Gala nights dress code for men

barbon2

I’m not trying to start a “cruise board dress code war”, but what would you say is the average dress code for men on these nights.

Our last few Caribbean Cruises before Covid were on Crystal and Oceania which were both country club causal. Our last HAL cruise I believe was in 2016.

We are going on the Rotterdam in January and we are not sure how dressed up or down these nights are.

I am thanking everyone in advance for their input.

Barb

'Average' is difficult to pinpoint, since what men wear on 'dressy nights' (as they're called now) runs the full gamut; from a polo shirt and slacks to a full-on tux with tails (and everything you can imagine in between).

Current minimum requirement is a collard shirt and long pants. I usually war a dress shirt (no tie), blazer and slacks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, barbon2 said:

I’m not trying to start a “cruise board dress code war”, but what would you say is the average dress code for men on these nights.

Our last few Caribbean Cruises before Covid were on Crystal and Oceania which were both country club causal. Our last HAL cruise I believe was in 2016.

We are going on the Rotterdam in January and we are not sure how dressed up or down these nights are.

I am thanking everyone in advance for their input.

Barb

This isn't something to be worried about.  It's probably a decade since most men (and women) 'dressed up' on gala nights.  Then, it wasn't unusual to see tuxedos and long sparkly dresses, but now they are definitely in the minority.   Personally, OH and I still make an effort for the occasion and that would include a jacket for him, but so long as men wear long pants and a shirt with a collar, they can't go wrong.  However, don't be surprised to see t-shirts and even shorts.  Almost anything seems to be acceptable and we don't let what other people want to wear affect our enjoyment of a HAL cruise.  Each to their own.

• Like 2

Although jackets are not required. I found most men wore at least a sports jacket on Gala nights on most cruises I have taken on HAL. I have noticed on the Caribbean cruises there were less than European cruises, while my Alaskan cruises fell in the middle.

For me putting on a jacket for a few upscale dinners has not been a deal breaker. I fine my wife and i enjoy the occasion.

• Like 1

Just got off the Statendam on 12/17. This is approximately what I saw of "dressy night" for men.

1% in tux, 10-20% in shirt and tie only, 20-35% in sports coat/suit. A large number, it seemed, in just slacks and long sleeved and collared shirt. For my 40th cruise in February, I know I'll be fine in dress slacks, collared shirt and really nice coordinated tie, and in the specialty restaurants too.

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 3

I usually wear a strapless gown, at time see-through and the high heels take some getting used to! Requires lots of shaving, however............

15 Celebrity Men Who’ve Worn Skirts and Dresses and Looked Fabulous in Them

OK, just kiddin' 😉 - Have been wearing a suit and tie on gala nights  for a while now

• Like 1
  • Haha 20

5 hours ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

This isn't something to be worried about.  It's probably a decade since most men (and women) 'dressed up' on gala nights.  Then, it wasn't unusual to see tuxedos and long sparkly dresses, but now they are definitely in the minority.   Personally, OH and I still make an effort for the occasion and that would include a jacket for him, but so long as men wear long pants and a shirt with a collar, they can't go wrong.  However, don't be surprised to see t-shirts and even shorts.  Almost anything seems to be acceptable and we don't let what other people want to wear affect our enjoyment of a HAL cruise.  Each to their own.

Who is they?

I spent way too much time fretting over whether or not to bring my suit on a West Coast cruise on the Koningsdam.  I am so glad I didn't bring it because I felt "over dressed" with a shirt and tie on the two "dressy" nights.  I saw maybe one tux and approximately ten males wearing a suit on the sold out Koningsdam.  Women, of course, were generally dressed up, unlike their male partners who were seen in baseball hats, tee-shirts and yes, even tank tops on the "dressy" nights.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IBM Sweathog said:

Women, of course, were generally dressed up, unlike their male partners who were seen in baseball hats, tee-shirts and yes, even tank tops on the "dressy" nights.

While I'm all for folks dressing how they want, after all it's THEIR vacation, right? But this report just makes me a little sad..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IBM Sweathog said:

I spent way too much time fretting over whether or not to bring my suit on a West Coast cruise on the Koningsdam.  I am so glad I didn't bring it because I felt "over dressed" with a shirt and tie on the two "dressy" nights.  I saw maybe one tux and approximately ten males wearing a suit on the sold out Koningsdam.  Women, of course, were generally dressed up, unlike their male partners who were seen in baseball hats, tee-shirts and yes, even tank tops on the "dressy" nights.

