RCCL and their Insurance

Goofyisme

I strongly recommend that everyone avoid using AON which is the company RCCL uses.  I have been trying for several months to get my deposit back.  I had cancel for any reason insurance and I think surgery which kept me in ICU for 10 days and has a 6 month to 1 year recovery period would be sufficient but after several months still nothing from AON plus they are extremely difficult to get in touch with by me or my agent.

Avoid this company at all costs they are a ripoff.

• Like 4

We used them in late summer 2019.  I had an accident and dislocated my kneecap and ankle and fractured my fibula.  My Orthopedic surgeon did his part and filled out what he needed to. DH did the rest and we had a full refund within a few weeks.  We had already paid in full as it was past the final payment date and got it all, in increments.  Port taxes, fees and prepaid things directly from RCI, the rest came from AON in full.   We were pleased with how it worked out.

This next calendar year, we have purchased Allianz but that's because we have two b2b's so 4 cruises and it's cheaper with more coverage through them.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, BND said:

We used them in late summer 2019.  I had an accident and dislocated my kneecap and ankle and fractured my fibula.  My Orthopedic surgeon did his part and filled out what he needed to. DH did the rest and we had a full refund within a few weeks.  We had already paid in full as it was past the final payment date and got it all, in increments.  Port taxes, fees and prepaid things directly from RCI, the rest came from AON in full.   We were pleased with how it worked out.

This next calendar year, we have purchased Allianz but that's because we have two b2b's so 4 cruises and it's cheaper with more coverage through them.  

I have used Allianze and been very pleased with them just no luck with AON.

3 minutes ago, Goofyisme said:

I have used Allianze and been very pleased with them just no luck with AON.

We've only made the one claim in 35 cruises.  AON was very easy to work with for us.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Goofyisme said:

I had cancel for any reason insurance and

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but if you exercise the "Cancel For Any Reason" provision of the policy, you don't get any money back. You are supposed to receive an FCC type credit of up to 75% of your cruise fare. You have up to time of sailing to officially cancel.

Whatever else you're supposed to do, I don't know.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but if you exercise the "Cancel For Any Reason" provision of the policy, you don't get any money back. You are supposed to receive an FCC type credit of up to 75% of your cruise fare. You have up to time of sailing to officially cancel.

Whatever else you're supposed to do, I don't know.

CFAR is now 90%  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

We used them in late summer 2019.  I had an accident and dislocated my kneecap and ankle and fractured my fibula.  My Orthopedic surgeon did his part and filled out what he needed to. DH did the rest and we had a full refund within a few weeks.  We had already paid in full as it was past the final payment date and got it all, in increments.  Port taxes, fees and prepaid things directly from RCI, the rest came from AON in full.   We were pleased with how it worked out ... 

We had a similar experience.  No complaints. 

• Like 3

Just for arguments sake let's say I was not supposed to get my money back, although RCCL folks say that I am and I did the only other time I utilized insurance and it was also cancel for any reason.

Wouldn't it be nice if AON notified me of such.  After all these weeks I have heard nothing from them and just try to get in touch with them.  Mission impossible these days. 

55 minutes ago, Goofyisme said:

Just for arguments sake let's say I was not supposed to get my money back, although RCCL folks say that I am and I did the only other time I utilized insurance and it was also cancel for any reason.

Wouldn't it be nice if AON notified me of such.  After all these weeks I have heard nothing from them and just try to get in touch with them.  Mission impossible these days. 

I can't address the company's lack of communication, but you are either cancelling for a covered (medical) reason and your doctor fills out the required paperwork. And you receive a cash refund. 

Or you cancel for any reason you want and receive a future cruise credit for a % of the cost. It is not clear whether you are filing a claim under which benefit. Presumably the insurance company is aware of the reason. 

The one time we had cruise line insurance, my mom wanted to cancel because her cat was sick. I was so mad at her, that I was going to wait until the next day. She would have received a probably unusable % FCC, for a frivolous reason. That afternoon a giant tree fell on her house rendering it unhabitable. So, I was able to file a claim for a covered reason, and she received a full refund. Of course, I had to do all of the filing and submit the photos and insurance reports. ☺️

In CA, we have a State Insurance Commissioner, and you can file a complaint with that office, they will assist if you are having problems with a company. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

And BTW. The cat was fine, and Samson lived 3 more years after the cancelled cruise. It took a year for mom to get back into her repaired and remodeled home. ☺️

Glad for the Cat...and your Mom. My Brother and his Family have a 23yr old Cat, I didnt even know they could live so long!... Was taking my 3 young Kids(3, 6 & 10) on first Trip/Cruise we'd ever been on without their Mother. Well 36hrs before we leave my Oldest(10yrs) pet Hamster got sick-shallow/slow breathing and in a Coma like state. My Daughter wanted us to take it to the Vet in middle of the nite and Cancel the Cruise. It passed away couple hrs later and we went on the Trip. Irony is after getting off Cruise we planned on staying in Florida another day but at last minute got cheap Red Eye Flight getting home at 8:30am on 9/11/2001. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:00 PM, Coralc said:

I can't address the company's lack of communication, but you are either cancelling for a covered (medical) reason and your doctor fills out the required paperwork. And you receive a cash refund. 

Or you cancel for any reason you want and receive a future cruise credit for a % of the cost. It is not clear whether you are filing a claim under which benefit. Presumably the insurance company is aware of the reason. 

The one time we had cruise line insurance, my mom wanted to cancel because her cat was sick. I was so mad at her, that I was going to wait until the next day. She would have received a probably unusable % FCC, for a frivolous reason. That afternoon a giant tree fell on her house rendering it unhabitable. So, I was able to file a claim for a covered reason, and she received a full refund. Of course, I had to do all of the filing and submit the photos and insurance reports. ☺️

In CA, we have a State Insurance Commissioner, and you can file a complaint with that office, they will assist if you are having problems with a company. 

