Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

It is definitely the princess website and I only selected and pasted the verbage.  Not all the pictures.

It’s very strange that some can see:

Fully refundable deposit and others

see non refundable deposit.

I was just trying to help a CC member and got caught up in it.  😳

Sounds like a cache issue.

I don't think this non-refundable/refundable deposit thing is going to yield too many clear answers. I checked across various ships in various months in various destinations and they're all giving me a smorgasbord of combinations between refundable and non-refundable. What we know right now is that Princess has just placed a restriction on certain hyped/high-demand itineraries on certain ships (e.g. Sun Princess in the Med), most likely to prevent the aforementioned 'abuse of the "deposit holding"' (for a lack of a better turn of phrase). It may become a more wide-scale policy, or it might not, but one thing's for sure -- if they've learned from Celebrity, it's a move that's likely to yield them more guaranteed money more quickly (which is what they're clamoring for).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

Are cruise bookungs usually refundable in the US? I mean you will get your full deposit back if you cancel? Wow, we don´t get that here in Germany.

We don't get refundable deposits in the UK either.

It seems this could be a fleet-wide change for US customers and deserves its own thread rather than using the Sun Princess thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dides said:

We don't get refundable deposits in the UK either.

It seems this could be a fleet-wide change for US customers and deserves its own thread rather than using the Sun Princess thread?

Yes, it probably should be a separate thread, however, the change “non refundable deposits” seems to be on the Sun for the high demand cruises in Europe. This doesn’t seem to be the case for the TA or the Caribbean sailings on the Sun, so far anyway.

• Like 3

I asked this same question a couple of months ago, I was looking to book a British Isles cruise in 2024.  All dates and categories were non-refundable.  My non-Princess TA got on the phone with Princess rep and even the rep was surprised about this in addition to many changes being made that even they don’t know about yet.  In the end, my TA was able to book us into a group that her agency had set up with a refundable deposit of $100.  My Feb 24 Caribbean cruise deposit was refundable, whether in a group or not.

pacnGoNOW, I may have been the one you were referring to.  At least I now know I’m not imagining things!

Edited by trekkerlady
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, trekkerlady said:

I asked this same question a couple of months ago, I was looking to book a British Isles cruise in 2024.  All dates and categories were non-refundable.  My non-Princess TA got on the phone with Princess rep and even the rep was surprised about this in addition to many changes being made that even they don’t know about yet.  In the end, my TA was able to book us into a group that her agency had set up with a refundable deposit of $100.  My Feb 24 Caribbean cruise deposit was refundable, whether in a group or not.

pacnGoNOW, I may have been the one you were referring to.  At least I now know I’m not imagining things!

Maybe, also recently it was brought up by another @rocklinmom I believe.  

So, no you’re not going crazy.  I’m glad you contacted your TA.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I would like to get back to the topic of the Sun Princess, deckplans, etc..

It seems that the only 'adult only' pool is at the Sanctuary.

Has anybody seen any information that shows that it is for both the regular Sanctuary AND the reserve wake-view reserved area as well?

The wake view infinity pool is open to all but the Sanctuary and new suite-only pool areas are different areas per se but adjoining from what I have learned this far and observed on the deck plans. This new app each to sailing classes will offer some crowd dispersion for pools and restaurants but we can only hope they have a plan for the public spaces available to all.

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

seems that the only 'adult only' pool is at the Sanctuary.

Has anybody seen any information that shows that it is for both the regular Sanctuary AND the reserve wake-view reserved area as well?

For the sake of being pedantic, the "reserve wake-view reserved area" you're referring to seems to be the "Signature Sun Deck" (just so that it's not confused with the public Wake View Terrace on deck 8).

The Sanctuary pool and the Signature Sun Deck pool will be shared. Not sure if they're going to make it explicitly adults-only (perhaps I'm not remembering) because children living in Signature suites theoretically fit the criteria for entry to the "Sun Deck".

