To 'B' or not to 'B'?

jazznruby

I touched on this recently on another thread, and now interested in a broader consensus, pros, cons, etc. Wondering if O has ever considered offering a PH category without butler service? I think I may speak for others here, like my husband and myself, who love the added space and sometimes preferable location of a PH, but not necessarily interested in butler service. Thoughts?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Of course, don't use the butler if you don't want to. I'm suggesting another, lower cost PH category without the service.

You could always make a suggestion  to O in your comment card

It would put less strain on the Butlers  but then again they may just not have as many butlers 🤔

Maybe a PH 4  no butler  or extra amenities provided    just a bigger cabin

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Of course, don't use the butler if you don't want to. I'm suggesting another, lower cost PH category without the service.

No one here can answer that question for you.  Make the suggestion to O to consider for the next build 

Just running the numbers...the penthouse has 1.5+ times the square footage as the (concierge or regular) verandas. The price of a penthouse (PH1) on a random sailing is 1.3 times an A1, so I'm guessing the price of the penthouse is more about square footage than (butler) service. The default gratuity for penthouse is more than for lower categories, but you can raise or lower it as you like. Another (not terribly relevant rambling) thought...the owner's and other suites are significantly larger than the penthouses (and have an extra bathroom) so take longer to clean, but the default gratuity is the same.

Need more space?  If so, book a suite.  If the standard cabin fits your needs,  book it.  Suites on O includes a butler.  Other cabins include a cabin attendant.  Both provide similar services.  On O class ships, I am happy in a veranda cabin. Book a B. If Bs aren’t available, I book an A.  On R ships, I book PH suites. The standard cabins are too small.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Suites on O includes a butler.  Other cabins include a cabin attendant.  Both provide similar services.

No...suites have both a butler and a stateroom attendant. Their duties are not even remotely similar. The stateroom attendant's primary job is cleaning your cabin, making sure you have fresh towels, etc. The butler does not do those things. 

The first time we were in a PH we did not use the butler at all.  Then in November 2005 I tore my meniscus climbing aboard a train in Barcelona, and so was wheelchair bound on the ship (Regatta) for the entire cruise.  By then we were in an OS (booked at the last minute at a bargain rate) which turned out to be most beneficial since the suite was large enough that I could get around in the wheelchair inside the room.  Don't think I could have done that in a PH.  And this time we really used the butler because we needed him.

So we were converted to using the butler.  Plus, in later days they brought on the ability to dine in your suite (PH and above) from the restaurants, and then you really DO need the butler.

So while I wouldn't object if O made use of the butler optional, we would continue to use him.

Just our personal opinion.

Mura

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

The first time we were in a PH we did not use the butler at all.  Then in November 2005 I tore my meniscus climbing aboard a train in Barcelona, and so was wheelchair bound on the ship (Regatta) for the entire cruise.  By then we were in an OS (booked at the last minute at a bargain rate) which turned out to be most beneficial since the suite was large enough that I could get around in the wheelchair inside the room.  Don't think I could have done that in a PH.  And this time we really used the butler because we needed him.

So we were converted to using the butler.  Plus, in later days they brought on the ability to dine in your suite (PH and above) from the restaurants, and then you really DO need the butler.

So while I wouldn't object if O made use of the butler optional, we would continue to use him.

Just our personal opinion.

Mura

Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts.