Pol Aker?

Mudhen

Giggling at the name....but hey, it could be a nice change from the PA. Hopefully we'll get to try that one. I couldn't find a thing online about Noventina or the Ciaosecco. Something in cans shows up that  is sort of close. Sure hope that's not it, but hope springs eternal!!!!

Don't get me started on the disappearance of the 'Embarkation Ice bucket' ! (Britannia category) 

Since Cunard returned back to service , post pandemic I've taken six cruises ( 3 club dining -3 Britannia category )  On all six voyages the embarkation fizz has been in the fridge . I've had numerous conversations with housekeeping to help me understand the logic of this but to no avail,  however,  finally  (just recently 11 December ) they took onboard my suggestion for the card you post above, as many of those new to Cunard were unaware the Fizz was indeed complimentary. Unbelievable it has taken housekeeping several months after the example I gave of a guest in the next cabin ( new to Cunard) asking were they could find the price list for the alcohol in their fridge  🤦‍♂️     

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Don't get me started on the disappearance of the 'Embarkation Ice bucket' ! (Britannia category) 

Since Cunard returned back to service , post pandemic I've taken six cruises ( 3 club dining -3 Britannia category )  On all six voyages the embarkation fizz has been in the fridge . I've had numerous conversations with housekeeping to help me understand the logic of this but to no avail,  however,  finally  (just recently 11 December ) they took onboard my suggestion for the card you post above, as many of those new to Cunard were unaware the Fizz was indeed complimentary. Unbelievable it has taken housekeeping several months after the example I gave of a guest in the next cabin ( new to Cunard) asking were they could find the price list for the alcohol in their fridge  🤦‍♂️     

Yes, Cunard has lost quite a bit of goodwill by not explaining the reason for the bottle in the fridge.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Yes, Cunard has lost quite a bit of goodwill by not explaining the reason for the bottle in the fridge.

They’re still using the buckets for the Queen’s Grill champagne, or were in November, so I assumed the cruise I took in Britannia in September in which I hunted the Pol Acker down in the fridge (no card then!) had been an aberration for some reason. Apparently not.

I assume staffing issues are behind it if they’re offering the buckets to some but not all. A shame - a small cost (in attendant time alone, really) for quite a lot of ‘wow’.

• Like 1

As an aside on the Xmas cruise from which we returned a few days ago, we found the new PA replacement (the Italian one mentioned) quite quaffable, but ordering room service breakfast Orange juice (x4) to mix with the new fizz made very passable mimosas for one boozy morning.

However we were disapointed that despite us getting double internet allocation (the Gold credit for both the transatlantic leg and the Carribean one) this did not expect to the PA replacement, we only got one single large bottle, with no explanation in Britannia, and no WC second bottle unlike some others we spoke with.  Maybe our cabin attendant forgot?

Given we have now 4 more Cunard trips booked (approx every 6 months from now on) , we will report on the sitation as the year(s) developments.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear. I was on QV to Hamburg on 7th January and there was a bottle of the Ciaosecco in the fridge with two glasses, but there was no card inviting us to drink it! I asked at pursers desk and was told that World Club benefits did not apply on trips less than six nights, so on the basis that the room attendant didn't understand my language when I spoke I left it in the fridge, for fear of a $60 or similar charge on the bill! 

Actually, the card in the envelope on the door didn't work. They had our wrong World Club status. It was a double bed and not the singles we had requested and the dining card showed strangers names, so we had to go to the restaurant to sort it out ourselves. Luggage arrived at 7.30pm only just in time for dinner. Things improved after that but the first day was not a good experience.

Regarding ice buckets, on our QM2 cruise in October (Britannia Club)  the PA was in a bucket although there was very little ice or water in it.

On The QE in June (Princess Grill) the "Contessa" was in a bucket with sufficient ice. I noted the bucket was the stainless steel variety usually seen in Britannia cabins, not the silver-plated one we have always had in the Grills. 

• 3 months later...

