Refuge From Celebrity/Princess Seeking Asylum

mnocket

The Celebrity & Princess boards are overwhelmed with posters complaining about cutbacks and price increases.  It seems the gap between Celebrity and RCL is narrowing as is the gap between Princess and Carnival. The concern is that these "premium" lines are no longer premium.

So I'm looking for asylum with other cruise line(s).  I've got my first cruise with RSSC booked for Dec'23.  I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable experience.  However, I can't afford to exclusively cruise on such expensive luxury lines - so I need to also find a new "Premium" line.  I'm wondering if Oceania fits the bill.

In reading this board, it seems that O has also adopted a strategy of cutbacks and price increases, but I also notice that posters here are much less upset about them.  This leads me to believe that O's changes are far less severe than those of Celebrity/Princess and that O customers remain happy with the value offered and are not looking to jump ship (pun intended).   Am I reading things correctly?

Coming from Princess and Celebrity, you will likely be very pleased with Oceania. I cruised Princess and Holland America in the past.  However, for the past the 10 years I've only cruised on Oceania.  Once you try it it will be difficult to go back.  You'll enjoy fine cuisine, more space, no art auctions or photographers and no nickel and diming.  Part of the wonderful ambiance you'll experience will be your fellow passengers.  They are mostly well traveled, interesting and unpretentious. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you want a relaxed, yet upscale atmosphere, with the perks of a 5-star hotel, Oceania may be for you.  Getting ready for our fifth cruise with them and have never been disappointed.

• Like 4

Yes there are cutbacks and higher option costs.  However, where Oceania excels (in my personal opinion and that of my spouse) is the front line staff go out of their way to make or keep you in the satisfied to wonderful zone for the whole voyage.

As foodies and as parents of a high end executive chef, the food is wonderful.

• Like 1

25 cruises on Princess. 1 on Celebrity. One on Oceania. Princess is no longer a premium line.  Wont cruise with them again. Thanksgiving Princess cruises with over 3000on the ship, poor service and not good food.

oceania is worth the money. Not much more than a mini suite on Princess if you just book a balcony on O. Nowhere to sit on Princess unless you book a mini suite. 

celebrity millennium was ok.. excellent Buffett but would stay away from the Edge class, unless you like huge crowds 

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

The Celebrity & Princess boards are overwhelmed with posters complaining about cutbacks and price increases.  It seems the gap between Celebrity and RCL is narrowing as is the gap between Princess and Carnival. The concern is that these "premium" lines are no longer premium.

So I'm looking for asylum with other cruise line(s).  I've got my first cruise with RSSC booked for Dec'23.  I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable experience.  However, I can't afford to exclusively cruise on such expensive luxury lines - so I need to also find a new "Premium" line.  I'm wondering if Oceania fits the bill.

In reading this board, it seems that O has also adopted a strategy of cutbacks and price increases, but I also notice that posters here are much less upset about them.  This leads me to believe that O's changes are far less severe than those of Celebrity/Princess and that O customers remain happy with the value offered and are not looking to jump ship (pun intended).   Am I reading things correctly?

Love this query!  I’m the same as you moving from Celebrity to my first O cruise in May on the founders cruise, so excited.  And dang already those Celebrity posts are over the top, to put it mildly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Take the plunge and book your Oceania Experience. We love the smaller Oceania ships and left the UN Premium Princess over 10 years ago. After 1cruise on Celebrity, we knew that was not our niche and we only hear a lot more complaints about price and eroding product.  
You will find a LOT of Refugees on this Oceania Board so you can ask any question any time. Bottom line IMHO, there is no comparison. Besides we refuse to sail with 2000, 3000 or more passengers. If you can find availability on one of the Vista cruises, BOOKEM DANO! 
Enjoy, Mauibabes 

• Like 4

Changes are happening  on Oceania  as well

What Oceania  will look like in a few months may be different that the O we all know & loved  in the past

I for one will not pay premium prices  for shorter port times , inferior food  etc

YMMV

• Like 1

@mnocket

I see LGW59 got a comment in.  We had commented about slipping in and getting lucky for a booking on the Founder’s Cruise. They too jumped on it and I know it will be fantastic. we are looking forward to meeting them at the M&G on May 13. After watching this video you will see how easy it will be to adopt Oceania.

https://youtu.be/kTE7UuQr9rY

Welcome to Oceania and the family

Mauibabes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess we are also seeing price increases on O, but they are expected if not welcome.

From reading these boards, I think the worst criticisms I’ve read are when price increases happen mid-cruise w little or no notice/recourse (drinks packages), oftentimes confusing/contradictory communication from corporate (can think of several examples recently), or itinerary changes blamed on “sustainability “ (biofoul down under/reduced time in ports).

I’m just back from my first cruise on sisterline Regent, and it was fabulous in every way but I also cannot afford those prices on a frequent basis. So, O continues to be my preferred cruise experience. 
Welcome aboard.

4 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@mnocket

I see LGW59 got a comment in.  We had commented about slipping in and getting lucky for a booking on the Founder’s Cruise. They too jumped on it and I know it will be fantastic. we are looking forward to meeting them at the M&G on May 13. After watching this video you will see how easy it will be to adopt Oceania.

Mauibabes 

LOL I was just about to respond to your post above on how you convinced me to book that cruise and very happy I did.  This also reminds me, a nice person on the rollcall is taking names to be added to the M&G list, I need to go and send her an email now to make sure we do that.

