  But, for old folks like me, it's a wasted part of the itinerary.  I'm only saying that I'll look for itineraries, in the future, that don't include Coco Cay, unless we have any/all of our grandkids with us.  I'm not suggesting that Coco Cay be removed from RCCL's options, it's just not for us.

I was at CoCoCay for the first time in November.  I enjoyed it much more than I anticipated. But then I'm only 70.  😀  We were able to lounge around and go swimming in one of the lagoons.  We also had some good food at an open air buffet.     

• Like 1

I am not criticizing opinions. I voice mine. Maybe it will help others to make a choice. Some people think that you must book park or cabana, or anything else to enjoy CC. (Based on my opinion they may change their plans. We are there 2-3 times per year lately as we sail from Northeast and 7 days Bahamas/Florida is often the only choice for 7 days. Not my favorite destination as I like Southern Caribbeans more, but we are limited to 2 Southern cruises per year due to their length).

My husband is not snorkeling. He is really lazy on vacations.

He just swims in pool or ocean, lays on his lounger and drinks.

I think CC is a perfect place for lazy people. 🤣

CC is not a place for sightseeing or shopping. Everything else can be easily done there. Including being lazy. 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mac66 said:

It seems to me JRs used to be free when it first started. Subsequently changed and started charging at some point.

Was recently on the Explorer. JRs was pretty much empty every time we walked by. 

The burgers, fries and onion rings in WJ were very good. Don't see the point of paying for something that is included elsewhere.

We noted that JR's was mostly empty when we were there too on the Independence.  I attributed that to the physical appearance of the place.  Like I said, it presents the perception of unclean, worn-out and just uninviting.  We usually just went in for a Milkshake but did eat there once and, again like I said, the burger was bland, missing something.  Not what I expected.

Maybe on the older ships, they just aren't being kept up as nicely as they are on the Oasis ships. However, I don't know that for a fact.  All I can say for sure, JR's was a bit of a disappointment for us on the Ovation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I am not criticizing opinions.

Just to be clear, I didn't say you were.  I only said that I didn't feel the need to justify my opinion. And that is what it seemed you were doing. 

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I'm happy for you.  

BTW, when I say that, I'm not being a wise guy.  I'm really happy people find things they really like to do.

• Like 1

HOWEVER, the Johnny Rocket's on the Independence this past October/November was far less than I expected.  The place looked old, worn-out, perception of unclean, and just not inviting.  The burgers were lacking something, they seemed bland, not sure what was wrong with them, maybe lack of seasoning.

I was on the Independence in Oct. 2021 and visited Johnny Rockets for the first time in years. We sat outside when we went and it was actually pretty good. I'm afraid that if too many people complain about Johnny Rockets, that RCCL will change it over to a Hardees or even a Carl's Jr. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm wondering if some folks are reading this?  This is from post #1 and is the last sentence.  I don't understand the pushback. 

Giving an opposing opinion or experience could seem like pushback I guess.  I'm the same age group as you and had an entirely different experience.  Not everyone is going to share your opinion.  Just a friendly discussion I hope.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, footzz said:

I was on the Independence in Oct. 2021 and visited Johnny Rockets for the first time in years. We sat outside when we went and it was actually pretty good. I'm afraid that if too many people complain about Johnny Rockets, that RCCL will change it over to a Hardees or even a Carl's Jr. 

Totally agree.  I'd hate to see it go.  But, having said that, maybe it is time for a change.  Maybe old farts like me (for those finding fault in every word typed, I said, "like me") need to let go of the past, the 50s.  The decade Rock & Roll was discovered.  

3 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

My point was not say I prefer either. But $12.99 per person is more than what a free standing Johnny rockets would cost. They need to be better. Regardless of wait, service, etc with Guys, it is tasty and its included

Wow are you out of touch.  This is what I get at JR on the ship and free standing JR prices from the local mall.

Rocket dog double= 10.99

onion rings =  6.99

bowl of chili 6.99

ice tea = 3.29

ice cream Sunday = 3.29

A whopping $31.55 before taxes 

And as a bonus the JR on the ship is unlimited food.  That being said we now choose Play Makers when available. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Giving an opposing opinion or experience could seem like pushback I guess.  I'm the same age group as you and had an entirely different experience.  Not everyone is going to share your opinion.  Just a friendly discussion I hope.   

Of course, I do feel that much in here is a friendly discussion, including you post.  But, not all are.

Edited In:  Also, at least one, probably others are just spouting misinformation or misconceptions.  But, I'll not rehash them.  I've had my say.

Edited by Ret MP

3 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

I agree... Guy's burger are better but its a grab and go where as you get a nicer experience in JR's . Bonus is the plate with the ketchup smiley face 😉 

Not to mention their onion rings.  We always get ‘half and half’ to go with our burgers at Johnny Rocket’s.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Of course, I do feel that much in here is a friendly discussion, including you post.  But, not all are.

Edited In:  Also, at least one, probably others are just spouting misinformation or misconceptions.  But, I'll not rehash them.  I've had my say.

Oops - deleted.  I misread the comment.  Sorry about that.   

Edited by ldubs
Sometimes I need autocorrect for my eyes.
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Sorry you took offense.  None was intended.   

That was not intended toward you or your comment.

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

... I am/was a defender of the venue.  I, kinda still am.  But, another thread in here has several people listing Johnny's as one of the top overrated venues in RCCL ...

What I don't "get" is that hamburgers are included /served at every lunch and dinner in the Windjammer; in fact, they seem to fly off the serving counter -- hamburgers are definitely one of the  most popular items on the menu.  But why would people pay (and we're talking about $30 by the time you and your sweetie have lunch) to get the same thing only steps away?  

I also don't understand how they decide what's "for cost" vs. what's free.  The Dog House, the Mexican food place, Sorrento's pizza and Promenade Cafe sammies are no-cost, whereas Fish & Ships and Johnny Rockets cost money.  I don't understand the thought process.  

4 hours ago, BobNoxious said:

My wife had the most explosive diarrhea after a Johnny Rockets breakfast on Harmony.   Never again!

Um, Dude, if you want to stay married, don't admit things like that about your wife.  My Mamaw told me, "You don't have to say everything you know."  

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

1. we like how now umbrellas are added to loungers.
  2. Loungers availability.
  3. Several beaches to choose.
  4. Nice pool.
  5. All available food if we are hungry.
  6. Nice snorkeling off the beach.
  7. We do not need to take a taxi to the beach as on most islands.

We don't care about the pool (too loud), but these are the reasons we enjoy Cocoa Cay!  It's a beach day that doesn't require transportation from the ship ... with lunch included. 

I'll add the hammocks ... my husband LOVES a good, long nap in a hammock.  

22 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That being said we now choose Play Makers when available. 

Yes, my sports-loving husband LOVES Playmakers.  He doesn't really buy food, but they get their share of his beer purchases.  

• Like 2