Bad Business - Drink To It.

Robjame

Over a year ago we contracted for 4 legs cruise, OLife Hose Select Beverage Package with the understanding that we could upgrade to Prestige for $20 pp per day.

3 days before the completion of the first leg we received this notification - the upgrade will be $30 pp per day, a 50% price increase.

Would we have chosen the OLife Beverage package? 

Of course the people at Reception respond in the only way they know how - Head Office Decision

We have fought back in the only way we have available so the $20 extra per day, plus the $4 gratuity per day extra,  will not cost us more than what originally contacted for.

What a way to do business.

image.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Over a year ago we contracted for 4 legs cruise, OLife Hose Select Beverage Package with the understanding that we could upgrade to Prestige for $20 pp per day.

3 days before the completion of the first leg we received this notification - the upgrade will be $30 pp per day, a 50% price increase.

Would we have chosen the OLife Beverage package? 

I am not surprised  it went up

More changes to come  I am sure 

JMO

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Robjame said:

We have fought back in the only way we have available so the $20 extra per day, plus the $4 gratuity per day extra,  will not cost us more than what originally contacted for.

You mean you are giving Management their extra money, and taking it out of the pockets of the hard-working crew by reducing your gratuities?  If so, you do not have my approbation.

• Like 2

Wow! Not impressed - particularly when you're on a four leg sailing. I can see increases for sailings which haven't started thus far but not in your situation.  We've most recently been on several Regent cruises and thought we'd give O a try in May but these al a carte increases like this tend to make the all-inclusive aspect of Regent more competitive price-wise.

Hopefully in your case they will do the right thing and honour your continuing package. Good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Robroy said:

Wow! Not impressed - particularly when you're on a four leg sailing. I can see increases for sailings which haven't started thus far but not in your situation.  We've most recently been on several Regent cruises and thought we'd give O a try in May but these al a carte increases like this tend to make the all-inclusive aspect of Regent more competitive price-wise.

Hopefully in your case they will do the right thing and honour your continuing package. Good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

Please don’t tell me that you honestly think you won’t see a similar increase (albeit in a fare increase or surcharge) on Regent.

That said, I advise OP to look at what are the new costs of both basic and prestige packages. If they’ve gone up $10 each, the argument could be made that, since s/he selected the booze O Life perk (and it’s now revalued at $50 pp/day?), the difference to prestige is still only $20.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You mean you are giving Management their extra money, and taking it out of the pockets of the hard-working crew by reducing your gratuities?  If so, you do not have my approbation.

These additional costs amount to $648 US beyond our budgeted amount.

‘What would you do?

4 hours ago, Robroy said:

Thanks Robroy. Exactly our thoughts.

These costs will be $648 US additional unless we find some solution.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

‘What would you do?

I would either pay the cost or drop the package.  I would never cut the gratuity unless the service was so bad that I didn't feel it was merited.  The Crew had nothing to do with this price increase, and they shouldn't suffer for it.  It's like saying "they raised the price of my medication so I'm going to rob CVS and get it free."  Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would either pay the cost or drop the package

Thanks for your suggestion Jazz. I have never believed that caving to bad business demands or to extortion were effective ways of dealing with this sort of thing. 
I will continue to use other means of combatting these incorrect price increases mid cruises.

I doubt I will ever personally be in a situation to accept a $648US price increase without a fight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would either pay the cost or drop the package.  I would never cut the gratuity unless the service was so bad that I didn't feel it was merited.  The Crew had nothing to do with this price increase.

I agree.  While the package may be a convenience, I'd put the pencil to it, figure a reasonable daily consumption, and go a la carte if that's cheaper.  The markup on booze is beyond reasonable on cruise ships.  Does anyone think that when "the house" offers something as a package for your convenience they are losing money on it?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

go a la carte if that's cheaper. 

Unfortunately that is not possible if you have chosen the House Select beverage package as your OLife selection. If this 50% price happened before the cruise began, I would do exactly as you suggest. 
‘That ship has sailed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Robjame said:

‘What would you do?

since you a locked into the OLife  perk  at least for the next cruise

do not upgrade  that is  not locked in  you can still opt out

If you drink more that 3 drinks outside lunch/dinner   then  you have to do the math

Buy something ashore for your cabin or just pay as you go for other bar drinks

JMO

• Like 1

Thankfully, since we can bring our own alcohol on board, I've never ever considered paying O's prices for alcohol. Didn't in 2021 or 2022 in the Caribbean. Certainly won't while in the Med later this year or the Baltic in 2024.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Buy something ashore for your cabin or just pay as you go for other bar drinks

Thanks that is our plan. The additional $60 a day should give us somE spending room!

