How far in advance to book hotel room and flight?

Z'Loth

I know, I suffer from advanced planner syndrome. I've booked an early January 2024 partially to make up for a cancelled cruise from last September. The plan is to fly in on either Friday, January 5th or Saturday, January 6th, board the ship on Monday, January 8th, then fly home on the afternoon of the ship's return. My passport was just renewed, my Global Entry card is good, just that I can't book a flight or hotel room at the moment. When can I do that? 

I book my hotel (refundable) when the booking opens and have found the best rates then. But keep checking for a lower rate after booked.

My air I do a lot of watching and usually a couple of months after the schedule has opened. Some of my best deals on business/first have been booked late at night here on the west coast. Price your days of week travel that can also make a difference.

• Like 2

You do not tell us the cruise or even the embarkation port.  But since you are talking about a January cruise we assume it is a Florida embarkation to the Caribbean.  If so, I would not get too excited about booking air from Dallas to Florida.   And keep in mind that while you can book 330 days in advance for most airlines, Southwest has it's own booking rules.  On a relatively short flight we simply book the best deals.

During the busy winter cruise season there is good reason to book hotels far in advance and we still like to book refundable deals and watch for price drops.  Popular pre cruise hotels in Florida tend to book-up very early for Friday and Saturday nights.

Hank

I usually book a refundable hotel one year out.  Being in Dallas I prefer to fly from Love Field - first Southwest does not charge a luggage fee, from Richardson an Uber is only $25 with the tip, and it is a lot closer than messing with DFW.  My last Uber to DFW was $75 plus tip.  I usually book, with points, a SWA FLIGHT when the booking opens - about 6-9 months out.  If you want to do something now, apply for a SWA credit card to get the bonus points which will cover your fares to FLL

• Like 1

Like Ashland, I start looking at air as soon as the airline posts the flights, generally around 11 months out.  I just check my preferred flights every few days  (thank you Ashland for the intel that you have good luck booking at night) until I think the fare is OK.   Hotels are done right away, and I follow rates every few months to rebook if necessary.  But generally a year out, the rate's the best you'll get.  I do remember the Brighton (England) Hilton where I really wanted to stay ... I booked at $395/night, and followed that rate down over the months to $104.  Rates depend on what sales & catering is doing I guess.  

• Like 2

You can research now but flights are usually released 330 days in advance and in the case of round trip tickets that is 330 days in advance of the return flight.  Hotels usually open bookings about 11 months in advance.  It is much harder for me to decide when to buy plane tickets since you are making such a monetary commitment by paying in full at that point.  We usually book hotel rooms as soon as they open and always chose a free cancellation price and then watch the price and make any change as applicable.

14 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

I know, I suffer from advanced planner syndrome. I've booked an early January 2024 partially to make up for a cancelled cruise from last September. The plan is to fly in on either Friday, January 5th or Saturday, January 6th, board the ship on Monday, January 8th, then fly home on the afternoon of the ship's return. My passport was just renewed, my Global Entry card is good, just that I can't book a flight or hotel room at the moment. When can I do that? 

I support you in your efforts to overplan.  

To answer your last question first, most airlines can be booked about 330 days in advance, so you 've got a few weeks to go before you'll be able to book any of those.  Southwest opens roughly 5-8 months in advance.  Spirit's schedule releases are unpredictable; it'll be available when it's available.  I haven't worried about hotels enough to guess when they release their schedules.

As for when I book flights, I first decide when I'm going to fly.  Then I look at prices.  These days most flights I need are expensive, so I usually wait for Southwest to open things up because I have a bunch of points with them.  I keep looking until I decide prices aren't going to improve by enough to matter - usually a few months before the cruise.  

As for when I book the hotel room connected to cruises, I first decide whether I need a hotel at all.  If I do, I then look at the payment policies.  There are basically three - book now pay later, refundable, and nonrefundable.  I much prefer not to commit $$$ to hotels now if I don't have to, so that affects my choice of hotels.  If I can get a decent rate on a hotel I need and it doesn't cost anything to book right away, I'll book as soon as I can.  Otherwise, I'll wait a long time - maybe a month to a week before the cruise.  

