A few quick thoughts from the Onward

boxman52

1 hour ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

First time Azamara on Dec. 1 & Dec. 22. Windows was hit and miss. Biggest problem was temperature of the food. The Den was a problem on Dec. 22. cruise. Sunshine band at the pool and the Cabaret Lounge were over 90db. Azamara band was much better. Our biggest issues were the BBQ's (smoke is overwhelming and they remove more than half of the deck chairs) and the shops are the worst I have ever seen. Men's shirts from $89 to $199. Joanie saw a watch for $240 which she found locally for under $100.

What was the problem with the den on Dec 22 cruise?

17 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

What was the problem with the den on Dec 22 cruise?

Apparently, they didn't have anyone to play every night. They filled with various entertainers until they found a regular. Playing times changed without notice in the program. The "fiddle family" also disappeared mid cruise. I heard a roomer, but being an entertainer myself, I will not repeat it.

Just now, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Apparently, they didn't have anyone to play every night. They filled with various entertainers until they found a regular. Playing times changed without notice in the program. The "fiddle family" also disappeared mid cruise. I heard a roomer, but being an entertainer myself, I will not repeat it.

They were never on the whole cruise. The booklet explain we had two guest  entertainers.

the piano player went home after her contract ended ir she added days, we were thrilled when  that Keith person left.

we had filling for days. All types of people who could play and not sing. Finally Martin did a set and To y and Christine did three hours. We were very lucky there.

all part of cruising life. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

The “fiddle family” (Doug Cameron and family) did not disappear mid-cruise, they finished their stint as guest entertainers and left the ship as they normally do. They very kindly pitched in to play in The Den on a couple of nights. They have been (very popular) guest entertainers on many Azamara cruises. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Rosroz said:

I really do wish people would read and reread their posts and make the necessary adjustments to spelling and grammar before they press the submit button, thank you

In the general guidelines for this board there is a request for a broad tolerance of grammatical errors given the very differing backgrounds of people who post here.

If one has ceased to benefit from some poster’s efforts I believe that there is a blocking function that should help alleviate frustrations.

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, nordski said:

In the general guidelines for this board there is a request for a broad tolerance of grammatical errors given the very differing backgrounds of people who post here.

If one has ceased to benefit from some poster’s efforts I believe that there is a blocking function that should help alleviate frustrations.

Thank you for posting this.

• Like 2

We got off the Onward yesterday. This was our 12th Azamara cruise and 3rd Azamara cruise since Covid. We may not be your typical Azamara cruisers, but we feel comfortable on the Azamara ships and like the itineraries. We ate at Windows, The Patio, Discoveries and Prime C. The service was good to great. We were pleasantly surprised to find the service in Discoveries much better than on previous cruises. We have heard the destination lecturer on multiple cruises. All of his presentations follow a formula that I find boring while my husband finds interesting. We have certainly heard much better ones on Azamara in the past. We could have sat for hours listening to the other special interest lecturer. We would love to take a class from him. The Cameron Family and Scott Harris, a comedian, were very good. We saw all of the shows in the Cabaret. The CD, we believe, did a good job filling in for Eric. There was no Assistant CD, so he was doing two jobs with a full ship. Customer Service was much better than previous cruises. They took care of issues promptly. All of the crew were friendly and helpful and addressed me by name when I saw them. Every crew member we talked to had had previous contracts with Azamara and had ones in the future. They were happy with Azamara.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 4:12 PM, takemewithyou said:

The lack of piano player is an interesting story.  There was a substitute one brought onboard our 12/12 cruise.  He was not to Azamara standards, I do not think.  We heard that from a number of guests and it was his first contact.  I don’t know if he was supposed to stay longer, but we noted he was on his way to the airport when we disembarked 12/22.

Sad to hear that.  On the transatlantic, I think it was Vassi, who was amazingly talented and awsome.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 6:32 AM, uktog said:

Reports I am hearing from the OPs cruise is that there are no issues with the entertainment which is particularly good to hear as the full time CD is not onboard due to a family situation and the very able assistant has stepped into the role to the extent that many do not know he was originally due to be their assistant.  Folks need to bear in mind the style of an Azamara CD is not a hi-de-hi camp director

If that is Martin, dont miss his talk about fending off pirates.

• Like 1

Just now, Pizzasteve said:

If that is Martin, dont miss his talk about fending off pirates.

No, talk in three cruises. But he is no longer ACD is new title is CD on Onward or Pursuit .He learned that on the crossing but waited to the NY to tell the world, Eric, is in Canada with family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

No, talk in three cruises. But he is no longer ACD is new title is CD on Onward or Pursuit .He learned that on the crossing but waited to the NY to tell the world, Eric, is in Canada with family.

Sorry, my wife corrected me that Tony gave the talk about the pirate attack.  My bad.  Congrats to him on the promotion.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Melissaghoti said:

If you’re onboard the Onward, don’t miss seeing Ass’t CD (I think that’s his position!) Roy Ryan’s show. He has a wonderful voice and sings all the songs. He’s delightful to chat with too.

Agree. He is an excellent performer.

• Like 1

We were on the Onward Christmas cruise.

PirateWife:  “We could have sat for hours listening to the other special interest lecturer. We would love to take a class from him.”

This observation is spot on,  We usually cruise on Crystal or Regent where we have heard the “spy guy” lecture many times.  He is excellent - knowledgeable, engaging, fascinating.  His lectures are diverse and extremely informative. We especially appreciate that he includes positive references to the UK, Canada, Israel, Poland, and others in his lectures,   He is also very approachable.  He is a gifted presenter - precisely what we expect on a luxury line. Azamara should hire him often. 

Overall Aramara was only slightly below Crystal standards. The ship is beautiful and well designed.  The food was good, especially in the MDR.   The specialty restaurants were also good, but perhaps not worth the extra cost.  The entertainment was good, but we would have preferred more live music throughout the day - particularly  earlier in the evening.  

The ship was essentially full.  This delayed some service in the bar areas, but the service was good - even if a little slow.  The spa and store prices were high compared to other lines.  The cabins are small.

Most of the complaints we heard, both aboard and here, were trivial.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

There was shower gel, and bar soap for the sink, but no liquid hand soap. I guess you could use the shower gel for that, though.

Thank you.  I'm packing now so this is helpful.  I always bring a pump bottle of hand soap when it is not provided at the sink. 

We will be onboard the Onward beginning in Lima on Feb 12.   How do you know when the White Night will be?  The Azamazing Night date has been posted, but I have not seen anything about the White Night.  Thank you for your help.

Just now, NKS50 said:

We will be onboard the Onward beginning in Lima on Feb 12.   How do you know when the White Night will be?  The Azamazing Night date has been posted, but I have not seen anything about the White Night.  Thank you for your help.

Look at your schedule.  See what nights you are late in a port.  It is usually one of those nights.  You won’t know for sure until you are onboard.

• Like 2