Cruising without Passport

schultz572

If the OP has people who have never traveled outside of the US

Are only going on a 3 day cruise.

I bet they will probably never need a passport for anything else in the near future.

Stop suggesting they spend $130 + for something that will never get used again.

• Like 5

Since you mentioned that you will be sailing a 3 night in March out of Port Everglades ( Ft. Lauderdale), I assume you will be sailing on the Liberty.  Please note that upon arrival after your cruise, that those with passports will go thru Facial Recognition and those with birth certificates will have a separate line with face to face with Customs.  The line is usually very long, so I would time it that you group gets off as early as possible to avoid the very long BC line.  ( I work at the port and Liberty is one of the ships I work with)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mscinmia said:

Since you mentioned that you will be sailing a 3 night in March out of Port Everglades ( Ft. Lauderdale), I assume you will be sailing on the Liberty.  Please note that upon arrival after your cruise, that those with passports will go thru Facial Recognition and those with birth certificates will have a separate line with face to face with Customs.  The line is usually very long, so I would time it that you group gets off as early as possible to avoid the very long BC line.  ( I work at the port and Liberty is one of the ships I work with)

We were on Odyssey over Thanksgiving.... went thru immigration around 8:15am ...with BC's....No line

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 1:55 PM, robtulipe said:

. Guests age 16 and older that present a Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID issued by the government.

That stinks for teenagers who live in states where 17 is the driving age.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:58 PM, hal2008 said:

Grown adults not having passport means they have never traveled outside USA ever!! 

Or it means it's been more than 10 years since the last time they've traveled outside of either the US or a closed-loop cruise, which is definitely possible if they have preteens/younger teens.

On 12/23/2022 at 5:58 PM, hal2008 said:

Grown adults not having passport means they have never traveled outside USA ever!! 

And your point is??

Lots of adults in the US have never been outside the US, some never outside the state they state were born in.  There's gotta be a first trip outside the US for every world traveler. It just so happens a passport isn't required if that trip is a closed loop cruise, and on some itineraries (like OP's 3 night Bahamas cruise out of Florida) it's exceedingly unlikely that something will happen for a passport to be required.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 12:38 PM, robtulipe said:

only if all in their group are US born citizens.

I believe a naturalized US citizen need to have a passport for a close loop cruise from a US port.

This is not true.

Naturalized citizens can travel on closed loop cruises without a passport with their naturalization certificate. Non-citizens possessing a permanent record card (Green card) can travel on their green card without a passport.  However, legally present, non-citizen, US residents must have a passport.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

We were on Odyssey over Thanksgiving.... went thru immigration around 8:15am ...with BC's....No line

Totally different demographics Odyssey vs, Liberty.  Most of the guests on these short 3/4 night cruises use birth certificates.  Very few on Odyssey and Harmony....

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:11 AM, matj2000 said:

I bet they will probably never need a passport for anything else in the near future.

Passport is good for 10 (!!!) years… and you never know what will happen during those years.

Our project manager who haven’t renewed passport since 90s suddenly had to go on business trip to Mexico. For money had to pay money to expedite passport … she could have 40 years worth of passports.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 3:44 PM, schultz572 said:

A few of the group members were not born in the United States but these individuals have lived in the US with citizenship for many years and also have passports. I assume that would not affect the others without passports? All other group members that do not have a Passport were born in the United States.

hippo

if any of them are from Puerto Rico, they need to have the new version of the birth certificate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:11 PM, hal2008 said:

Interesting.

Guess we hang in different demographics.

Hard pressed to think about any relative/friend/neighbour/coworker who has not traveled outside USA in ten years. 

US state department publishes the statistics annually. 
The most recent report places the percentage of Americans with a passport at 37%

Edited by not-enough-cruising

No need for a passport, but it might slow you down on return is the only issue.  We sailed twice since July and when clearing CBP upon disembarkation they had two lines USPP holders and Gov ID/BC.  First time ever, Port Canaveral had facial recognition we stood in front of a camera, got a green light, and walked out.  Never even showed our USPP.  We were once on a cruise when two people in our group had all their stuff stolen, included USPP and all ID.  When we hit Fort Lauderdale they just told the CBP officer they had no ID.  They gave some verbal info and were sent on their way.     

On 12/24/2022 at 6:11 AM, matj2000 said:

deleted

Edited by mpdog42

On 12/25/2022 at 10:20 AM, Tatka said:

Passport is good for 10 (!!!) years… and you never know what will happen during those years.

Our project manager who haven’t renewed passport since 90s suddenly had to go on business trip to Mexico. For money had to pay money to expedite passport … she could have 40 years worth of passports.

The other way you could look at it is for 40 years of purchasing a passport, that would be over $500 PER PERSON.  If you only need it once, that's a pretty large outlay.  

Your project manager should have talked to the company and asked if they would help defray some of the costs.  

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The other way you could look at it is for 40 years of purchasing a passport, that would be over $500 PER PERSON.  If you only need it once, that's a pretty large outlay.  

Your project manager should have talked to the company and asked if they would help defray some of the costs.  

They did. However US is the only country where people don’t get passports in some weird reason. $100+ is really nothing … it’s a fraction of cruise cost and good for 10 years! 
Rules change. Some time back you could fly to Mexico or Canada, or Caribbeans without one, now you must have it. Why not spend this little for a peace of mind? Will you even remember about in several months? 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tatka said:

They did. However US is the only country where people don’t get passports in some weird reason. $100+ is really nothing … it’s a fraction of cruise cost and good for 10 years! 
Rules change. Some time back you could fly to Mexico or Canada, or Caribbeans without one, now you must have it. Why not spend this little for a peace of mind? Will you even remember about in several months? 

Well, we are one of the largest countries in the world, and -- as such -- we have many opportunities for travel right here "at home".  

I assume everyone has a birth certificate sitting around the house, so that costs nothing and is good forever. 

The question isn't, "How long is it good?"  The real question is, "How many times will you realistically use it over the next decade?"  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Really?  You know that much about American travelers?  I think not.

48 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, we are one of the largest countries in the world, and -- as such -- we have many opportunities for travel right here "at home".  

I assume everyone has a birth certificate sitting around the house, so that costs nothing and is good forever. 

The question isn't, "How long is it good?"  The real question is, "How many times will you realistically use it over the next decade?"  

I moved to US 27 years ago from the largest country in the world. We could travel to as many or more places inside which we did. However till that time we couldn’t travel abroad much. Some did, but it was not easy. It was a dream to travel… 

To have US passport (or opportunity to have it)  and not to travel….. It costs only 

$10+ dollars per year. 

Edited by Tatka

37 minutes ago, Longford said:

Really?  You know that much about American travelers?  I think not.

Me? I only lived here for 27 years.

I constantly read hear about tough choice to get passport or not to get. People think less about going out and spending same amount. 10 years…