Celebrity Excursions experience, help needed!

Michele035

Hi, we just booked our very first Celebrity cruise on the Beyond in March.  I have been an avid cruiser on RCCL and NCL for years.  I haven't done an excursion for many years, done most on my own.  We are getting a very good onboard credit so was thinking it might be worth it to do a few "beach" excursions to save time, hassel, etc of the taxi, etc.  Given what I am hearing about the $ for taxis it wouldn't be much more to take an excursion. Question for anyone that has been on a Celebrity excursion vs other cruise lines  Have you found that the "area" you are taken to on these beaches better or the same as other cruise lines?  for example in Magen's bay, are you in a nicer area of the beach to get dropped off and buy chairs, etc?  Have you seen any difference in these excursions?  thanks in advance they are having cyber excursion sales so wanted to look into this.

Recent past the beach bars in quite a few Eastern Caribbean ports have been only open to ship tours.  Assume that is changing slowly.  Magen's Bay they have a parking space for your bus but the beach is open to all and you have to go to the store to get things like floats.  Don't remember ever paying for chairs.  Places like Playa Mia may put you all in the same area for their convenience but it varies all over the place.

With ship excursions you get to wait for all the people to show up, load the bus and unload.  Then you get to wait when they don't show up at the assigned time at the far end.  You really don't save any time with these - people going direct beat you to the beach.  Some tours include chairs, umbrellas or drinks.  Some do not.  Also note that boat excursions tend to pack in like sardines on ship excursions - much better to book these independently.

Now if you have the OBC, it doesn't hurt to book excursions.  But a straight beach trip may not be worth it - look for extra features.  Or pick excursions that can only be booked through the cruise lines when ships are in port.  Some places like Cozumel have cabs that charge by the cab - 4 people to Playa Mia is the same as 2.  Take that into account if you are picking cab trips.  Or book through the consolidators like shoreexcursioneer and shoreexcursionsgroup.

• Thanks 1

I would honestly never ever book a ship tour for a beach excursion. In a place like Maegan's Bay (and nearly everywhere else) unless a chair and umbrella are included in the excursion or it's a resort type place that has them provided, you can go where ever you want.

• Like 1

Thank you both.  This is very helpful.  I was actually looking at taxi fares and the excursion fares and the difference is minor so that was the only reason I was consdiering it (also the OBC).  Also, my last memories of walking to the taxi stands were of being horribly harrassed to have my hair braided, etc. and over time, that got tiresome.  So the thought of going with the ship was it may be easier.  I agree about the chair and umbrella.  That adds up to 30 bucks for the day.  thank you both!

Depends on which beach and which island. I would never take ship tour to a beach in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Barbados, St. Thomas. St. Martin, Aruba or Grand Cayman, all so easy to get a taxi. I would consider it on St. Kitts, Dominica, Tortola. Curacao or St. Croix.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michele035 said:

Thank you both.  This is very helpful.  I was actually looking at taxi fares and the excursion fares and the difference is minor so that was the only reason I was consdiering it (also the OBC).  Also, my last memories of walking to the taxi stands were of being horribly harrassed to have my hair braided, etc. and over time, that got tiresome.  So the thought of going with the ship was it may be easier.  I agree about the chair and umbrella.  That adds up to 30 bucks for the day.  thank you both!

I wouild not usually take a ship excursion to the beach because often I feel like leaving earlier or later than the excursion times. If  a rain storm comes in I might not want to stay. Or I might get bored. If it is really nice I may not want to leave. Maegans Bay been a few times and I would never do as a ship excursion. There was another beach there though where the beach was not crowded, the excursion operator provided chairs and beverages because no beach bar. I would do that agian as a ship excursion.

• Like 1

Use the ship excursion for an activity that will be small, no beach time, or maybe going somewhere that would be difficult to diy.  Eq:  Anywhere on the mainland from Cozumel, Bequia from St. Vincent, St Bart or Anguilla from St Martin.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I wouild not usually take a ship excursion to the beach because often I feel like leaving earlier or later than the excursion times. If  a rain storm comes in I might not want to stay. Or I might get bored. If it is really nice I may not want to leave. Maegans Bay been a few times and I would never do as a ship excursion. There was another beach there though where the beach was not crowded, the excursion operator provided chairs and beverages because no beach bar. I would do that agian as a ship excursion.

Hi, question, for St Thomas what other beach would you go to? I have been to Sapphire and St John.  I honestly feel like I am missing a beach somewhere.  LOL.  thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, Michele035 said:

Hi, question, for St Thomas what other beach would you go to? I have been to Sapphire and St John.  I honestly feel like I am missing a beach somewhere.  LOL.  thanks for the help!

Lindquist Beach is the one I would do as a ship excursion if Celebrity still offers it. They did not name the beach, it was some generic description. It included chairs. It is near Sapphire. There is Coki Beach which has very good snorkeling but I advise skipping unless you want to snorkel or scuba. The vendors there are obnoxious and it was not all that clean. St. John has several great beaches. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michele035 said:

I'm on Beyond in January going to St. Thomas. We are there from 7:00 am and have to be back onboard by 3:00 pm. Given the short time window I'm going to John Brewers Bay beach, only 2 miles from the Crown Bay dock. The only downside is there are no chair or umbrella rentals and no cocktail service. It's supposedly has a much more undeveloped, local feel to it. That's exactly what I'm looking for. It should be much less crowded than any of the beaches named because the ships don't run shore excursions to it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

I'm on Beyond in January going to St. Thomas. We are there from 7:00 am and have to be back onboard by 3:00 pm. Given the short time window I'm going to John Brewers Bay beach, only 2 miles from the Crown Bay dock. The only downside is there are no chair or

Eight hours is not a short time window. You have plenty of time. From Crown Bay Meagan’s would work fine and there are chair rentals there. 

If you don’t mind a beach with no chairs Brewers will work for you. That’s what local feel means. The locals have their own chairs and coolers to bring to the beach. Make sure you arrange for a return taxi!

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were just at Brewers the other day but we stayed on St. Thomas.  Lot's of turtles!!  If I do it again, I would rent a car and go there.  There are spots for shade.  I would also bring Deet if you are attractive to no see ums or mosquitoes.  Get a small collapsible cooler, stop for some drinks, ice and snacks and have a great day.  We were there for about 4-5 hours on Christmas.  There is a food truck there plus picnic tables.  

Snorkeling wise best spot we found was secret harbor.  Coki is terrible.  Sapphire is not that great for snorkeling but beach is beautiful.  Lindquist is really good for snorkeling.  

we Only take ship excursions unless we can walk back to the pier.( have done that when no taxis available for return ( St Kitts,,)

We have had many nice beach plus lunch trips or visits to beach clubs etc ..etc    Nice clean places.. good food...usually considerate  trip mates

ship will wait if u are delayed  ( various ports,)or  will send a new van if yours breaks down..(Costa Rica,) or fails to come pick u up ( st Maarten,)

not worth the stress over possiibly  missing the  sailawy!