Sapphire Princess Alaska-Suite location advice needed

From Air to Sea!

We have finally planned our first cruise in three years. We decided on the destination (Alaska) and the ship (Sapphire) but we really need some expert advice on cabins! At first we thought about the Premium Suite at the very forward of the ship - I love that balcony but is it practical (wind, etc) and can it be used while at sea (I’ve read different things on this). Then we also like the Aft Grand Suite. We’ve always sailed in a balcony but wanted to treat ourselves since our 30th anniversary cruise was cancelled in 2020. 
Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. 

Similar story to yours. Earlier this year, we celebrated our 40th with our first cruise in two and a half years. Previously tried a forward facing balcony and won't do that again. Have read of soot problems with aft cabins, but no personal experience.  We've found a higher level of cabin does not enhance the experience. Some may feel that it does.

As you read the other threads here, you will see that others are dissapointed by some of the changes in the last three years; the daunting Medallion App, changes in food, poor internet. These types of things impact your trip more that which cabin you choose. 

I’ve sailed to Alaska many times and I sailed the Sapphire to Hawaii last month. You’ve picked a great destination on a great ship congratulations!  

I also sail forward facing and aft facing suites almost exclusively but for Alaska I’d pick the aft facing every time. The grand suite is really special and you will not regret it. 

The forward suite balcony may or may not be useable at sea.  It’s really up to the weather at that moment which is why you hear conflicting reports. But the aft facing suite is almost (but not entirely) guaranteed to be windless and useable. While sailing out of Skagway the aft is facing north for hours upon hours as you sail down that lovely fjord.  Check the University of Alaska northern lights webpage. If the KP factor is 4 or more set your alarm for 1 am and start looking for them from your lovely windless north facing balcony. I’ve seen them twice on 2 different sailings in May. 

MDR breakfast, lunch and dinner will be delivered to any full suite cabin upon request.  But the Grand suite has a dining room table with 4 chairs inside in addition to your balcony dining table. If you experience any difficulty getting thru to room service on your phone (MDR can’t be ordered on the ap) call guest services and they can usually get you someone.  If it (or any issue comes up that isn’t easily resolved) continues to be an issue, use the medallion ap Crew Chat feature to ask the Guest Services director to give you a call. It was Dean Haan last month and he was simply amazing!  He really ensured every day of our 15 day Hawaii sailing went beautifully.  

In the 120 plus days I’ve sailed princess since the restart the ap on board has worked well the vast majority of the time. I can understand why someone would complain about it if their one and done sailing had issues, but I’ve got a lot of sailings to compare and have fallen in love with it.  The crew chat means never, ever standing in line at GS, love checking my portfolio every day on it!, the locate your shipmate feature is priceless.  The Order Now feature can be wonky sometimes (hint always double check the delivery location before ordering).  But honestly over all my sailings it really has worked great far more than not. 

I sailed 20 days in Alaska this year alone and the internet worked fine for what I needed (texts, sending pics and emails, browsing internet) when I needed it.  If it didn’t I just put down the iPad and tried later. I’m in Alaska with some of the most beautiful scenery in the world 24/7 so I simply didn’t stress out about internet. 

Speaking of scenery, this year I splurged on a pair of Nikon monarch 7 10 X 42 binoculars and am so glad I did.  I can’t believe it took me this long!  The experience was night and day from my old less than binoculars that I’d been using. 

Food is subjective so no one can really predict how you will feel about it.  My experience has been 90% good to great. On the Sapphire last month I had the best lobster tails ever on a ship. (On my aft facing balcony with a gorgeous Hawaiian sunset show) I usually don’t even order them as I’m from the east coast where my mom gave me lobster as my first solid food (not really but you get the idea).  

If anything isn’t to your liking simply request something else.  

Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, From Air to Sea! said:

We have finally planned our first cruise in three years. We decided on the destination (Alaska) and the ship (Sapphire) but we really need some expert advice on cabins! At first we thought about the Premium Suite at the very forward of the ship - I love that balcony but is it practical (wind, etc) and can it be used while at sea (I’ve read different things on this). Then we also like the Aft Grand Suite. We’ve always sailed in a balcony but wanted to treat ourselves since our 30th anniversary cruise was cancelled in 2020. 
Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. 

We fell in love with our aft-facing Vista Suite cabin on the Caribbean Princess (similar style to the Sapphire) when we cruised through the Panama Canal last May. Since then, we have booked another aft-facing VS on the same ship for a 2023 Canadian cruise, on a 2024 B2B Antarctica cruise on the Sapphire, and most recently on a 2024 B3B "Voyage of the Glaciers" Alaska cruise on the Grand, all similar ships with huge fully covered aft-facing balconies. You will definitely not be disappointed if you book one of these, if any are still available as they can go fast.

I love the front facing cabins.  There have been very few days that we haven't been able to use the balcony.  Even in the middle of the ocean on a cool day sailing to Hawaii.  Sitting behind the balcony wall gives good wind protection. I have booked one for Alaska next year since I think being forward facing when scenic cruising the glaciers will be glorious.  That being said, I also love the Vista Suites.