Another holiday ruined by ships not adhering to biosecurity rules -

I think that any suggestion that Cruise ships shouldn’t cruise NZ because of NZ’s strict requirements is unfortunate. These are not new rules and are designed to protect our environment in the same way Australia chooses to protect its environment. I blame the Cruise Companies. They knew these rules existed. In normal circumstances, ships are regularly dry docked and have their hulls cleaned. I suspect that with dry docks being unavailable during COVID, that the problem will only get worse with available dry docking spots being in demand.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The cruiselines should definitely be adhering to the biosecurity rules of the respective country they are visiting. I do wonder why it has become an issue for some ships and not others despite being the same cruiseline.

Possibly ports they have visited recently?

• Like 2

Rather than neglect, I just wonder if in current times if there was anyone qualified to do these marine inspections for a period of time - until recently.

Lots of ships that were on hiatus for 18 months had their scheduled drydocks pushed into the future, and are overdue for a new anti-fouling coating on their hull. A rolling stone gathers no moss - so many ships didn't move much for 18 months leading to issues of marine fouling that wouldn't normally occur.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Not sure if anyone's posted this, but a piece on those companies employed to do the cleaning

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/481893/cleaning-ships-what-s-involved-in-meeting-new-zealand-s-strict-biofoul-thresholds

Thanks! That's an interesting article. Seems it's a bit like the luggage and other travel debacles that have arisen as tourism tries to get back into gear.  No excuse of course.. but does somewhat explain why these ships are running foul of the rules. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not travel ready.

That's right. Just like the airlines.. the airports.. the cafe's etc. All trying to jump the gun and get re-started. However.. they still have to do things properly and it's not acceptable.. 🙂 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Thanks! That's an interesting article. Seems it's a bit like the luggage and other travel debacles that have arisen as tourism tries to get back into gear.  No excuse of course.. but does somewhat explain why these ships are running foul of the rules. 

Most people don't realise that their luggage is lost by the luggage handling companies that are employed to transfer bags from one airline to another.  So when passengers arrive in Auckland and go to the Air NZ counter, they think that Air NZ has lost their bags.  It is much more likely that it was lost somewhere en route and Air NZ has never taken possession of your luggage in the first place.  Doesn't help the passenger though.

We recently had a lost bag, took 2 weeks before it was returned.while one bag made the transfer in Singapore, the other didn't, that may have been because it was already missing from our first flight in Lisbon or the transfer in Frankfurt. 

It doesn't  help when their are third party baggage handling at each airport.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We recently had a lost bag, took 2 weeks before it was returned.while one bag made the transfer in Singapore, the other didn't, that may have been because it was already missing from our first flight in Lisbon or the transfer in Frankfurt. 

It doesn't  help when their are third party baggage handling at each airport.

Airtags - at least you'd know where it missed  the transfer and where it is. 

2 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Cunards Queen Elizabeth is in Lyttleton NZ today - thought she had been blocked from going to NZ?? 

Just restricted. Other ships awaiting a bumscrub have called at ports - Orion called in Wellington. I believe her next stop will be in the waters off Tauranga for her spit & polish. She has however missed the fiords & Dunedin and I think she skips Wellington as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 8:13 AM, arxcards said:

Just restricted. Other ships awaiting a bumscrub have called at ports - Orion called in Wellington. I believe her next stop will be in the waters off Tauranga for her spit & polish. She has however missed the fiords & Dunedin and I think she skips Wellington as well.

No, we stopped at Wellington.  It was our first port of call, because we missed the Fiordland cruise-by, and Dunedin.  Divers trued to clean her hull in the waters off Tauranga,  but conditions were perilous so they had to stop without cleaning the remaining 60%.  Underwater currents.  So no Bay of Islands.  It was still a lovely cruise, though.  Understandably, the large number of Brits aboard were furious, after travelling so far, and then discovering Cunard would have known all along QE would be refused entry to sensitive marine parks.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 7:29 AM, lissie said:

Airtags - at least you'd know where it missed  the transfer and where it is. 

I agree.  They are invaluable, even if only for that secure feeling your luggage can be located, somewhere, sometime, if it’s missing.

• Like 1