2023 Grand World Voyage with The Inside Cabin

The-Inside-Cabin

6 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Judy and I take probably 200 photos each day - then try to whittle them down to the best 20 or less.   I try to show things that may help future travelers plan their day.   Many photos are more documentary than a "great" picture.    

My blog is intended more as a port guide more than a daily recital of my activities.    I spend a lot of time researching links and other information about how to get around, what to see, and how to see it.

Thanks for following!   

Aloha.  Thank you again for taking the time to post along with pictures.  As I have posted before we have been blessed to have seen the world both by land a ships and your reports bring back great memories.  Your posts and thoughtful and not self centered nor so you laugh at other guests standing in the rain nor your status on HAL.  I also enjoy Richs posts and as I always say food pictures so keep smiling and have a great voyage! All the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you follow the link HERE and in my signature - you will find 12 other world cruise blogs - as you note - it's fun to see what everyone else is up to!

We like following along with the blogs even when on the cruise. There is so much to do and see and no one does it the same way. We are enjoying so much thru your eyes.. ty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@The-Inside-Cabin....Pete while I am following this world cruise, I also reference your blog as well.

I am in awe over the research you conduct as I am similar but not as talented as you!

I have utiilized your South Pacific cruise and info you shared there while researching for our FIRST ever cruise to Hawaii next January for 18 days on the Kongsindam.  I have found all your information very helpful.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into your postings!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FORMAL NIGHT on the World Cruise for Valentines Day

Here is a quick recap of last night's fabulous formal night.

Dinner was fantastic - menu HERE

Daily Program HERE

Many special activities throughout the day including:

• Valentines Day Paper Flower workshop
  • Valentines Day Card Making workshop
  • ZUDM Radio Valentines day song dedications by the Lido Pool
  • Special Valentines Day Painting with wine workshop ($40)
  • The Couples Game Show
  • Valentines Day Dance
  • Chocolate Surprise
  • After Dance Party

The Crow's Nest was renamed "The Love Nest" and the Rolling Stone Lounge was renamed "The Love Lounge" 

valentines.jpg.2469708cea18cfb28e02d607559e7b73.jpg

The day started with a special delivery!

valentines-2.jpg.37dde8daba7562824ce451148168e384.jpg

Custom World Cruise Chocolates and a Rose - Too pretty to eat?

JUnction.jpg.6793db7b775263ce56059f510e6b9275.jpg

Table 89 kicked off the evening with a meeting of the Tuxedo Junction - Henk (Hotel GM) made a special appearance.  Denise and Walter joined in the fun.

2101461806_HenkatJunction.thumb.jpg.57cb1ec95a49a5e9597239f6fc540f8a.jpg

Henk at The Tuxedo Junction

valentines-3.jpg.f4a05bff6defc3f90b606f51d23d3466.jpg

Pete and Judy with Henk in the Junction

valentines-4.jpg.ad41a16503411a2ddd5aeaadfe12e17c.jpg

Brad celebrated his birthday and became the 4th person to wear "The Big Hat"   (Note - if anyone onboard wants to borrow the Big Hat for your birthday - get in touch    (7054))

167079924_crowsnest.jpg.f58f47066af7bacd2519aca3e862bf1d.jpg

Dancing in the "Love Nest" with music by The Dance Band

1599635938_drinkstation-2.jpg.bd64670a3b44bce800a6caebfa2f176b.jpg

I was shot with Cupid's Arrow - straight thru the head! 

1380086964_drinkstation.jpg.1dbb0489918311d8a53943a5e3f44ec8.jpg

Valentines Day Drink Station in The Love Nest

826029530_chocolatesurprise.jpg.dd2f73dd15433d9996fd03724deb3317.jpg

Waiters serving The Chocolate Surprise at 9:30 in the Love Nest and Love Lounge - Plenty to go around - a lot of variety

1418783654_judywithCaptain.thumb.jpg.e36ff3f521fd576b249cf765d44f6a2c.jpg

The Captain stopped by the Love Lounge

The Valentines Day party had FOUR venues in progress:  The Dance Band in The Love Nest,  The Classical Duet (aka Adagio) in the Ocean Bar, The Rock Band in the Love Lounge and the Piano Duet in Billboard.   

