Medallion Holders. Official or Third Party? Recommendations Appreciated.

Guindalf

I hope this question hasn't been asked a thousand times, but here goes.

We're booked on our first Princess cruise (usually Celebrity cruisers) to Alaska on the Discovery in September. There are various options for jewelry or just plain holders for the medallion, but are there third party options we should look at?

Am I wrong in my impression that they are the same size as AirTags?

What about fancy jewelry? Is it worth getting something nice?

TIA

4 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

We're booked on our first Princess cruise (usually Celebrity cruisers) to Alaska on the Discovery in September. There are various options for jewelry or just plain holders for the medallion, but are there third party options we should look at?

TIA

Since your first cruise with PCL,

I’d get the free lanyard when you order your medallions and when OB,

go by the medallion accessory desk,

next to or at the photo desk.

Take a look and decide what you want.

Yes, it does fit in my air tag holder.

Everyone is different.  I like my recycled

rubber bracelet holder from PCL, as it’s convenient off/on the ship at ports to scan.  My gold bangle bracelet, is pretty but use on elegant night, not so practical to use, otherwise and the pendant either.  Those fancy ones would be harder to scan.

• Like 2

I use a small rubber holder that attaches to my watch band. I always wear my watch/fitness tracker, so the Medallion is with me all the time. Just a quick tap from my wrist to the readers.

There are a lot of Ocean and Medallion holders for sale on Amazon and other sites. Yes the Medallions are basically the same as AppleTags, and most of those will work.

• Like 1

I like the ladies' bracelet.  We had OBC on our last cruise so I used that to purchase it on board (the price was in the mid-$50s) during our last cruise.  If interested I do recommend buying it on board  since the sizing tends to run small.  We have a 35 days of cruising coming up in the next 6 months so amortized it wasn't too expensive!

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Since your first cruise with PCL,

I’d get the free lanyard when you order your medallions and when OB,

go by the medallion accessory desk,

next to or at the photo desk.

Take a look and decide what you want.

Yes, it does fit in my air tag holder.

Everyone is different.  I like my recycled

rubber bracelet holder from PCL, as it’s convenient off/on the ship at ports to scan.  My gold bangle bracelet, is pretty but use on elegant night, not so practical to use, otherwise and the pendant either.  Those fancy ones would be harder to scan.

I can confirm that hose fancy ones (I have one with rhinestones) doesn't always allow me to be seen by the scanner.  I often have to place it right on the scanner and/or reposition it.  A big pain for something that should be so simple.

7 hours ago, Guindalf said:

TIA

These worked great for attaching it to a watch and held the medallion well. On our last cruise we used them with our Apple Watch and everyone kept asking us where we got them because they were so much easier to carry and use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095C337PT/

61YzwO3KUPL._AC_SL1469_.jpg

17 hours ago, Guindalf said:

TIA

I have used Air Tag holders ordered from Amazon. They work beautifully.  

I had an AirTag holder for my Apple Watch that I used previously. On my last cruise, i forgot it and bought a Sustainable Sports Band - by the end of the cruise, the rotating piece that is used to keep the Medallion in the band would freely spin on my wrist causing my Medallion to fall out.

1 hour ago, ChangeOrder said:

Here is a pic of the type I use. I put the medallion on the opposite side of the watch face, as I found it easier to tap that way.
image.png.e4a82e025fcce6d8c054e0ac72aff9cc.png

These are the ones we use. They work great on my Fitbit Flex 4 and my husband's Apple watch. The fit is very tight--no concerns about the Medallion falling out. Just search for "princess medallion holder" on Amazon.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 1:48 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I can confirm that hose fancy ones (I have one with rhinestones) doesn't always allow me to be seen by the scanner.  I often have to place it right on the scanner and/or reposition it.  A big pain for something that should be so simple.

The surprising part is that they work at all with the metal ring around the NFC circuit. That basically makes a short circuit. Making the NFC work well in that instance is not going to happen.

On 1/12/2023 at 12:30 PM, ChangeOrder said:

Here is a pic of the type I use. I put the medallion on the opposite side of the watch face, as I found it easier to tap that way.
image.png.e4a82e025fcce6d8c054e0ac72aff9cc.png

I used one similar to this and it was great.  There is one issue though.  If you have NFC (tap to pay) on your watch, the medallion won't work when it needs to be tapped.  Turning off NFC on my watch solved this problem.

I LIKE the lanyard!  I don't wear a watch, so something on my wrist would drive me nutz.  

Hubs bought the recycled band last year.  And was going to reuse it for our next cruise.  He was messing with it and broke the plastic part.  So just know, they don't take much abuse, but they are cheap and something to use onboard credit on.  

He ordered a bunch of airpod wristbands from amazon.  If they work, great and if not, we'll buy him another band on the ship  

On 1/18/2023 at 7:55 PM, ericosmith said:

I used one similar to this and it was great.  There is one issue though.  If you have NFC (tap to pay) on your watch, the medallion won't work when it needs to be tapped.  Turning off NFC on my watch solved this problem.

I didn't have that issue with my AppleWatch. I never turned NFC off, and the Medallions scanned normally for me.