The purser indicted there is going to be a complete beverage menu and price overhaul. Get ready!

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would either pay the cost or drop the package.  I would never cut the gratuity unless the service was so bad that I didn't feel it was merited.  The Crew had nothing to do with this price increase, and they shouldn't suffer for it.  It's like saying "they raised the price of my medication so I'm going to rob CVS and get it free."  Two wrongs don't make a right.

I get what you are saying but to me it’s a conundrum, as I think it is exactly how the cruise industry wants the consumer feel, badly.  Making the consumer have to decide if they want to feel bad possibly stiffing the crew for something they (the cruise line) should ultimately be responsible for.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That said, I advise OP to look at what are the new costs of both basic and prestige packages. If they’ve gone up $10 each, the argument could be made that, since s/he selected the booze O Life perk (and it’s now revalued at $50 pp/day?), the difference to prestige is still only $20.

I checked that one out this morning. House Select will remain at $39.95 pp pd while the upgrade to Prestige will be $30 pp pd.

2 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I checked that one out this morning. House Select will remain at $39.95 pp pd while the upgrade to Prestige will be $30 pp pd.

FWIW: As you may know, the spa prices recently increased by a whopping amount. On our most recent four segment Marina cruise, we received a note that said we could prepay the balance due (after the O Club $150/person coupon) for a service during the segment when the increase was to take place and only be subject to the original price.

You’d think the same thing would’ve happened in your case: be allowed to prepay the old $20 pp/day before the $30 went into effect.

BTW: what was the answer from Miami about not increasing it for folks who had booked when it was $20?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You’d think the same thing would’ve happened in your case: be allowed to prepay the old $20 pp/day before the $30 went into effect.

BTW: what was the answer from Miami about not increasing it for folks who had booked when it was $20?

Miami is just coming back from the holiday so no response yet.

it has been suggested that there are a lot of accounts with a lot of OBC and that the price increase in beverages and upgrade is designed to cut into that.

After fifty-some cruises on various lines, I guess I take a little different approach to cruising, things I used to think were important, and drink packages.  When I put the pencil to it,  I rarely go for the package.  I cannot drink enough to make a it worthwhile.  A wee dram or three of a good Scotch in the evening is about tops for me, if that much.

That being said, if my TA throws in a drink package, I will expand and maybe have a glass of  wine with lunch and a chi chi coffee in the afternoon, but that's it.

Any day at sea, with someplace to get something to eat and some good Scotch in the evening, is to be savored.

• Like 3

Maybe your” Protest” should include cancelling the Premium package totally for the remainder of your cruises.  Then boycott the drink packages in total on future cruises and if that does not get the message across, boycott ALL BARS ON BOARD. 🤪

I know, it is the principle of the action and it is a bummer for you but in the grand scheme of your cruise, that extra charge for the remaining days of your cruise is insignificant. IMHO
Enjoy all that is great about your amazing cruise adventure with your traveling companions and don’t let this adversely affect your trip. You are in control of your Blood Pressure! 🙏
Mauibabes

Getting to regularly see the price increases my customers are seeing on a host of adult beverages, it doesn’t surprise me that a line with massive debt is passing along those increases.

On many of its lower tiered wines by the glass NCLH can still use its massive buying power to somewhat control prices there so no increase with the standard package. All sparkling wines ( champagne) are an exception to this and considerable price increases have been seen there, along with supply shortages.

”Hard” liquor is a different story. Not even NCLH’s size is going to blunt those increases in cost. Therefore, for hard liquor and the Premium Package a $10/day increase is not outrageous. Wish it wasn’t so, but!!! 

14 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Maybe your” Protest” should include cancelling the Premium package totally for the remainder of your cruises.  Then boycott the drink packages in total on future cruises and if that does not get the message across, boycott ALL BARS ON BOARD. 🤪

I know, it is the principle of the action and it is a bummer for you but in the grand scheme of your cruise, that extra charge for the remaining days of your cruise is insignificant. IMHO
Enjoy all that is great about your amazing cruise adventure with your traveling companions and don’t let this adversely affect your trip. You are in control of your Blood Pressure! 🙏
Mauibabes

From the earlier posts, it looks like OP chose the basic booze as O Life perk. If so, it can’t be changed mid-cruise.

I’d use the logic of the spa increase pre-pay argument. I’d also query others passengers similarly affected by the price jump and go as a group to the GM.

FWIW: Though we originally did occasionally buy the Prestige Package (even before O Life started), particularly on short cruises, we long ago did the math and realized that, even drinking better spirits, the Package was/is not a value for us on our typical long cruises. 

The combo of Happy Hours, O Club et al. invited events, “friendly” bartenders AND bringing our own wine was/is FAR less expensive. 

• Like 1