Every venue had good participation - with nice crowds - but seats were always available.    Everyone had a choice of the atmosphere they desired - and the sound level - and a good time was had by all.

A great day and a great evening - A YouTube Short will be published later - but I wanted to get this our quickly 

Now back to my work on Port Arthur and Hobart 

We arrive in Adelaide in 4 hours.....

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Re:  Null Island

Our Captain on Grand Africa 23 did indeed know about the marker.

We all wondered how there could be a marker in deep water.

Still we all looked every direction for a float or something adrift.  

There was nothing.

IMG_8398.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Now back to my work on Port Arthur and Hobart 

We arrive in Adelaide in 4 hours.....

Pete, fair winds and following seas. I just received memory pop up of this time in 2018 with 27' swells hitting deck 9 on Amsterdam in the Bass Strait storm. 

FB_IMG_1676426786526.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Pete, fair winds and following seas. I just received memory pop up of this time in 2018 with 27' swells hitting deck 9 on Amsterdam in the Bass Strait storm. 

FB_IMG_1676426786526.jpg

I remember that day now  - here is my post!

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-41-sea/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I remember that day now  - here is my post!

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/day-41-sea/

Thanks for the memory post. We miss Amanda (now flight attendant with United). She did so much for passengers on Zaandam in 2020 (read "Cabin Fever" as a parallel view of our 2020 Amsterdam cruise which had no cases -that we know of). I believe Mario is still with HAL, maybe on Zaandam now. 

• Thanks 1

PORT ARTHUR, TASMANIA (POST #39)

FEBRUARY 17, 2023
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2023 World Cruise
Show More Posts

port arthur feature 1080 2

We explore Australia’s convict history at Port Arthur with some rapidly changing weather

Port Arthur was once a brutal prison for convicts in the 1800s.  Now it’s a UNESCO World Heritage site and a popular tourist destination.  The natural beauty of the area, with its rugged coastline and scenic views, is also a draw for tourists.

JUnction.jpg

The Zuiderdam glided into our anchorage about 1 mile off the coast of Port Arthur, and we had tenders in the water ready to go around 8 am.  The Captain said the weather was great now, but higher winds were forecast for later in the day, which could make tendering more treacherous.

zuiderdam-from-prison.jpg The Zuiderdam at anchor off Port Arthur.  You can see a tender and the tender pier in the foreground.

When we were ready to leave around 10 am, the skies had darkened with clouds rolling in fast with the wind picking up.  Light rain started.  It didn’t look very promising, and had they announced they were canceling tendering and recalling everyone; I wouldn’t have been surprised.  Instead, open tendering was announced, and tickets were no longer required.

We pressed on, but in anticipation of possible delays in returning to the ship, we packed extra stuff if we had to spend the night or get bussed over to Hobart, only 60 miles away by land.

After 13 minutes on the tender, we scurried down the pier towards the shelter to avoid getting wet.

tender-pier-2.jpg Staff from Port Arthur were handing out maps inside this shelter, which is also the departure point for the Harbour Tour, available at no extra charge.

Helpful staff from Port Arthur gave us large maps of the grounds and pointed the way to the Visitor Center.  HERE is the Port Arthur Historic Sites website, where you can find more information.

The basic Port Arthur site entry fee of $47 AUS is already paid as part of our port fee and includes:

• Entry to the Port Arthur Gallery, which includes interactive exhibits and displays that tell the story of the Port Arthur Historic Site and its people;
  • Self-guided Port Arthur Audio Experience;  (Find on your favorite Podcast site)
  • 20-minute Harbour Cruise; (This departs from the Tender Landing – I would suggest doing this as your final activity before returning to the ship – time permitting)
  • Complimentary site talks at key locations throughout the day;
  • Access to more than 30 historic buildings, ruins, restored houses, heritage gardens, and walking trails.

