Is Smart Attire what in the US we call Business Casual?

LB_NJ

3 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

They also didn't fly!

Depends how far you go back.  Wikipedia says first commercial TA jet airplane service was 1958. It says that Pan Am used a Boeing 707.   BOAC used a different model jet.

Before that there was airplane service but initially multiple stops enroute.

And even earlier there were airships however that is probably too far back.

On 1/1/2023 at 6:56 PM, WoorimBeachLady said:

Well yes I guess. We weren’t scruffy but it wasn’t our usual attire. And we were prepared to leave if the Maître’d didn’t like the look of us.

First night at Britannia dinner also seemed to be a lot of people in their travel clothes.

Boarding day dinner you can attend in much more casual clothing because luggage might not have been delivered to your room yet.  Just don’t board in shorts and thongs!  That applies to every cruise line.  Departure night is usually also a little more lax in dress code, although most people won’t have put luggage out that early.

51 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Boarding day dinner you can attend in much more casual clothing because luggage might not have been delivered to your room yet.  Just don’t board in shorts and thongs!  That applies to every cruise line.  Departure night is usually also a little more lax in dress code, although most people won’t have put luggage out that early.

I think thongs may not always mean the same?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Port Power said:

First night understandable if luggage not arrived but i still put a collared shirt for DH and smart top for me in our carry on for such an occurrence, however on QV last August there was imo a poor standard of dress on the last night, there were some outfits not even suitable for doing the gardening or putting the bins out! Imo its easy to leave out of the main luggage a pair of chinos and collared shirt for a chap and likewise for a lady a pair of trousers and smart top which can be rolled up to go in a carry on.  The lower halves could easily be used to travel home in. Been a couple of articles in the papers recently about dress standards in life in general based on the demise of kiwi show polish and job interview standards. 

30 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

First night understandable if luggage not arrived but i still put a collared shirt for DH and smart top for me in our carry on for such an occurrence, however on QV last August there was imo a poor standard of dress on the last night, there were some outfits not even suitable for doing the gardening or putting the bins out! Imo its easy to leave out of the main luggage a pair of chinos and collared shirt for a chap and likewise for a lady a pair of trousers and smart top which can be rolled up to go in a carry on.  The lower halves could easily be used to travel home in. Been a couple of articles in the papers recently about dress standards in life in general based on the demise of kiwi show polish and job interview standards. 

I’m fascinated by the concept of people having a special dress code to put the bins out. I wear whatever I’ve got on, plus a mac if it is raining. But there is obviously more to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I'm all in favour of comfortable clothes for work - why are suits ever needed for work - and I mean ever... if you need a suit to create an impression, well....

However, strangely, I rather liked the concept of dressing up for a couple of special nights on QM2 and even went and bought a fitted dinner suit before the crossing (the investment in which means we have to go on Cunard again, and are in June 24 on QA)

7 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I'm all in favour of comfortable clothes for work - why are suits ever needed for work - and I mean ever... if you need a suit to create an impression, well....

However, strangely, I rather liked the concept of dressing up for a couple of special nights on QM2 and even went and bought a fitted dinner suit before the crossing (the investment in which means we have to go on Cunard again, and are in June 24 on QA)

I’m eternally mystified by men’s clothing. Here I’m baffled by the apparent opposition between suits and comfortable. Surely a decently fitting suit is as comfortable as anything?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I’m eternally mystified by men’s clothing. Here I’m baffled by the apparent opposition between suits and comfortable. Surely a decently fitting suit is as comfortable as anything?

Suit  equals jacket and tie. Which some find less comfortable  than an open neck shirt. 

8 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Suit  equals jacket and tie. Which some find less comfortable  than an open neck shirt. 

But surely it doesn’t have to be, if it fits properly and isn’t too tight. That’s what I find mystifying, though I admit wearing a tie means you have to get up a little earlier, which is never good.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

But surely it doesn’t have to be, if it fits properly and isn’t too tight. That’s what I find mystifying, though I admit wearing a tie means you have to get up a little earlier, which is never good.

All I can suggest is try wearing a tie and a shirt with a proper collar every day for a week and see what you think 

12 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

All I can suggest is try wearing a tie and a shirt with a proper collar every day for a week and see what you think 

Well, when I was at boarding school among a group of extremely stroppy teenage girls, we had the choice of wearing a tie, with shirt and cardie, or our shirts open-necked with jumper. The vast majority of us chose to wear the tie. And that was for six years not just a week. So you can guess what I think.

Edited by exlondoner

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Everybody is different.  Personally, I can't stand the feel of a buttoned collar.

My only objection to a jacket is when they keep the heat to high or in the summer if the air conditioner is not set to a low enough temp.

4 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

In the US if you are a lawyer in court the judges expect you to dress properly (i.e., suit and tie).

In England I assume completely different dress code for Barristers (at least based on the old English movies that are on TV from time to time).

