More bad publicity for P&O

Host Sharon

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think the problem was exacerbated by the change of aircraft being to one class with 60 or so premium economy passengers without the seats they paid for.  Some were also upset at paying to choose seats together and then finding themselves scattered randomly around the aircraft.

No one actually told anyone who qualified to make a claim or how long a delay meant you were entitled to claim. I was delayed 3 hours but assumed I didn't qualify for anything. Others had delays in excess of 5 hours. No one knew who qualified and it was actually P&O who advised those who asked but no one else.

If your arrival is 3 hours or more after the scheduled time you’re entitled to it

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think the problem was exacerbated by the change of aircraft being to one class with 60 or so premium economy passengers without the seats they paid for.  Some were also upset at paying to choose seats together and then finding themselves scattered randomly around the aircraft.

No one actually told anyone who qualified to make a claim or how long a delay meant you were entitled to claim. I was delayed 3 hours but assumed I didn't qualify for anything. Others had delays in excess of 5 hours. No one knew who qualified and it was actually P&O who advised those who asked but no one else.

My previous post addresses some of that.

If people had paid to be seated together, again would be entitled to a refund and compensation (not a lot of compensation, possibly double the cost of seat bookings) from P&O.

You should be able to google delay compensation, regards amount payable and how long a delay would need to be for that payment, as I said depends on the length of the flight.

Edit, found this:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/delays/

5 minutes ago, Mollag said:

If your arrival is 3 hours or more after the scheduled time you’re entitled to it

Depends on length of your flight, please see the link in my post above.

The arrival time is calculated as the moment the aircraft doors are opened.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tring said:

The arrival time is calculated as the moment the aircraft doors are opened.

That's really interesting. We were delayed 3 hours 20 minutes departing so I thought we weren't able to claim. However on arrival Barbados we were held on the plane for 50 minutes as there were no steps.  Would this mean I should try to claim - I wasn't going to and was putting it down to experience.

As I mentioned earlier it also depends on the reason for the delay as stated in the link I posted.  I have copied that below:-

"This depends on what caused the delay – if it wasn’t the airline’s fault, don’t expect to receive any compensation.

Disruptions caused by things like extreme weather, airport or air traffic control employee strikes or other ‘extraordinary circumstances’ are not eligible for compensation."

Just now, tring said:

As I mentioned earlier it also depends on the reason for the delay as stated in the link I posted.  I have copied that below:-

"This depends on what caused the delay – if it wasn’t the airline’s fault, don’t expect to receive any compensation.

Disruptions caused by things like extreme weather, airport or air traffic control employee strikes or other ‘extraordinary circumstances’ are not eligible for compensation."

Lack of cleaners and late arrival from Cancun were the reasons given at Gatwick and lack of steps in Barbados?

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That's really interesting. We were delayed 3 hours 20 minutes departing so I thought we weren't able to claim. However on arrival Barbados we were held on the plane for 50 minutes as there were no steps.  Would this mean I should try to claim - I wasn't going to and was putting it down to experience.

Yes, claim.  There is pre brexit EU case law regards passengers being able to leave the plane.  Clearly that would not have been possible without steps.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Absolutely should be able to claim. If you don't get anywhere with the airline go to resolver they are quite good.

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Lack of cleaners and late arrival from Cancun were the reasons given at Gatwick and lack of steps in Barbados?

It is the responsibility of the airline to find cleaners, so their liability.  The arrival time will be calculated from your original scheduled arrival time of course.

7 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Absolutely should be able to claim. If you don't get anywhere with the airline go to resolver they are quite good.

The delay is measured by CAA as time between scheduled arrival time and the time first passenger being able to get of plane. Airlines may try and fob you off that arrival means touchdown, it not it's when first passenger is able to get off. 

3 72hr delay gets you statutory compensation. 

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The delay is measured by CAA as time between scheduled arrival time and the time first passenger being able to get of plane. Airlines may try and fob you off that arrival means touchdown, it not it's when first passenger is able to get off. 

3 72hr delay gets you statutory compensation. 

Exactly this.

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I too would have put this delay down to experience, if we had arrived with all our luggage and intact. Probably a lot on here would not bother either, which is interesting as it had recently been insinuated that the general public are not to be trusted and just inflated their woes for "Compo".

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Y said:

I too would have put this delay down to experience, if we had arrived with all our luggage and intact. Probably a lot on here would not bother either, which is interesting as it had recently been insinuated that the general public are not to be trusted and just inflated their woes for "Compo".