The Visitor Center is about 300 yards away.  Staff in golf carts are available for people with mobility issues.  The Visitor Center is the departure point for all HAL tours.

The Visitor Center has two levels.  On the ground floor, where you will enter when walking up from the tender, you will find restrooms, locker rooms, and a photo gallery.  In the Gallery, you can pull a playing card (representing a particular prisoner) which will correspond to a pull-out drawer in the Gallery where you can learn more about this person and their fate.

prison-cards.jpg At the entrance to the Gallery, you can pick up a prisoner playing card prison-cards-w-judy.jpg Judy’s card was the Five of Clubs prison-card.jpg When you pull out the drawer for the Five of Clubs, you will learn more about your prisoner. In this case: Daniel Fraser

Port Arthur is also the starting point for a 4-day “Three Capes” Hike – more HERE, T-shirts and other items for this are sold in the Visitor Center.

On the upper floor are the gift shop, cafeteria, ticket counter, and a full-service restaurant (open for dinner only).  This level is the main entry for people who arrive by car, and this is also where you will meet your HAL tour bus.  John and Pam discovered a $27 Hop On Hop Off tour they took and gave rave reviews.  Here is a link to the tour company and a copy of the flyer, but I couldn’t find this tour listed on their website – I recommend you send them an email to verify that it will be operating for your visit.

port-arthur.jpg We pose just inside the main entrance to the Historic site located on the upper floor gift-shop.jpg Port Arthur Gift Shop

Port Arthur offers several private tours for an additional charge.  Check out their website HERE for pricing and descriptions.

image-3-e1676539946626.png

We spent two hours here walking thru the Photo Gallery, Gift Shop and eating a leisurely lunch in the café.  Had the weather not cleared, we planned to walk back to the ship via “The Penitentiary ” and call it a day.  Much to our surprise, the winds calmed and the skies cleared, and the rainy dreariness was replaced by a nice day.

port-arthur-feature-1080-e1676675584324. The Penitentiary

Around 1 pm, we left the Visitor’s Center and spent the next 2.5 hours walking around the site.  Here is a site map and the walking direction I recommend.  Several of the buildings will have a guide inside for a “site talk”.  The schedule changes daily, and you can find the current schedule HERE

port-arthur-detail-1-e1676684460372.jpg  Here is the route I recommend for guests arriving on cruise ships. Head directly to the Visitor Center first.

We listened to a few site talks, and they were all enjoyable.

church.jpg The Church at Port Arthur is missing its roof and is empty

While this is advertised as a prison, there are only two structures that held prisoners, the large Penitentiary and the Separate Prison – which functioned as a place of solitary confinement.  Most of the buildings were the living quarters and offices of the staff running Port Arthur.

pete-in-cell.jpg Inside one of the cells at the Separate Prison

Once the weather improved, we were reluctant to return to the ship as the grounds were beautiful, and everything well preserved and interesting.  If the weather were terrible, this stop would not be much fun as a lot of time is spent walking outside.

Port-Arthur-tower.jpg The Guard Tower

We caught the last tender back to the ship.  We would only be at sea a few hours as we headed over to Hobart for the evening and would stay thru the next day.

tender-crew.jpg The always friendly tender crews welcome us back.

Soon after we left, we sailed past Cape Raoul, a striking point of land that drew large crowds of photographers to the open decks.  The winds were brisk and the temperature cool, so most folks were huddled against the ship’s side, trying to stay a little warmer.

cape-raoul-770.jpg Cape Raoul

While in transit, Hyperion Knight gave a mini-concert in Billboard, disguised as a name-that-tune contest.  While Hyperion did ask 25 questions about the songs he would play, he would play them full length, and then you had to guess the name of the song, the composer, and in some cases, the Lyricist.  The songs were equally divided between classical and popular tunes.

hyperion-name-that-tune.jpg Hyperion Knight introduces the next question in “Name that Tune” hyperion-name-that-tune-2.jpg Hyperion Knight

We arrived in Hobart around 8 pm.  Both days in Hobart will be covered in the next post.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

HOBART, TASMANIA (POST #40)

FEBRUARY 13, 2023
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2023 World Cruise
Show More Posts

Hobart 1080

We visit Hobart during two major events and a State Holiday and check out some local yarn shops

12 February

It was still light when we moored in Hobart at 7:30 pm.  Nestled on the banks of the Derwent River, Hobart is the charming capital city of Tasmania.  With its stunning waterfront, colonial architecture, and vibrant arts scene, Hobart has something for everyone.