We had the same on the NA in Nov. and there were also women in shorts and tank tops.

I never judge anyone’s attire, and to be honest, I have never noticed tank tops and shorts in the MDR on any cruise I have taken.

I see people in all types of attire at night. 
Never assume.

We tend to dine late some evenings, so I may be dressed casually at 6 pm when someone is dressed for dinner and have not yet changed.  Some people may dress casually and order room service or grab the buffet.  And some may change after dinner to go to a show or have a drink.  
To each their own.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, barbon2 said:

but what would you say is the average dress code for men on these nights.

Start off with jacket and tie - if you feel over dressed - ditch the tie - takes seconds.

If the jacket is too much - drape it over your chair at dinner - then drop it off in your cabin afterwards.  

• Like 5

Do you guys wear jackets in the Caribbean? If so, why? It is pretty warm. I am a professional person with two post graduate degrees and don't understand the logic in that. You can look just as "nice" without a jacket. People get married on the beach and don't wear that stuff. A jacket isn't really a ticket to elegance 

Edited by Reds4life
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 5:17 PM, Copper10-8 said:

I usually wear a strapless gown, at time see-through and the high heels take some getting used to! Requires lots of shaving, however............

15 Celebrity Men Who’ve Worn Skirts and Dresses and Looked Fabulous in Them

OK, just kiddin' 😉 - Have been wearing a suit and tie on gala nights  for a while now

I saw this guy on HAL fifteen years ago when HAL started “As You Wish Dining” 😀

• Haha 2

there is no dress code really - long pants and a shirt for men -

My husband wears a tux and I long a sparkly -   because we are older lol and enjoy elegance - but many people could care less and do what ever they want -  

• Like 3

Always a touchy subject, but we think most (not all) folks simply want to dress in a way that "fits in" with the crowd.  There will always be outliers (at both ends of the equation) but that is just life with large groups. DW and I always enjoyed dressing-up on formal/gala/dressy nights but we think that is no longer the norm.  When we have been on HAL ships (over 500 days) I always brought along my tux and DW had plenty of formal wear.  On our next HAL cruise (in March) this will no longer be the case.  Times have changed (whether we like it or not) and we are willing to change with the times.  So now, we will no longer bring along my tux and DW will likely tone down her outfits.  

For we men, I think just having a jacket (I prefer a basic blazer) now works on just about any line/ship.  One possible exception is Cunard, but that is a different story.  I seldom wear a tie anymore (except if wearing my tux) as I find them uncomfortable and no longer see the need.  Decent slacks, a nice, collared shirt, and blazer seems to work on just about any ship.  As to the ladies, I think most understand what looks good on themselves.  

I do think that some of my fellow men go out of their way to dress like low life's and that is enough to tell me to avoid those folks.  Personally, I do not see the lure of wearing a backwards ball car (or any ball cap) indoors unless in a venue like a sports bar.  But I am old fashioned (like many on HAL) and come from an era when gentleman did not wear hats indoors (except in Texas and Oklahoma).

Hank

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, esimon said:

there is no dress code really - long pants and a shirt for men -

My husband wears a tux and I long a sparkly -   because we are older lol and enjoy elegance - but many people could care less and do what ever they want -  

Actually there is a dress code, and you mentioned the minimum for men. One correction though, it's a collared shirt, not just any shirt. For example, 'wife beaters' do not qualify.. 😉

• Haha 1

interesting -  I feel like too many people "change" with the times -  If more held to the standard ( which has been lowered by - hmmmm snow flakes LOL)   maybe things that hold the standard high would not be lowered- just a thought  

bottom line - where what you want

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Actually there is a dress code, and you mentioned the minimum for men. One correction though, it's a collared shirt, not just any shirt. For example, 'wife beaters' do not qualify.. 😉

Oh NO, I’ll have to put the wife beaters back in the draw.  They look great on his mid-seventies body and especially well with his Speedos. 😂😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 5