15 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

In the US if you are a lawyer in court the judges expect you to dress properly (i.e., suit and tie).

In England I assume completely different dress code for Barristers (at least based on the old English movies that are on TV from time to time).

Dress "properly" is still expected in many areas in the UK, but I'm an engineer haven't worn a suit for work for about 35 years, and haven't worn a tie for probably 25 years, and even then that was only for meetings.  There really is no point; people will work better if comfortable.

Estate agents (your "realtors") will still tend to wear suits, car salesmen will generally wear a tie. All to "impress". In the words of Shania Twain - "that don't impress me much"... 

20 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Why would I generally wear any sort of jacket indoors? Why would I put a suit jacket on to go out rather than an outdoor jacket suitable for the weather conditions? Why would I wear a suit jacket outdoors in summer - i wouldn't have any jacket, so where do I put the suit jacket I'd have with me?

Dress standards have changed on cruises and not just on Cunard, some people are against them, some not. Before Covid when we were on Queen Victoria a gentleman removed his jacket at dinner and placed it on the back of his chair, a bit later the Maitre D came round and he complemented the man on having a wonderful jacket, then saying that it would look much better on him rather than on the chair. He removed the jacket from the chair held it up for the man to slip on, he then brushed the mans shoulders with his hands remarking how lovely it looked on him he then turned away and carried on with his duties, job accomplished. It is now no longer required to wear a jacket in the evenings so it's peoples choice whether they do or don't.

We were on a Regent cruise earlier this year where the dress code is classed as elegant casual but even so i would estimate that 80/90% of men chose to wear a jacket at dinner. How you dress is what it is, some people (like us) like to dress up other people may wish not too, it is and rightly so everybody's right to dress how and what they feel comfortable in. (as long as it is within the cruise companies guidelines)

In life people have choices to make, some indeed are more serious than what you should or should not wear while on a cruise but at the end of the day it is entirely up too the individual on how they wish to dress. As for me i just wear what my wife tells me.😉

• Like 2

I've never been uncomfortable when wearing a shirt and tie, even at the start of my transport career when I drove buses. Some colleagues would have liked to whip off their ties and unbutton shirts to waist as soon as the sun came out!

I mentioned last year that when planning for our QM2 trip we took photos of us wearing lots of outfits to select what looked best. I then combined pics to see how outfits would look as a couple. It soon became clear that I would have been embarrassed to be photographed beside any of my wife's 14 outfits in anything less than a suit with tie.

I did take less formal clothes for daytime wear. I consider that I look really scruffy in some of those photos.

Next time I will actually save space and weight in our packing by dressing up more.

I will take gym wear (for the gym) and swimwear. Otherwise, I won't be taking shorts or chinos, no T-shirts or polo shirts, red deck shoes and blue derbies will be left behind.

In hindsight I think 3 x dinner suits and 3 x lounge suits was more than I needed, so next time it will be 2 + 2, shoes will be 2 pairs black leather, gym trainers and pool flip-flops. I think I'll still allow myself some short sleeved shirts for daytime, and the other trousers will be lightweight wool that could substitute for those in the suits.

We're looking at glitzing up my wife's outfits a bit more so my savings may be used there. Although I can't see us needing to go over the 58kg we took last year.

Of course, that is our choice and others can do what they want as far as we're concerned. We quite enjoy privately discussing how awful some folk look in their ripped jeans etc! 🤣🤣

Edited by D&N
missed a "to"

My husband hasn't a clue what I pack in my suitcase or what I'll be wearing until we're ready to go out of the cabin together. 🙂

I have a good idea what's in his suitcase as he's usually asked my opinion which jackets go with which trousers and what shirts should he take for when he goes tie less,  before packing.

I  think we look quite acceptable, day or evening but to us we're on holiday and dressing each day, whether for dinner or during the day isn't a precise art. Dress how ''you'' want as long as it's within the advisory codes.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:32 AM, Windsurfboy said:

Still says dress shirt under what to pack

In my terminology a dress shirt is one you would wear with a dinner suit (tuxedo!). A formal shirt is one you would wear with a lounge suit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Denarius said:

In my terminology a dress shirt is one you would wear with a dinner suit (tuxedo!). A formal shirt is one you would wear with a lounge suit.

One of the areas in which UK and US English are most disparate seems to be garments. This makes a rather fraught subject even more so.

• Like 3

I am still working on Wall Street in NYC and I see dress codes certainly dumbed down. Especially younger people in the business who should dress for the professional role. Managers encourage dress down all week too. 
How are these people going to be motivated to go on a wonderful Cunard voyage to dress up?

I am a ardent supporter of the Cunard dress code and wear suit/tie at work; I feel very comfortable on-board and in the office properly dressed. My first time in QM2 Queen’s room for Formal Night (2008) was a great experience and hate to see that experience dumbed down. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1