The ship was cleared at 8 pm, and we headed ashore immediately to try and find some local food to sample.

We arrived Sunday evening on the final evening of the Bi-Annual Australian Wooden Boat Festival.  This 4-day event started on 10 Feb and would wrap up on the 13th,  our final day in Hobart.  The waterfront was crowded with festival participants and now with guests from the Zuiderdam.

This was also the weekend for the annual Royal Hobart Regatta.  The Regatta started in 1838 to celebrate the European discovery of Tasmania and is a public holiday in southern Tasmania.

HAL-Staff.jpg As we left the ship, we were greeted by (L-R): Manish – Assistant Hotel GM, Robert – Finance Manager, Maria – Hotel Executive Assistant, Maja – Guest Services Manager, and Henk – Hotel GM.

Inside the terminal, the craft and souvenir vendors were all gone, but they would return tomorrow morning.

At the end of the pier, there was a large tent crowded with tables and festival participants dancing to the local band “Les Coqs Incroyable”.

Les-Coqs-Incroyable.jpg Les Coqs Incroyable played to the crowd attending the Australian Wooden Boat Festival

It was approaching 9 pm, and most food booths and restaurants were either already closed or closing.  Pam picked up a basket of Sea Urchin Dumplings for everyone to sample.  They were breaded and tasted sort of like a shrimp/scallop blend.

Sea-Urchin-Pam.jpg Pam treated us all to Sea Urchin dumplings Sea-Urchin-tasting.jpg Brad and Cindy sample the Sea Urchin dumplings

On the way back to the ship there was a fireworks show to celebrate the Royal Hobart Regatta.

firworks-by-susan.jpg A fireworks display over Hobert celebrated the Royal Hobart Regatta – photo by Susan

Back on the ship, a local band, Tasmania Uncovered, played for about 45 minutes on a stage set up in the aft area of the Lido Pool.

tasmania-uncovered.jpg Tasmania Uncovered started their show at 9:30 pm, which was the same time as the fireworks Tasmania-Uncovered-2.jpg Tasmania Uncovered – photo by Susan

13 February

This morning was Super Bowl Sunday, and the game was broadcast on the World Stage at 10:30 am local time.  The game was rebroadcast at 6 pm in the Gallery Bar.  We didn’t attend the game but learned later that they had a nice spread of food to enjoy during the game.  Jo Johnston, Writer on Deck, attended the game and blogged about her experience HERE.

Before we left the ship today, I noticed these high-speed catamarans full of people.  I learned that these would take you from Hobart to the Museum of New and Old (MONA)  in about 25 minutes.  This world-class museum houses an eclectic collection of contemporary and ancient art, including works by some of the world’s most renowned artists. The museum is housed in a stunning underground complex with cutting-edge interactive displays and installations.    We spoke with a few people who visited MONA, and they enjoyed their visit very much.

mona-ferry-boat.jpg These Catamarans will take you to the Museum of Old and New in about 25 minutes. Reservations are required

We left the ship around 11 am, intending to visit Hobart’s four yarn shops:

Unfortunately, due to the Regatta Day Holiday, The Wool Shop, The Spindle Tree, and Salamanca Wool Shop were closed.   Bombed Yarn is usually closed on Mondays, but Sarah, the shop owner, quickly responded to my email and agreed to meet us in her shop between 11 am and 1 pm.

We jumped in a taxi outside the cruise terminal and arrived at Bombed Yarns in six minutes – The fare was about $11 AUS.