Booking domestic flights in advance is a terrible idea for multiple reasons. People often do this because 1.) They are scared it will sell out or 2.) There's a misconception that buying anything in advance is cheaper. Airfare is statistically cheapest 60 days out (give or take 30). About 2 months out, it is extremely rare for them to be sold out. Not only price, but life happens. Plans change. Itineraries change. A good number of people you see complaining about being "stuck" with airfare after their cruise got cancelled, they can't go, etc. booked it too far in advance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Booking domestic flights in advance is a terrible idea for multiple reasons. People often do this because 1.) They are scared it will sell out or 2.) There's a misconception that buying anything in advance is cheaper. Airfare is statistically cheapest 60 days out (give or take 30). About 2 months out, it is extremely rare for them to be sold out. Not only price, but life happens. Plans change. Itineraries change. A good number of people you see complaining about being "stuck" with airfare after their cruise got cancelled, they can't go, etc. booked it too far in advance.

Though I realize that is the advice, I am in the same town as the OP and have flown to FLL numerous times in recent years.   As stated above it is quite a bit cheaper to use one airport over the other and to use Southwest from that airport.  Those flights fill very quickly.  If I am going to FLL I mark my calendar for opening day and book asap.  It is just a fluke of the market.  

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I avoid the above by booking with an airline that doesn't have change/cancel fees.  I'd love to see the statistics about 'cheapest 60 days out' for booking flights.  I often book two one-ways to use points/miles for a better deal.  I've had very good luck finding upgrades on United international flights as soon as the schedules publish.

Edited by jsn55
typo
  • Like 1

We book the hotel far out because we know we can cancel or change it if needed.   We book airfare when we are sure the trip is going to happen.  That might happen pretty far out, exception being perhaps regional flights. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I avoid the above by booking with an airline that doesn't have change/cancel fees.  I'd love to see the statistics about 'cheapest 60 days out' for booking flights.  I often book two one-ways to use points/miles for a better deal.  I've had very good luck finding upgrades on United international flights as soon as the schedules publish.

I can nearly guarantee you are still overpaying by actively searching for a line with "free cancel/change fees". Customers love the marketing lines of "free" and will actively pay more to get it. There is much less of a need to have to cancel a flight if you book it closer to the cruise. That opens you up to more lines, prices, and routes.

Anyways, here's a few sites that tell you when it's generally best to book a flight. None of them say asap. 

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/113015/do-plane-tickets-get-cheaper-closer-date-departure.asp#:~:text=Flights are generally the most,does not affect the price.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/when-to-book-flights-for-cheapest-airfare

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-time-to-book-a-flight/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2022/08/31/best-time-to-book-a-cheap-flight/?sh=5f1d21952ebc

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I can nearly guarantee you are still overpaying by actively searching for a line with "free cancel/change fees". Customers love the marketing lines of "free" and will actively pay more to get it. There is much less of a need to have to cancel a flight if you book it closer to the cruise. That opens you up to more lines, prices, and routes.

Anyways, here's a few sites that tell you when it's generally best to book a flight. None of them say asap. 

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/113015/do-plane-tickets-get-cheaper-closer-date-departure.asp#:~:text=Flights are generally the most,does not affect the price.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/when-to-book-flights-for-cheapest-airfare

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-time-to-book-a-flight/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2022/08/31/best-time-to-book-a-cheap-flight/?sh=5f1d21952ebc

Thanks for this info.  While I love getting a 'deal' on air, cheap is not my major criteria.  Flight duration, lie-flat seat availability , departure and arrival times are far more important to us.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, Hlitner said:

You do not tell us the cruise or even the embarkation port.  But since you are talking about a January cruise, we assume it is a Florida embarkation to the Caribbean.

Fair enough since not all people have signatures enabled. It's a 10 day "Ultimate Southern Caribbean" cruise that will be departing from Fort Lauderdale. My preference is for a non-top flight, and that makes my options limited. Thank goodness DFW/Love Field is a hub for both American Airlines and Southwest. Hopefully, 2023 will be a better airline travel year than 2022. 

Edited by Z'Loth
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

Fair enough since not all people have signatures enabled. It's a 10 day "Ultimate Southern Caribbean" cruise that will be departing from Fort Lauderdale. My preference is for a non-top flight, and that makes my options limited. Thank goodness DFW/Love Field is a hub for both American Airlines and Southwest. Hopefully, 2023 will be a better airline travel year than 2022. 

Things seem to have improved for the airlines.  Just read some good news about Southwest, that they have settled some labor contracts and finally have added enough pilots.  Always preferred Love Field to DFW :).  I always suggest that lobster lovers fly-in to Ft Lauderdale a day early, stay out around 17th Street, and go over to Kelly's Landing for dinner where you can get a real Maine lobster.  It will be the best seafood you will get on your trip :).

Hank