An update on the Welcome Aboard sparkling wine offered in our Britannia Balcony cabin upon embarking QM2 today. We received this "Two Truths" Chardonnay Pinot Noir NV from South Eastern Australia.

Not sure the skull on the label provides much of a warm welcome aboard fealing, but maybe that's just me. I"m no expert to offer any sort of informed opinion as to the quality of this offering compared to Pol Acker or the other recent alternatives.

PSX_20230507_142201.thumb.jpg.0a14ce9236fcf71c7b80ab3a9d49b1ec.jpg

• Like 2

@bluemarble

Vivino rates it at 3,4 against Pol Acker at 3,3. Although there's far fewer folk commenting on it.

BTW; Can you take the welcome aboard wine to a bar/lounge to have it served?

I know you can do so with a bottle that someone has gifted through Cunard.

Apparently some versions have this label, which is even worse:

H7uXqJzlT9eL9qUDj8ycXQ_375x500.jpg

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1

The recent last minute QM2 cruise was 5 nights and we certainly received a complimentary bottle of something fizzy, put in the fridge. It was pretty awful so a slug of orange juice mixed with it helped to deaden the taste. Unfortunately there was also two complimentary glasses of said offering at dinner, one on Gala night and one to toast the king, neither of which were imbibed. Its a nice touch, but I do wish Cunard would listen to the feedback and work on finding a more palatable alternative.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

An update on the Welcome Aboard sparkling wine offered in our Britannia Balcony cabin upon embarking QM2 today. We received this "Two Truths" Chardonnay Pinot Noir NV from South Eastern Australia.

Not sure the skull on the label provides much of a warm welcome aboard fealing, but maybe that's just me. I"m no expert to offer any sort of informed opinion as to the quality of this offering compared to Pol Acker or the other recent alternatives.

PSX_20230507_142201.thumb.jpg.0a14ce9236fcf71c7b80ab3a9d49b1ec.jpg

What an awful label.looks like a teen age joke. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, exlondoner said:

I can’t say I like the stuff and we usually leave the bottle untouched, but it’s not that bad. Or rather, it seems to vary a bit, and is not consistently that bad. Rigorous chilling is said to improve it.

We actually tried it less chilled and found it more palatable ...but if its free we'll drink it :))))

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, D&N said:

Can I ask again .............

Can Pol Acker, or whatever sparkling wine is offered be served in a lounge onboard?

Do you mean, ‘Is it possible to bring the PA from your cabin to drink in the bar?’ Or ‘Can I order a glass of PA from the bar?’

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Do you mean, ‘Is it possible to bring the PA from your cabin to drink in the bar?’ Or ‘Can I order a glass of PA from the bar?’

I mean; ‘Is it possible to bring the PA from your cabin to drink in the bar?

Although we don't frequent bars, so it would need to be a lounge.

Edited by D&N
lounge rather than bar

13 hours ago, D&N said:

I mean; ‘Is it possible to bring the PA from your cabin to drink in the bar?

Although we don't frequent bars, so it would need to be a lounge.

I think it is for cabin consumption.

• Like 1

You can bring a bottle of Pol Aker from your room to any bar on the ship and also into the Queens Room, and the waiters will being you glasses for the number of guests who will be sharing the bottle, and they will also offer to open the bottle if you don't want to do it yourself.

@exlondoner We don't drink in our cabin (other than water for hydration).

@ballroom-cruisers Have you done it? That would certainly suit us better. If we don't we either need to pack it for the flight home or leave it behind. It's not any worse than their prosecco.

I found that instruction for gifts of Cunard wines but didn't see mention of PA.

15 hours ago, D&N said:

Can I ask again .............

Can Pol Acker, or whatever sparkling wine is offered be served in a lounge onboard?

No idea as we usually leave it unopened in the cabin but, if it's as dreadful as most seem to think it is [it's drinkable, especially with fresh orange juice] I would have thought not many would 'dare' to be seen in public with a it!😄