Sarah was inside her shop dyeing some yarn, but she paused to welcome and show us around.  We spent about 30 minutes visiting and looking around.  She has a selection of the different yarn weights that she has dyed.  There is also a section for Sashiko, featuring thread from Hida Sashiko.  Judy bought some 4-ply fingering in a 100% Super Wash Merino.  The color is a cream base with speckles of blue, rose and green.  The color name is ‘Huckleberry, Cherry or Lime”.  She bought enough yarn to knit a cardigan which currently is her favorite thing to knit.

bombed-yarns.jpg Inside Bombed Yarns sarah-at-bombed-yarns.jpg Sarah, Proprietor, with Judy showing off her yarn

After our visit, we were off via Uber to Salamanca Square and met Table 89 for a noonday meal of Fish and Chips.  We settled on Phat Fish, and this place is outstanding.  You order from the counter, and then they bring you your food when it’s ready.  We all ordered the Fish and Chips, and it was outstanding, some of the best we’ve ever had.  If you are in Hobart and in the mood for fish and chips – don’t hesitate – go to Phat Fish.

phat fish
Phat Fish
great fish and chips 2
Great Fish and Chips
great fish and chips

Phat Fish and Chips are wonderful

Afterward, we strolled down Salamanca Place to St David’s Park, next to the Tasmania Supreme Court.  This park was originally a cemetery but was converted into a park in the 1890s.  Don’t miss the St David`s Park Memorial Walls, located on the east side of the park.  Here you will find the cemetery’s original headstones on display embedded into several concrete walls.  More HERE

st davids park 3
Entrance to St David’s Park
st davids park 2
Gazebo in the center of the park
st davids park 5

St David`s Park Memorial Walls

All aboard was relatively early at 3:30 pm. We headed back toward the ship, taking our time to visit many shops and exhibits associated with the Australian Wooden Boat Festival.  Note:  There are several Wooden Boat Festivals at various locations across the USA.  One of the largest in the USA is in Port Townsend, WA, in Sept 2023.  More HERE

wooden boats
wooden boats 2
craftsman tent
craftsman tent 2
craftsman tent 3
Boat Festival
bernacci tribute 2
Pete setting up the shot
bernacci tribute 3
Almost Ready
hobart harbour statues

The Bernacchi Tribute (2002). Louis Bernacchi was a scientist, photographer, and writer. In 1898 he set out on the Southern Cross and became the first Australian to winter in Antarctica

We browsed the crafts displayed on tables inside the cruise terminal before returning to the Zuiderdam

cruise-terminal-vendors.jpg Inside the Cruise Terminal rainbow.jpg We enjoyed a beautiful rainbow as we left Hobart

Hyperion Knight was our guest for dinner.    We always enjoy hearing his perspective on music, culture and a variety of other topics including American History and the Civil War.

table-89-and-hyperion.jpg Hyperion Knight joins Table 89

Jim Short, an Australian comedian, was on the World Stage and was very funny.

jim-short-2.jpg

jim-short.jpg

Tomorrow is a Sea Day and Valentines' Day

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your great reviews - we are going on the Grand Africa tour in October so interested in the Zuiderdam which we haven’t cruised on before.  As an Australian have also found your reviews of the Australian ports really interesting to see through an overseas traveler’s eyes.  Looking forward to hearing about the African ports when you reach them.  Have read your blog regarding your previous visits to some of these ports which were really helpful too.

• Thanks 1

ADELAIDE, FRINGE FESTIVAL (POST #42)

FEBRUARY 15, 2023
Show More Posts

adelaide feature 2

We visit a dentist and attend a Fringe Festival event

We arrived in Adelaide around 1:30 pm and were cleared to go ashore at 2 pm.  

AdelaideMap.jpg.3afe7d303faaad68ac82fc089b8ceaf1.jpg

As we closed on the wharf, a local Australian Bush Band Ewe-Calyptus welcomed us with a variety of musical numbers while employees of the cruise terminal danced enthusiastically nearby.  

