World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

35 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

I believe yellow fever is now only needed once - no boosters.  

Yes, for most people and depending on where one is traveling.

From the CDC:

For most people, a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and a booster dose of the vaccine is not needed. However, travelers going to areas with ongoing outbreaks may consider getting a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine if it has been 10 years or more since they were last vaccinated.

@We_like_to_cruise  I have been following along and have really enjoyed your photos.  I have a question, how do you get your photos to post without them "touching" each other.  You have an individual border around your photos.

I have tried several times to accomplish this but my photos always "touch" each other.

Thank you for any advice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:41 AM, Mflem1278 said:

I was wondering what, if any, vaccinations you had to have for the world cruise.  It is on my bucket list, but I am still working so it is going to be awhile before I get to do the world cruise.  I am sooo enjoying your posts.  Thank you!

Here is what we received from Princess before our cruise.

COVID2.thumb.jpg.1fbc8fd50d2a4ae0f0519754a2728661.jpg

On 3/15/2023 at 2:24 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

/

Yes, the MDR confirmed they do have a Vegan / Vegetarian menu every evening.  I will get a copy and post it later, probably after Dubai.  🙂

Here is one menu.  They do offer a new menu every night.  I am not sure how often the dishes are repeated.

menu4.thumb.jpg.17ba2c5a330df77f8815af6cd6377a8c.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 3/17/2023 at 6:44 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Generally, about the only vaccination required by some countries is yellow fever.  I haven't checked to see if that has changed for quite a while because I'm not due for a yellow fever booster yet.

You can check the CDC website for recommended vaccinations for travel outside the US.  I tend to err on the side of caution and if a vaccination recommended for certain areas in a country, I'll opt for the vaccination whether I have plans to travel to that area or not.  Malaria carrying mosquitos do not observe political boundaries, for example. I also enjoy excursions that include a meal off the ship - such as at a beach resort or with a local family.  Therefore, I get a hepatitis vaccine.

My best advice would be to find a local travel medicine clinic/provider in your area, but go armed with the CDC information.

We were not required to have a Yellow Fever vaccine for any of the WC2023 ports.  When we booked a South America voyage pre-COVID it was recommended we do not receive the vaccination.  The risk of side effects for people our age outweighed the risks of catching YF for the ports we would be visiting. (I am not sure if that recommendation has changed and if the current vaccine is safer for those over 60).

For this voyage we did receive hepatitis vaccinations in agreement with SargassoPirate's thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Here is one menu.  They do offer a new menu every night.  I am not sure how often the dishes are repeated.

It is interesting that some items are not marked with a V, such as the French Onion Soup.

Why put them on this menu if not Vegetarian/Vegan.

And for the ones marked with a V, are they vegan or only vegetarian?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

No, unfortunately only a one day visit.

I think that is the "problem" with world cruises.  So much travelling, but so little time actually seeing anything. I mean, you didn't even see a tea plantation !

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 5:51 AM, LACruiser88 said:

@We_like_to_cruise  I have been following along and have really enjoyed your photos.  I have a question, how do you get your photos to post without them "touching" each other.  You have an individual border around your photos.

I have tried several times to accomplish this but my photos always "touch" each other.

Thank you for any advice!

Yes, it was a work in progress.

When I posted what I ended up doing is copying my text from a Word document.  Then I used the "Drag files here to attach or choose files..." to upload all of my relevant pictures.

Once the pictures were all uploaded, I had to create a space at the bottom of my text (hitting the Enter key on my laptop) and insert the first picture.  Then I had to create a new space using the above technique and continue on for each picture. (Space, insert picture, space, insert picture, etc.)

Next, I posted the entire text / photos.  And finally I had to hit the EDIT tab here on CC to adjust the text spacing.  It did not respect the spacing from my Word document.

You can go on the CC Test Forum to practice.

If someone has a more efficient way of doing this, I am all ears.  Time consuming !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pirates?   

The other day the patter noted a crew “Piracy Drill” at 10 am.  Pirates?  Oh my.  Presumably this is a precaution as we will be traversing the Arabian Sea into the Gulf of Aden and passing Somalia in the next few days.  Watching the drill it seemed that our main defense against the bad guys was to spray them with water.

Let’s hope the pirates have the Wicked Witch of the West gene and that melts them!

Actually, I read the following:  “Water cannons are a non-lethal anti-piracy technology aiming to deter and slow down piracy attacks on ships. Steams of high pressured water are fired at pirate skiffs, which can flood and destabilize them. Cannons are supplied from the ship's fire mains and are best used remotely controlled from the citadel or bridge.”

