Pol Aker?

Mudhen

22 minutes ago, D&N said:

@Victoria2 There's nothing wrong with it when served properly chilled.

I think you're right but we have enough alcohol in the cabin so we usually leave it as we have a fridge fairy who keeps me topped up with Gin and Sauvignon Blanc.

As an aside, I wouldn't dream of taking either out of the cabin for consumption around the ship apart from the occasional  contribution to a cabin party somewhere.

• Like 1

What would be helpful would be at booking, passengers could tick whether they wanted

(a)  PA or its alterative

(b)  A carton of orange juice or similar non-alcoholic as a substitute 

(c)  Neither

Surely it would help stock and save staffing time putting it in / taking it away

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D&N said:

@exlondoner We don't drink in our cabin (other than water for hydration).

@ballroom-cruisers Have you done it? That would certainly suit us better. If we don't we either need to pack it for the flight home or leave it behind. It's not any worse than their prosecco.

I found that instruction for gifts of Cunard wines but didn't see mention of PA.

Yes, we have done that many times in more than one venue on board and on all three ships.

It is perfectly refreshing and pleasant - and I don't know why there seems to be so much fuss around this particular drink.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Yes, we have done that many times in more than one venue on board and on all three ships.

It is perfectly refreshing and pleasant - and I don't know why there seems to be so much fuss around this particular drink.

And they didn’t charge corkage?

On 5/14/2023 at 11:58 AM, techteach said:

@ballroom-cruisers Sometimes I think we just need something to talk about and something at which to cast stones. If it wasn’t Pol Aker it would be another brand.

This last sailing we did in September in the Princess Grill, we did have another brand which was not as sparkling as PA. It was pleasant and very tasty. We made it last for several days. We really don't mind what is placed in the cabin,it's a gesture we see it as.  

• Like 5

On 5/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, showingdiva said:

What would be helpful would be at booking, passengers could tick whether they wanted

(a)  PA or its alterative

(b)  A carton of orange juice or similar non-alcoholic as a substitute 

(c)  Neither

Surely it would help stock and save staffing time putting it in / taking it away

Excellent idea. I no longer drink alcohol and before boarding QE last time I contacted Cunard shoreside to ask if the PA could be removed and a substitute provided - alcohol free wine, sparkling elderflower, etc. I was delighted to find a bottle of my favourite AF rose wine (Torres Natureo) in the fridge when we embarked. I'll be requesting the same next June on QA. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

Excellent idea. I no longer drink alcohol and before boarding QE last time I contacted Cunard shoreside to ask if the PA could be removed and a substitute provided - alcohol free wine, sparkling elderflower, etc. I was delighted to find a bottle of my favourite AF rose wine (Torres Natureo) in the fridge when we embarked. I'll be requesting the same next June on QA. 

I've been wondering if they have a range of non-alcoholic wines on board - sounds like they do?

20 minutes ago, allemonde said:

I've been wondering if they have a range of non-alcoholic wines on board - sounds like they do?

it's a very small range but at least it's a start! btw my current favourite alcohol free red is Tempus Two from Oz. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

This is the current offering 

20230611_174544.jpg

20230611_174556.jpg

What is Grand Imperial Brut?

Grand Imperial Brut Vin Mousseux

Crisp appley sparkling wine with a lovely shot of pear juice among the bubbles, which burst into white-flower fragrance.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Champagne (not pink: in the Cunard hierarchy, that is for Q1s and 2s) was the only thing we got as well. 

We got both last August.

Two half bottles of PA plus champagne.

Standards are definitively  slipping

or some might say things are looking up!!! 😄

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

We got PA from the World Club well into the voyage I think.

Oh my word. That's our future cruises cancelled then and a  strong letter to Carnival House in order. I KNEW standards were slipping!

NO POL ACKER  in our cabin!!  😁

Both get same rating of 3.3 on Vivino.

Grand Imperial on 494 comments and Pol Acker 310.

Grand Imperial descriptions predominately Citrus, Fruit Tea and Ageing.

Pol Acker gets Fruit Tree, Citrus and Vegetal.

Seems like there's not much between them.

Interestingly a positive comment for PA comes from someone introduced to it on QV.