Welcome-Band.jpg Australian Bush Band Ewe-Calyptus Welcome-Dancers.jpg Terminal Staff with a welcome dance!

Once inside the terminal, you will find staffed information counters that have numerous local maps and very helpful staff eager to assist.  You may even find a giant Kangaroo!

Kangarro-in-Terminal.jpg Giant Kangaroo in the cruise terminal Entrance-to-Terminal-area-and-taxi-stand The Adelaide Cruise Terminal is shown here. The covered area is the entrance to the security zone and a waiting area for Taxis and Uber.

A few days ago, one of Judy’s crowns popped off her tooth and we found Oceanview Dental using Google and could make an online appointment for 3 pm to have it cemented back in place.  

We left the ship at 2:30 and took a taxi to Oceanview Dental, a few miles away.  Receptionist Brittany welcomed us and we met Dr. Kimberley Adkins in a few minutes.  She took some x-rays and after cleaning and examining the crown,  cemented it back in place.  The entire process took about 15 minutes and cost $138 USD.  

OCeanview-Dental.jpg

Brittany.jpg Brittany was very helpful at Oceanview Dental

We took an Uber back to the ship to get ready for our evening in Adelaide where we had tickets for the comedy show “Table for Two” featuring Will Tredinnick.  Table for Two is one of the many performances that are part of the Adelaide Fringe Festival.  

“Adelaide Fringe is the biggest arts festival in the Southern Hemisphere!  For 31 magical summer days and nights, Fringe transforms Adelaide and greater South Australia.  Our festival stretches from Whyalla all the way across the state to Naracoorte, with eclectic and vibrant events that include cabaret, theatre, comedy, circus, music, visual arts, workshops and so much more”  

Although the Fringe Festival doesn’t kick off until 17 Feb (after we were gone) we found a few shows, including “Table for Two”  that offered previews a few days in advance.  

The show started at 6 pm at The Mill in central Adelaide.  After researching our options, we decided to take the 4:24 pm train from Outer Harbor to Downtown and then transfer to a bus that would drop us off very close to The Mill.  The Outer Harbor Train Station is only a couple hundred yards from the ship.  The total time for this trip would be about 1 hour, which breaks down to 40 minutes on the train and about 20 minutes for the bus plus the walking time between stops.  

Train-Station.jpg You can see the Outer Harbor train station from the ship, about 150 yards away

On cruise ship days, the station will usually be attended and you can buy a special all-day Cruise Ship card for $10 AUS per day.  There is no discount for multiple days, but you will save on having to wait in line or you may find the station unattended.  The Cruise Ship passes are not sold from the standard ticket machines located on the platform.  The normal price for a daily metro pass is $11.40, so if you can’t get the special cruise ship pass you are not paying that much more.  Here and Here are some videos on how to use the Adelaide Metro Ticket Machines using a credit card or cash.  More on the Adelaide Metro HERE

metro-card.jpg Here is the $10 AUD all-day cruise ship metro card – good on trains, trams and buses

If you find the station ticket office closed and a long line to use the vending machine – don’t wait in line; get on the train.  Each train car has a ticket machine on board.  If you can’t figure out how to use the machine, don’t worry; once you arrive in Adelaide you will be able to settle up your fare at the central station when you arrive.  The machines take coins, Master Card or Visa – no bills or AMEX.  

Train-fare-box-and-validator.jpg Every train car has a ticket machine like this onboard. Credit cards and coins only. The smaller yellow box is the “Validator” where you must tap your card each time you board a train or bus. This will activate your card and start the time for your daily pass. outer-harbor-train-station.jpg This station is not always staffed. There is a ticket machine on the platform or you can buy your ticket on the train – DON’T MISS YOUR TRAIN WAITING TO BUY A TICKET – BUY A TICKET ON THE TRAIN! Table-89-enroute-to-Adelaide.jpg Table 89 waiting for the train – before the delays were announced