• Like 1

LHT28,

Let’s see what these changes look like in the coming months.  I have seen a number of Oceania presentations focusing on time in ports of call and overnights and how they were doing more of this to enhance their itineraries. We have spent a lot of time in ports and never encountered any “mini stops” like other lines. Let’s hope any reduction of time in port is nothing more than adjusting their latest marketing efforts. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

10 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@mnocket

Mauibabes 

Gerry, what a great video. I was enjoying the wonderful production quality until I saw the shot of restaurant Red “Gignger”. 
No one at O caught that SNAFU? Who’s the marketing exec that let that one slip through? As a academic, spelling counts!

• Like 2

Amen Diva, 

I saw a couple mistakes, not really Oceania like.  I was thinking the. Idea was released by a someone other than O officially but I did not investigate it, just moved on. 
Glad to hear you had a great RSSC cruise. We are with you, it would take some major “offer” for us to make that leap because we have found Oceania is our niche. 

Any chance you are going to be on the Founder’s cruise?  Bonnie and I are going to help Bruce with the M&G on this one. 
Stay well, Bonnie and Gerry, aka Mauibabes 

12 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

LHT28,

Let’s see what these changes look like in the coming months.  I have seen a number of Oceania presentations focusing on time in ports of call and overnights and how they were doing more of this to enhance their itineraries. We have spent a lot of time in ports and never encountered any “mini stops” like other lines. Let’s hope any reduction of time in port is nothing more than adjusting their latest marketing efforts. 
Ciao, Mauibabes

have you been reading the thread   that people are posting LIVE

I know you think Oceania is  the bees knees   but times are changing

We will be on board next week so we shall see.  I am aware things have been “off” due to any number of reasons but we have to hope O “Right’s the Ship” and resolves some faux pax’s.  
I recall years ago Avis pitched being #2, required them to work harder.  We are believers that Oceania will ”work harder” to deliver on the expectations of their guests. 
I guess we will have the opportunity to ask FDR about this in May.  I am sure he does not want to see his creation go by the wayside. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Amen Diva, 

I saw a couple mistakes, not really Oceania like.  I was thinking the. Idea was released by a someone other than O officially but I did not investigate it, just moved on. 
Glad to hear you had a great RSSC cruise. We are with you, it would take some major “offer” for us to make that leap because we have found Oceania is our niche. 

Any chance you are going to be on the Founder’s cruise?  Bonnie and I are going to help Bruce with the M&G on this one. 
Stay well, Bonnie and Gerry, aka Mauibabes 

I’m sorry that I can’t add another vacay this year. Would love to cruise w y’all again! Have to negotiate my V-time w my honey, who no longer travels and misses me when I’m gone. 🥰

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

...So I'm looking for asylum with other cruise line(s).  I've got my first cruise with RSSC booked for Dec'23.  I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable experience.  However, I can't afford to exclusively cruise on such expensive luxury lines - so I need to also find a new "Premium" line.  I'm wondering if Oceania fits the bill. ...

You might pay attention to O's Presidents' Day sale next month. That's how I did my first O cruise in 2021 from the '21 P Day sale.

I’ll kick in as a Princess veteran with 25 sailed voyages.  Sailed thrice with O in 2022, and one with Princess to burn down our Travis quarantine credit.  I’m sure we will sail Princess again, they just have too much coverage on the west coast.  That said, if O chooses to do more on this coast we would be fully converted.  Loved, loved loved our first 3 experiences.  More already booked in ‘24 and ‘25.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

celebrity millennium was ok.. excellent Buffett but would stay away from the Edge class, unless you like huge crowds 

There are reports that Celebrity intends to slash the dinner Buffet across the fleet in 2023.  That is one of the reasons you are seeing posts like this from Celebrity passengers.

No one knows for sure what will happen in 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Princess is no longer a premium line.

Were they ever? I'm not a suite cruiser so I wouldn't know that experience with them. We cruised them once in 2007 and the experience was so poor we had no interest at all in trying them again. 

40 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Gerry, what a great video. I was enjoying the wonderful production quality until I saw the shot of restaurant Red “Gignger”. 
No one at O caught that SNAFU? Who’s the marketing exec that let that one slip through? As a academic, spelling counts!

While I'm no academic, (I barely have an 8th grade education) spelling is a pet peeve of mine, especially in business communications. It is really becoming quite common these days. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Were they ever? I'm not a suite cruiser so I wouldn't know that experience with them. We cruised them once in 2007 and the experience was so poor we had no interest at all in trying them again. 

They were never premium however, we sailed them once in 2018 and I thought they were good (we had an inside cabin). I asked one of the other pax onboard who had sailed a lot and they used the term "regular" to mean nothing special but not bad.  To each his own.

ORV 

It is called Auto Correct and a lack of proof reading 🤬👎 We see a lot of it here on the CC Boards because too often we don’t reread what was typed,  cuz  we know what we meant to say. Yes I did that on purpose. 
We move on 🤪👍

Mauibabes

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

ORV 

It is called Auto Correct and a lack of proof reading 🤬👎 We see a lot of it here on the CC Boards because too often we don’t reread what was typed,  cuz  we know what we meant to say. Yes I did that on purpose. 
We move on 🤪👍

Mauibabes

It's one thing for you or I to throw off a post on a message board, and make a mistake, or auto correct messes you up. Especially when we can only edit for 20 minutes or so.  It's another for a major company to have a mistake in an advertisement or press release, email to customers or a presentation. That's lack of attention to detail. I personally find that unacceptable, oddly enough it's becoming all to common these days. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1