The captain made an announcement to reassure the guests and invited us to participate.  Our job – to relocate from any outdoor spaces like our balconies or the pool deck.  And, well, hide.  Not many places in our cabin unless we both squeeze into the shower.  I really hope that is not necessary!

piracypatter4.thumb.JPG.a7fd202f0753284755c18e721fb105e7.JPG

2.thumb.jpg.1ce74c9de300169d16d932da6ca870bb.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Yes, it was a work in progress.

When I posted what I ended up doing is copying my text from a Word document.  Then I used the "Drag files here to attach or choose files..." to upload all of my relevant pictures.

Once the pictures were all uploaded, I had to create a space at the bottom of my text (hitting the Enter key on my laptop) and insert the first picture.  Then I had to create a new space using the above technique and continue on for each picture. (Space, insert picture, space, insert picture, etc.)

Next, I posted the entire text / photos.  And finally I had to hit the EDIT tab here on CC to adjust the text spacing.  It did not respect the spacing from my Word document.

You can go on the CC Test Forum to practice.

If someone has a more efficient way of doing this, I am all ears.  Time consuming !

Thank you for the information.  Sounds like a lot of work and I don't have a laptop with me.  I guess my photos can "touch!"  🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Thank you for the information.  Sounds like a lot of work and I don't have a laptop with me.  I guess my photos can "touch!"  🙂

It’s actually easy to do on a phone or tablet. Just hit return twice after you insert each photo into your post. Attached are 3 photos from our most recent cruise. I just inserted each photo into the post and after each one hit the return key twice to put in the extra space. This was done on an iPad.

481652FF-957A-434F-A830-79DCC1173F4D.thumb.jpeg.d281a373fbe6c3eb0a11c4365a6e9129.jpeg

335123F7-7C89-4C45-AB2E-E0387382C2AF.thumb.jpeg.a3a2dd0b87f37e9fd65bef6d3bf83dfc.jpeg

47059D8B-DC39-4833-920D-552799F897C5.thumb.jpeg.1360236c23e0df2c7702650036541cc8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 2/24/2023 at 1:58 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Sorry it took so long.  I went over to the Lotus Spa and confirmed that our ship has  the thermal suite and four hot tile beds.  🙂

Thank you for taking the time out from your cruise to post.  May I ask you a question please?  Were you offered a package price for the thermal suite when you boarded?  My husband wants to take a sauna every day and it sounds like there is no free one now.  We are scheduled to take a world cruise with Princess.  Thank you very much, enjoy the rest of your time!

On 3/19/2023 at 3:41 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to get and then post this.

Can you ask the Maitre D' what the "V" stands for.

I'm wondering if it somehow separates the vegan from the vegetarian.

On 3/19/2023 at 3:28 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Actually, I read the following:  “Water cannons are a non-lethal anti-piracy technology aiming to deter and slow down piracy attacks on ships.

The captain made an announcement to reassure the guests and invited us to participate.  Our job – to relocate from any outdoor spaces like our balconies or the pool deck.  And, well, hide.  Not many places in our cabin unless we both squeeze into the shower. 

On another cruise line, acoustic cannons were the defense.

Also, the hiding place for people with balcony cabins was the hallway.

And while in the ares, lookout staff were on the outside promenade deck watching in all directions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, calmjac said:

Thank you for taking the time out from your cruise to post.  May I ask you a question please?  Were you offered a package price for the thermal suite when you boarded?  My husband wants to take a sauna every day and it sounds like there is no free one now.  We are scheduled to take a world cruise with Princess.  Thank you very much, enjoy the rest of your time!

Guests staying in suites receive free access to the thermal suite. Otherwise, I understand the cost is $299 + 18% service charge for a 14-day package on the Island Princess. You don't have to wait to book it on board (unless you wish); you can book it on your cruise personalizer ahead of time. I vaguely recall that the last time we sailed (on a different Princess ship), we were also able to book a day pass, but don't recall what that cost and don't know if day passes are still available.

Edited by Protirees
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Protirees said:

Guests staying in suites receive free access to the thermal suite. Otherwise, I understand the cost is $299 + 18% service charge for a 14-day package on the Island Princess. You don't have to wait to book it on board (unless you wish); you can book it on your cruise personalizer ahead of time. I vaguely recall that the last time we sailed (on a different Princess ship), we were also able to book a day pass, but don't recall what that cost and don't know if day passes are still available.

Thank you! 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:07 AM, calmjac said:

Sorry, we were not offered a package and as it was something we were not interested in, did not pursue it. 

Dubai, United Arab Emirates 

Day One

Originally we were told the Island Princess would be docked at Port Rashid, convenient to the old city.  But at the last minute we found out we would instead be using the new Dubai Harbor Cruise Terminal, for Carnival Corporation ships.  This change of plan caused much confusion among the passengers – especially since Princess provided us with a Dubai Port Guide and map showing our ship at PORT RASHID!  Helloo Princess, is anyone paying attention ??? 