After a few minutes of waiting on the platform, they announced our train was delayed by 17 minutes, increasing to 20 minutes and finally 30 minutes.  This was going to cut it too close for our show, starting at 6 pm, so we decided to head back to the Cruise Terminal and take taxis, which ended up costing $71 AUD for up to 4 people.  The taxis run meters and take credit cards.  NOTE:  We have yet to find an establishment that didn’t take credit cards – changing money is almost not necessary.  

entrance-to-the-mill.jpg The entrance to The Mill

The Mill is a very small venue, holding 50 people, and was probably 3/4 full.  The show is a humorous take on a new restaurant with the reluctant participation of an audience member, Sherrie.  Table for Two is a one-man show, with Will Tredinnick playing multiple characters,  as we watched Sherrie cope with trying to get a meal at this wacky restaurant.  Great fun and lots of laughs.  

Table-for-2.jpg Will Tredinnick opens the show Table-for-2-2.jpg Sherrie was so good as the guest, we thought for a bit she was actually part of the cast.  She wasn’t Table-for-2-3.jpg Will playing another of his several characters in the show

After the show, we walked a block to The Original Coopers Ale House where we all enjoyed some tasty pub food.  After dinner, we took a bus back to the train station where we boarded the train back to the Outer Harbor.  

Google Maps gave us the location and time for the next bus that would take us to the Adelaide Railway Station and on to the Outer Harbor and the Zuiderdam.  Bus #232 arrived on time and 9 minutes later we were off the bus at the Train Station and on our way back to the ship.  We were in our cabin a little after 10 pm.  

Having a smartphone with a data plan opens up a whole new world of options when traveling such as easily finding the location of the nearest bus stop and the timetable.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Today we had the 2020 Grand World Voyage Reflection Get -Together.   I will refer you to John and Diane's @tennisbeforewineexcellent summary in the below link.

However, I wanted to add a short video clip of the humorous answer to the question of what Henk was doing during the Pandemic, along with the parade of the crew participants and the toast.   The entire ceremony was about 50 minutes.

There are 483 guests from 2020 on the current world cruise.   21 Crewmembers were interviewed for the ceremony.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

ADELAIDE – KANGAROOS AND GERMANY IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA (POST #43)

FEBRUARY 16, 2023
Show More Posts

kangaroo feature

We visit Mt Lofty, Cleland Wildlife Preserve and Hahndorf

We booked a private tour today with PureSA and would visit Mount Lofty Cleland Wildlife Park, and finally, the German Tourist Village – Hahndorf.

Adelaide-Map-overview.jpg

Leith, our PureSA driver, and guide arrived around 9 am in a 14-seat Toyota Hiace Commuter.  There were only 5 of us in our group, so we had plenty of room.

Mount Lofty Summit

Our first stop was Mount Lofty Summit, which rises 2300 feet above Adelaide with spectacular views of the city and Kangaroo Island, and the Yorke Peninsula on a clear day.

Mt-Lofty.jpg

There is a large viewing area, and we could see the Zuiderdam, over 18 miles away, with my telephoto lens.

Mt-Lofy-View-Spot.jpg Mt Lofty View Spot Zuiderdam-from-Mt-Lofty.jpg The Zuiderdam was visible using a telephoto lens – 18 miles distant Adelaide-from-Mt-Lofty.jpg Adelaide from Mt Lofty

The Mt Lofty Summit Visitor Information Centre, offers educational exhibits and information about flora and fauna of the region, as well as the history and geology of the mountain.  You can also browse through souvenirs and grab a bite to eat at the cafe.

