Cape Liberty, the 9/11 Museum, and the Statue of Liberty

econprofessor

Hi,

I am thinking of booking a trip on Silversea in November 2023 from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale.  It overnights in NYC, at Cape Liberty.  I really want to see the 9/11 museum and memorial.  It does not appear the cruise line has any tours going there.

What is the best way to get there?  How much time will it take to get there?  I ask because you need to purchase the admission tickets in advance.  

Since it overnights in NYC, I would also like to take a water trip around the Statue of Liberty, but my main focus is the 9/11 museum. 

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

35 minutes ago, econprofessor said:

It overnights in NYC, at Cape Liberty. 

Thats really a shame they didn't arrange for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal for an overnight, especially with a small ship. 

35 minutes ago, econprofessor said:

I really want to see the 9/11 museum and memorial.  It does not appear the cruise line has any tours going there.

What is the best way to get there?  How much time will it take to get there?

Uber will be the easiest and fastest door to door. You would have to pretty much take an Uber to other forms of transportation into the city such as trains or ferries, so if time is of the essence just pay a bit extra and take the car all the way into the city. But there are less expensive alternatives such as taking an Uber to Newark Penn Station and taking the PATH train into the World Trade Center area. 

During the busier time of the morning or afternoon it could take up to 45 minutes from Cape Liberty so I would budget in some time. 

40 minutes ago, econprofessor said:

Since it overnights in NYC, I would also like to take a water trip around the Statue of Liberty, but my main focus is the 9/11 museum. 

The ferry boats to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island run near the Battery and within walking distance of the 9/11 Museum. You can also take a ferry from the New Jersey side where you'll be docked-- again it will be a shorter Uber ride from your pier to where they depart. 

Thank you so very much!  Since this was a highlight of the trip, I didn't want to book the cruise until I knew what getting to the museum entailed.  Since the cruise is there for a day and a half, it looks very doable.  

I too, wished they docked at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.  Silversea is now owned by RCL, so I guess they are obligated to use their facilities.

Can you give me an idea of what the weather will be like in mid-November? 

Vikki

Edited by econprofessor

2 hours ago, econprofessor said:

Can you give me an idea of what the weather will be like in mid-November? 

Vikki

Mid-November in New York could be sunny in the low 70’s , windy and rainy, or possibly the first snow (light dusting) of the season.  Most likely pretty decent for touring, as not a particularly rainy time and neither too warm or very cold — but generally unpredictable.

Uber to Newark Penn station, take the path to world trade. You could also Uber to liberty state park, take the ferry to the SOL/Ellis island (tickets purchased in advance), get on a NYC ferry, then 9/11, then path back to Penn station. If you just go into the city, the Staten Island ferry is free and will go by the SOL, you will need to get back off and back on to return to the city.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, econprofessor said:

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

If you are comfortable using public transit, use PATH trains from Exchange Place in Jersey CIty, do not backtrack to Newark Penn Station (only wasting time). From the PATH Exchange Place station take PATH train in direction of WTC. You could uber or taxi from Cape Liberty in Bayonne or you could also taxi from the terminal to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail at 34th St, then light rail direction of Hoboken to Exchange Station then walk to PATH Exchange Station. The latter requires more time.

Depending on what time your ship departs the next day, you could uber or taxi to Liberty State Park in Jersey City NJ for Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry. Statue city cruisers is the authorized seller of tickets. 

Alternatively, you could depart from the ship on arrival day to Liberty State Park. Ferry to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island. Rather than board the ferry back to NJ, you would take the ferry to NYC, then walk to the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. You would be responsible to return to Cape Liberty on your own. Liberty Landing Ferry travels from Vesey St (short walk from 9/11 Memorial) to the ferry station in Jersey City, then uber to Cape Liberty.

When you exit the terminal in Bayonne, once outside go right. This is the area for car services, there are overhead hanging numbers in each zone. Uber rather than taxi would be your best option since this is a port of call rather than disembark/embarkation. Likely, taxis will not be at the port & you would have to call 1 of 2 local companies.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:00 AM, mjkacmom said:

You could also Uber to liberty state park, take the ferry to the SOL/Ellis island (tickets purchased in advance), get on a NYC ferry, then 9/11, then path back to Penn station. 

This actually is not a bad plan.  You can check the SOL/Ellis Island boat schedule online.  

However, instead of going to Penn Station just take the Path (take it from the World Trade Center Station) to Exchange Place and Uber/Taxi from there.

Downtown Manhattan (the Battery) can be very nice and extremely interesting to walk around especially if the weather is good.

If you are up to it, Manhattan is a VERY walkable city.

I am personally completely shocked that a luxury line like Silversea does not have a free transfer to Manhattan.

FYI, when you sail into NY harbor you pass directly under the Verrazano Bridge, you have a wonderful view of the lower Manhattan Skyline, and you will have a very nice view of the Statute of Liberty as you approach the port.

13 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

If you are up to it, Manhattan is a VERY walkable city.

True to a point-- most individual neighborhoods in Manhattan are very walkable. But getting between those areas will require some form of transport or a very long, time consuming walk. To folks that haven't been to NYC before-- it needs to be said that Manhattan is vast in comparison with most cities. 

Most of all of thats been discussed is near Battery Park City and the Financial District which is generally walkable. But if the OP wanted to say jump to Midtown to see the sights there they should plan on using a cab, Uber, or subway. 

Edited by princeton123211
added

22 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

True to a point-- most individual neighborhoods in Manhattan are very walkable. But getting between those areas will require some form of transport or a very long, time consuming walk. To folks that haven't been to NYC before-- it needs to be said that Manhattan is vast in comparison with most cities. 

Most of all of thats been discussed is near Battery Park City and the Financial District which is generally walkable. But if the OP wanted to say jump to Midtown to see the sights there they should plan on using a cab, Uber, or subway. 

Based on the original question I assumed that the OP wanted to stay downtown. That is why I mentioned the Path from World Trade to Exchange Place.

I have walked from the battery to New York Penn a couple of times and find it interesting but with limited time it may not make sense.

However, while they are very touristy, the double decker buses can be fun if there is enough time and will give you a broader view of NY.

As it was said before it is a complete shame that they did not overnight in Manhattan.  Would have made things sooo much easier and allowed more time in New York.  As others have pointed out Cape Liberty is in Bayonne NJ, and while I think the Costco near the port is rather nice not much else to say for that spot.

Thank you everyone.  I talked with Silversea today and they said I could hitch a ride on the "Lower Manhattan and 9/11 memorial Tour".  We would then be responsible for getting back on our own.  Due to my DH's physical limitations, Uber would be best for our return.  (We cannot take the entire tour as my husband cannot walk that much.)

Vikki 

• Like 1

FYI, if this is a weekday and you are returning in the late afternoon/evening there might be considerable delay due to commuting traffic.  From Manhattan to NJ there is one bridge (George Washington which is uptown) and 2 old tunnels (Lincoln Tunnel and Holland Tunnel).   Things can get very congested during rush hour.  Just be sure you don't have to get back by a specific time.