2024 solar eclipse - will Carnival have a Mexican Riviera cruise for it?

2011mom

Back in 1998 I took my very first cruise, we wanted to see the solar eclipse in the Caribbean and it was a Carnival ship, it was incredible. There's going to be an eclipse off the Mexican coast but I don't see that Carnival has any cruises there on that date (April 8, 2024). Does anyone know if they'll do something?

There is a Mexican Riviera sailing on April 7, 2024 on Carnival Panorama. That sailing would be at sea on April 8 en route to Cabo San Lucas. The ship will be too far north, by a wide margin, to be in the path of the eclipse.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/2024-total-solar-eclipse-in-us-canada/1167521/amp

August 12, 2045, however, will be a much better time to be cruising to catch an eclipse, as the path of totality will include Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Freeport (Bahamas), the Dominican Republic, and Turks and Caicos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, tidecat said:

There is a Mexican Riviera sailing on April 7, 2024 on Carnival Panorama. That sailing would be at sea on April 8 en route to Cabo San Lucas. The ship will be too far north, by a wide margin, to be in the path of the eclipse.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/2024-total-solar-eclipse-in-us-canada/1167521/amp

August 12, 2045, however, will be a much better time to be cruising to catch an eclipse, as the path of totality will include Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Freeport (Bahamas), the Dominican Republic, and Turks and Caicos.

Do you know when bookings will open for the 2045 cruise? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, tree.critter said:

4/6/24 Miracle to Hawaii, hoping to catch at least partial on this cruise.

You got me curious so I looked up the eclipse view from Hilo, Hawaii. I thought it would be better than this. A well placed Mexican Riviera cruise would be best, but that is a no go. Mazatlan will be right it the middle of it. 

Screenshot 2023-01-05 1.57.30 AM.png

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 2011mom said:

Back in 1998 I took my very first cruise, we wanted to see the solar eclipse in the Caribbean and it was a Carnival ship, it was incredible. There's going to be an eclipse off the Mexican coast but I don't see that Carnival has any cruises there on that date (April 8, 2024). Does anyone know if they'll do something?

I defer to others about Carnival but sister line Princess has a Mexican Riviera cruise that's billed as a "Total Solar Eclipse" cruise.  It currently shows as sold out. ☹️

3 hours ago, tidecat said:

The actuaries say I'm about 50-50 to be around for that eclipse.  

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I defer to others about Carnival but sister line Princess has a Mexican Riviera cruise that's billed as a "Total Solar Eclipse" cruise.  It currently shows as sold out. ☹️

I will be 78 so I am on the same boat as you! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 2:17 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Princess actually has two now that are billed as that. They changed the schedule of the Discovery Mexican Riviera to be at sea on eclipse day, and they changed the Panama Canal sailing of the Emerald to be at sea also in the eclipse path. I'm booked on the Discovery, but I'm still looking around for options. We had a wonderful eclipse viewing on the old Jubilee back in 1991, so I'm keeping an eye on Carnival.

I've looked it up, and right now they don't have any plans.  It's a Monday, so The Panorama will have just left port the day before.  In theory they could book it down to the exclusionary zone, but that would be expensive, the cruise would surely cost more.  

The Radiance is in port Long Beach that day and the Miracle will be on its way to Hawaii.

Mazatlan only had two berths, and right now they're both scheduled, by the Discovery Princess and the ms Zaandam. (Technically Carnival Corp, it's Holland America, but not what you were looking for 😁)

Of course, all this could change, we know cruise ships change their ports all the time, but that's what's currently scheduled.

Edited by deelightfull
Fixed the day of the week

• 5 weeks later...

I'm the OP on this thread, I was happy when I saw the Emerald Princess would alter its itinerary to include the eclipse - and I'm booked! It's too bad Carnival didn't get any ships into the eclipse zone, I'm platinum on Carnival and I have no status on Princess, but I think I'll still have an amazing time!

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 1:26 AM, tidecat said:

lolll... I'll be 62, so hope I'm still here.

...now if we post this in the HAL and Cunard forum...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It looks like the eclipse passes right over our house so we'll be good as long as the weather is clear.

Same here...so I'll be cruising the streets of south-central Texas on that day.🙂

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 7:26 AM, sparks1093 said:

It looks like the eclipse passes right over our house so we'll be good as long as the weather is clear.

I'm not quite so lucky, so I booked a hotel room in NW Arkansas (surprisingly available and relatively cheap) and I'll drive up there from Georgia for it.  

For the last total eclipse, I was able to watch it from my friend's front lawn in E. Tennessee.  The center of the path of totality (the "circle") just happened to pass within 5 miles of his house.  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1