Cleland Wildlife Park

Our next stop was Cleland Wildlife Park.  Located in the Adelaide Hills, this park offers visitors the opportunity to get up close and personal with some of Australia’s most iconic animals: kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, echidnas, and wombats.  The kangaroos and wallabies are particularly friendly, and we were able to get close enough for them to eat out of our hands.

cleland.jpg This sign is for the large groups of guests arriving with the HAL tours cleland-3.jpg Table 89 at the entrance to Cleland Wildlife Park

The park covers over 85 acres, and would take at least 2 hours to walk the grounds briskly.  Small bags of animal food are for sale where you buy your tickets.  The tour we booked included tickets and animal food as part of the overall tour price.

cleland-ticket-counter.jpg The bags of animal food are on the counter where you buy your tickets. animal-food.jpg Animal Food

It was almost 100 degrees when we visited, so many of the activities featuring close animal encounters were not available.  We were here for almost 2 hours and covered most of the park.  We spent most of our time in the area with the Kangaroos.  There are dozens of them, and they are very easy to approach and feed.

kangaroo.jpg

feeding-kangaroo.jpg

empty-hands.jpg Sorry! No more food!

kangaroos.jpg

masked-lapwing.jpg Masked Lapwing

koala-close-up.jpg

koala-close-up-3.jpg There wasn’t a Koala encounter session today due to the heat

koala-close-up-2.jpg

Hahndorf

Our final stop was Hahndorf, a charming and historic village in the Adelaide Hills.  Hahndorf was founded in 1839 by Lutheran migrants from Prussia, and its German heritage is still evident today in its traditional architecture, lively festivals, and authentic German cuisine.

hahndorf-3.jpg

Leith dropped us at the German Restaurant, Haus, at one end of the town.  After our 1 hour lunch, we strolled down Hahndorf’s single main street for another 90 minutes.

table-89-lunch-haus-1.jpg

The town has several boutique shops selling handmade crafts, artisanal goods, and locally made souvenirs.  One popular stop is the Hahndorf Leather and Crafts, which sells handmade leather goods, including wallets, belts, and bags.  The town also has several galleries and art shops showcasing the work of local artists and photographers.

Hanhdorf
Main Street in Hahndorf
hahndorf 5
Fudge!
hahndorf 4
Man Stuff!
hahndorf 2
Hmmm
hahndorf
The Best Hot Dogs
Angel of Hahndorf

Angel of Hahndorf

We discovered an Alpaca Shop were they had a nice selection of finished products and some Alpaca Yarn.    Judy bought some DK weight 100% Australian Alpaca yarn by Tailored Strands.

Alpaca-Store.jpg The friendly Shopkeeper shows off her selection of Alpaca Yarns Alpaca-Store-2.jpg Judy shows off her purchases outside the Alpaca Shop

We returned to the ship at about 4:30 pm.  Our departure wasn’t until 11 pm, so we could enjoy a local musical group who were outstanding.  They played various popular Australian tunes from the Seekers and others – in addition to the classic Waltzing Matilda.

Australian-Folk-Group.jpg The local band performed on the World Stage – they were outstanding!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Arrived Fremantle - Heading out on another Yarn Crawl

The Western Australia Brass Band played for us on arrival while the ship's officers were dancing at the end of the gangway.

It's gonna be a GREAT day!

Here is my yarn crawl post from 2018

freo.jpg

freo-2.jpg

freo-3.jpg

• Like 9

Pete, Thanks for all your posts especially the ones from Australia, my favorite country after the U.S. Have been there many times and have been to all the ports there you have described. The memories those descriptions bring back, especially Tasmania. The effort you have put into your blog is greatly appreciated. Barbara

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a Mardi Gras Party in the Rolling Stone Lounge this evening.

They had a Mardi Gras Gold Coin Scavenger Hunt - they hide 200 chocolate  coins and 138 were turned in.  The winner had 38 coins.

Other events included a "Mardi Gras Bead Toss Game" contest which involved bouncing a ping pong ball into your partner's paper cup and a Mardi Gras "Pass the Beads" contest.

mardigras-3.jpg.cc92709b29278b648f70dc0b0151b5f0.jpg

The King and Queen of Mardi Gras costume contest was held at 9:30 and I was the winner by default as no other man entered the contest.....Another bottle of champagne for my collection!

mardigras-2.thumb.jpg.fa2f7d12794e6e62ff7226bf920c23c8.jpg

Here was the winning King of Mardi Gras Costume...

• Like 18