But this is not a winge about compo,it is about a statutory right if your plane is 3 hrs late,except under  circumstances beyond airlines control

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Maybe I should of expanded. I was agreeing more to the fact the airlines will just fob you off.

The rules are very clear. Yes, the airlines may try and fob you off, but late is late ! 

Why you are late is the important issue. I once flew from LHR to Toronto, and due to a medical diversion to Shannon, and fog in Toronto, which required an unscheduled overnight stay in Quebec,  I arrived 24 hours late, but obviously compensation would not have been applicable in that case. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

But this is not a winge about compo,it is about a statutory right if your plane is 3 hrs late,except under  circumstances beyond airlines control

As I'm trying to get on to UK timing without falling asleep I've researched my flight.  The records show it arrived 3 hours 28 minutes late but doors/unloading did not commence for 55 minutes due to the steps being unable to be affixed to the plane.  Reading what Barbara informed me about the 4 hours  I've pushed my luck and submitted the form based on these times. It will be interesting to see what happens. I've also written to P&O (cheated by using my personal contact) about the lack of entertainment on the return flight and my "clear view" balcony - these pictures are from our two seats, any opinions welcome!

20221223_155504.jpg

20221223_155450.jpg

20221223_155520.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

As I'm trying to get on to UK timing without falling asleep I've researched my flight.  The records show it arrived 3 hours 28 minutes late but doors/unloading did not commence for 55 minutes due to the steps being unable to be affixed to the plane.  Reading what Barbara informed me about the 4 hours  I've pushed my luck and submitted the form based on these times. It will be interesting to see what happens. I've also written to P&O (cheated by using my personal contact) about the lack of entertainment on the return flight and my "clear view" balcony - these pictures are from our two seats, any opinions welcome!

20221223_155504.jpg

20221223_155450.jpg

20221223_155520.jpg

Imho,  not clear,  as you cannot see down to the sea below  your balcony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Imho,  not clear,  as you cannot see down to the sea below  your balcony. 

The light was on all night as well and shone around the edges of the drapes.  There is no net curtain any more either and in St Masrten we had to keep everything closed as those on the NCL ship could see straight in - I assume the glass is not clear to them but preferred not to take the chance.

The cabin was s replacement for one on the same deck further forward, same grade.

We will get ready for our fly cruise by getting all the claims forms in advance 

First one will be to Gatwick parking

I expect the parking valet to be dressed properly in white tie and tails. If not compensation should be due.

• Haha 3

Just now, zap99 said:

We will get ready for our fly cruise by getting all the claims forms in advance 

First one will be to Gatwick parking

I expect the parking valet to be dressed properly in white tie and tails. If not compensation should be due.

Excellent!  I can recommend a good lawyer for the argument whose looking for something to do now she's sorted the insurance issues ...

Strangely I never ask for compensation but it just keeps rolling in from all sources. Must be the way I tell them.

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

20221223_155504.jpg

20221223_155450.jpg

20221223_155520.jpg

Personally we would not be bothered about that, since the view out from the ship was not obstructed.  We were on a deck C balcony cabin on Azura in Oct and could not see down because the balconies from the deluxe balcony cabins on the deck below protrude out from the ship more than the deck C balconies and did not feel that was a problem.

We would not be at all happy being moved from our booked cabin though if we had paid select fare.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Obstructed cabin is generally view straight forward.

re balcony light, you can turn this off - I’m fairly sure Britannia has switch by door but is usually obscured by the curtains.

No, this was the light on the boat stantion.  It was so bright we did not need our balcony light!  Understand why it's there but for what they charged us I'm extremely displeased. I appreciate they did tell us 2 days before about the change because of the air con problem but having paid a very high select fare meeting first time cruisers who'd been given upgrades of 8 and 9 grades from insides to in one case a deluxe balcony I was very disappointed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tring said:

Personally we would not be bothered about that, since the view out from the ship was not obstructed.  We were on a deck C balcony cabin on Azura in Oct and could not see down because the balconies from the deluxe balcony cabins on the deck below protrude out from the ship more than the deck C balconies and did not feel that was a problem.

We would not be at all happy being moved from our booked cabin though if we had paid select fare.

The photos don't show it but if I sat on the right hand chair - remember on Britannia they are narrow and you sit slanted onto straight on - the stations for the boats were in my direct line of view.  I've had the C deck balconies on Azura and love them but you can see straight ahead on those as you can sit forward.