There is no other strictly adults-only pool though, according to the head designer. My inkling is that this may eventually change, whether it's with Sun a few months after she debuts or for Star from the get-go (like how some of the largest criticisms for Royal were quickly addressed with edits on the Regal)

I don't want to be repetitive but is it possible that deck plans aren't complete concerning rear elevator not going to deck 5?  There are plenty of cabins back there and just to have stairs unless you walk to the middle of the ship sounds uncomfortable.  Why would the elevator only go to deck 6 and stop?  Talk about feeling like you are in steerage.  lol

1 hour ago, Jemnibabe02 said:

I don't want to be repetitive but is it possible that deck plans aren't complete concerning rear elevator not going to deck 5?  There are plenty of cabins back there and just to have stairs unless you walk to the middle of the ship sounds uncomfortable.  Why would the elevator only go to deck 6 and stop?  Talk about feeling like you are in steerage.  lol

It seems to be pretty common on ships on the XL platform - Carnival Mardi Gras & Celebration, P&O Iona and Arvia all have their lowest deck with cabins as deck 4 and none have aft elevators (or even stairs!).  Princess share a lot of features with this platform but have thought to include a staircase.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Snooz...   Yes, it is that area, that is AFT facing (wake view) area where the Sanctuary is that I was referring to.

Yes, it is interesting to note that, yes, kids could be welcomed into that pool area, as they could be booked with adults.

Something is telling me that, with Princess all-out focus on becoming 'family friendly', they are making a HUGE mistake here, and not having one real area that is adults only.

I hope that they are re-thinking this, if that is the current plan.

Of course, I would not expect to see tons of kids in that area.   But, I can tell  you from personal experience on our last cruise,  that it took only two families with young children and entitled parents who let them 'literally' run amok, to be a problem.

Princess should know that I, along with many others, (who are not quite 'geriatric') do not choose other lines, and choose Princess, because there is a smaller chance of kids running amok really affecting your experience.

Even Carnival ships have an adult-only area.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 4

Very well said! You are right, it only takes a couple families who feel entitled that their children should be welcomed everywhere included in bars, etc. I too have experienced that kind of obnoxious behavior and left RCI for Celebrity and princess because it’s less likely to have a lot of kids because there’s not much to attract them. It’s so annoys me when anyone of us who are feeling this way makes our feelings no and are pounced upon by probably the very same people who let their kids run amok are. I think we all agree that if this is going to be the way of the future for princess,  we just want parents bringing their children, to be responsible and respectful to the rest of us. I don’t think that’s too much to ask and we have as much weight as they do. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

Very well said! You are right, it only takes a couple families who feel entitled that their children should be welcomed everywhere included in bars, etc. I too have experienced that kind of obnoxious behavior and left RCI for Celebrity and princess because it’s less likely to have a lot of kids because there’s not much to attract them. It’s so annoys me when anyone of us who are feeling this way makes our feelings no and are pounced upon by probably the very same people who let their kids run amok are. I think we all agree that if this is going to be the way of the future for princess,  we just want parents bringing their children, to be responsible and respectful to the rest of us. I don’t think that’s too much to ask and we have as much weight as they do. 

I’ve always found that the kids on Princess cruises are very well behaved.

But…we do go on longer cruises and there’s not as many kids on those.  

• Like 1

We have only been on regal right after Covid and sky. There were literally no kids on either ships except for toddlers in strollers. We also do not travel during school vacations and the summer which helps. However, when we used to sale on RCI and they started adding all, the amusement park things, there were hundreds of kids and a lot of them were poorly behaved. That’s why we moved to Celebrity and now princess. All I think any of us are asking is that parents keep an eye on their children, especially young teens, and don’t allow them to run around and be disrespectful.  Doing a cannonball into the pool is dangerous, and rude. However, that was an incident we saw where the father just sat on the side of the pool and cheered them on. 

Average earners getting pushed by cruise lines to choose either WhamBamBoogie-KidsIncluded cruises or spend a half year salary to go on ultra luxury ships and have a real cruise.

Future is interesting.

Edited by Nemanoxer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

Average earners getting pushed by cruise lines to choose either WhamBamBoogie-KidsIncluded cruises or spend a half year salary to go on ultra luxury ships and have a real cruise.

Future is interesting.

You can always go on Virgin Cruises.  That adult only.  

Edited by ldtr