Yes cancelled for medical and sent in docs statement on AON's form.  They just can't get their act together and seem determined to cheat their customers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Irony is after getting off Cruise we planned on staying in Florida another day but at last minute got cheap Red Eye Flight getting home at 8:30am on 9/11/2001. 

WOW. That was really close thing. Or you definitely would have been spending several days in Florida. Much better to have been at home during that time. 🤨

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofyisme said:

Yes cancelled for medical and sent in docs statement on AON's form.  They just can't get their act together and seem determined to cheat their customers.

It looks like you have an Insurance Commissioner, too. Let them know you are having issues with the company: https://www.insurance.pa.gov/Consumers/insurance-complaint/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks for the clarification. I hope it works out for you eventually. They are registered to sell insurance in your state, so the Commissioner has clout. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

WOW. That was really close thing. Or you definitely would have been spending several days in Florida. Much better to have been at home during that time. 🤨

I know, and alone with 3 young ones. Took cheap Cruise Dec 2001, Cruise Lines were giving them away. Shipmates had stories being stuck during Flight Groundings. One couldn't get International Flight back to US for 9 Days. Said Hotel covered cost of all extra Days, Hotel/Drinks at no Charge. When I got off that Dec Cruise arrived at Florida Airport with line was out the Door. Take our Shoes off? Was day of Shoe Bomber. We had also went back to Florida, drove, in Oct was middle of their Anthrax scare. I was fine but my Kids Grand Parents were not. Though was interesting this weeks after 9/11 going to Disney getting frisked and Security checking all Diaper bags, back packs and strollers. Was a different time

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Goofyisme said:

Okay, we're getting closer. We now know that you cancelled due to a medical reason and filed for that reason. (FYI this has nothing to do with CFAR in any way, shape, or form)

Here is a link to the policy (I think) CW RC Cover Page Ver. 200801 (archinsurancesolutions.com)

The policy is administered by AON but underwritten by Arch.

Someone else can chime in but here is a copy and paste regarding medical

"Benefits will be paid for covered Medical Expenses incurred, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, subject to the following: 1) covered Medical Expenses will only be payable at the Usual and Customary level of charges; 2) benefits will be payable only for covered Medical Expenses resulting from a Sickness that first manifests itself or an Injury that occurs while on Your Trip; and 3) only Medical Expenses incurred by You within 365 days of the date of onset of Your Injury or Sickness will be reimbursed"

Appears to me that the policy will only cover medical that occurs during the trip.

Here is the definition of Pre-Existing Condition and look back period

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your coverage for which You or Your Traveling Companion or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with You: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before Your coverage is effective under this policy."

From my understanding, which is amateurish at best, the OP may be out of luck when it comes to a medical claim.

How much of a deposit are we looking at? May be time to lick your wounds and move on. If the deposit is substantial, may want to consider the CFAR route

• Like 1

We have always purchased insurance through Allianz.  But as they say, you never really know how good your insurance is until you need it. Well, my husband had surgery mid November and was unable to travel for our Dec 1st cruise. I contacted Allianz & uploaded documents they requested and in less than 2 weeks I had the refund check. Needless to say, they are my choice for travel insurance. 

• Like 2

We frequently use Traveguard which is AIG. The policies with them always felt more comprehensive. That being said, with ALL of these insurance companies, the devil is in the details in terms of what they cover AND the conditions that must occur for the policy to kick in. Regardless of what any insurance selected, you must read the fine print prior to purchasing and walk through what would happen with the situations that might be of greatest risk to you.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:33 AM, ONECRUISER said:

I know, and alone with 3 young ones. Took cheap Cruise Dec 2001, Cruise Lines were giving them away. Shipmates had stories being stuck during Flight Groundings. One couldn't get International Flight back to US for 9 Days.

I used to work with a guy that was stuck in Alaska for an extra week while doing a primitive survival camping thing.  The plane was supposed to get him on the afternoon of 9/11.  His backpack was smaller than ours when we spend the day at Six Flags.  Things like a knife and a fish hook.  The worst part was that he couldn't roam far because he had no idea when a plane might come to get him.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 12:35 PM, klfrodo said:

Okay, we're getting closer. We now know that you cancelled due to a medical reason and filed for that reason. (FYI this has nothing to do with CFAR in any way, shape, or form)

Here is a link to the policy (I think) CW RC Cover Page Ver. 200801 (archinsurancesolutions.com)

The policy is administered by AON but underwritten by Arch.

Someone else can chime in but here is a copy and paste regarding medical

"Benefits will be paid for covered Medical Expenses incurred, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, subject to the following: 1) covered Medical Expenses will only be payable at the Usual and Customary level of charges; 2) benefits will be payable only for covered Medical Expenses resulting from a Sickness that first manifests itself or an Injury that occurs while on Your Trip; and 3) only Medical Expenses incurred by You within 365 days of the date of onset of Your Injury or Sickness will be reimbursed"

Appears to me that the policy will only cover medical that occurs during the trip.

Here is the definition of Pre-Existing Condition and look back period

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your coverage for which You or Your Traveling Companion or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with You: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before Your coverage is effective under this policy."

From my understanding, which is amateurish at best, the OP may be out of luck when it comes to a medical claim.

How much of a deposit are we looking at? May be time to lick your wounds and move on. If the deposit is substantial, may want to consider the CFAR route

Thank you for doing a detailed look.  I already had but knowing my condition began after I placed deposit my interpretation is a bit different than yours as is my travel agent and the folks at RCCL that I have spoken with.  If not the truth then the RCCL reps may be unintentionally representing the insurance coverage when selling the policy.

Several more routes to take but I don't "lick my wounds" lol