Every person onboard was required to attend a face-to-passport immigration inspection.  We waited less than ten minutes in the line, greeted the immigration official, offered our passports and were on our way.  Very organized, no fancy time sucking gizmos!  (I’m looking at you Singapore).

This brand new (2020) huge port has boats and yachts on one side and a large parking lot on the other.  There were views of some of the city’s unique architecture and the world’s largest Ferris Wheel.  Otherwise, not too much to offer – no shopping at all.  Some areas seemed to still be under construction.  We like to walk, but it was a long boring 45 minute walk to the nearest Metro station.

We took the clean and straightforward Metro (another 45 minutes) to the old city and visited the Bur Dubai Grand Mosque for its educational “Mosque Experience.”  This was a free tour with guide at this iconic place of worship.  Although we both had dressed conservatively and appropriately to be respectful, DW was provided with abaya and hijab which covered her from head to toe.  (This may have been more for the “experience” than for religious necessity).  We learned about Islam and about the mosque and were offered refreshments and a copy of the Quran.

A few blocks away we boarded one of the traditional abras – small motorized boats that taxi around 20 passengers across Dubai Creek to Deira.  The fare was 1 dirham (about 35 cents) but the driver was happy to take $1.00 for the two of us.  After a few near misses with collisions with other abras (!) we followed the crowds to the spice souk.  Colors, smells, and lots of people.  We nibbled on some fresh dates while browsing.

Wait, is that thyme or “origano”?

Further on was the lavish gold souk.  So much money here in Dubai - there was actual clothing made out of gold.  Some of it looked like chain mail armor and not too comfy. Or at least that is what I convinced DW.  The gold souk offered every imaginable type of jewelry in larger air conditioned stores and $15 Rolex watches on the street.

Later we noticed four businessmen in traditional dress enter a small restaurant.  Follow the locals, not the tourists!  Using the “point at the picture” technique we enjoyed a very nice lunch.  One surprise – the baked flatbread that was served was so large it took up most of the table.  There was barely room for our plates of food.  Following the locals, we tore off pieces and used it to scoop up and enjoy our dishes.

Next stop was the Dubai Mall, one of the largest shopping malls in the world  with 1300 shops and 200 restaurants.

It was easy to spend a few hours here, as there were well over one thousand international fashion brands to visit.  No, we did not visit every one.  But, we did some shopping and also got to see the Dubai Fountain, and the Dubai Aquarium at one end and the Olympic ice skating rink at the other. 

And entry “To the Top” of the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, is through the complex.  But, that is tomorrow’s story.

1.thumb.JPG.066a57127edabfac38e23bb29ab66d6b.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.fc41876eb6ceb44fa1fcbeea897578eb.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.b35e00b941a6a42d71b6c3a7275cd700.JPG

5.1.thumb.JPG.ca715f6fa5daf351016f4be15ca24120.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.613da9b6e1add5b14be81beb6fd7dde3.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.e52ad6a1f8d9a875e36e355588c99c8c.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.60ed81ced2b1e7e2e535756cda3d0a7c.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.f544166f31affffc1dc1c153dbc6f691.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.9fbc11a5e8a9e676a6f854c37ce9e08f.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.3c20046f5809a72f7178a6586c5edf30.JPG

12.thumb.JPG.bfddeb5727a314450038328225406d07.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.00aa28b33ac15b88cda4a414cb06a29f.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.deb0bcf1cdbd8c783daef70c9c68a60e.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.61cd77b321dd489f5ffcc0bd9e6e4433.JPG

16.thumb.JPG.7dfcc4fc940f7f31d257cea359509c9b.JPG

17.thumb.JPG.4c2172559517efd2d5c63d64760d2b2d.JPG

18.thumb.JPG.30865c898fc3dae99f58ca5962738470.JPG

20.thumb.JPG.016770488ad2d2604c964723f7e3df36.JPG

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Day Two

After an early breakfast, we cut our traveling time a little by walking to a city tram and then connect to the Metro.  Hmm, some new boats and yachts in the harbor. 

We have 10 am tickets for the Burj Khalifa and the small print states latecomers may not be admitted.  Despite it being rush hour and the train is more crowded than yesterday, polite young men offer us both seats.  (Not the first time that has happened, thank you!) 

The Burj Khalifa stop is over 30 minutes away, and it is a bit of a walk through the mall to get to the building entrance.  But, due to our early start and cooperative tram/train timetables, we are nearly an hour early.

“No problem, come right in”.

We walk through various exhibit areas until reaching the holding area for one of the world’s fastest high speed elevators.  Not too crowded, and after queuing for 10 minutes we board.  The doors close and after a few seconds I wonder why we are not moving.  Then I look up and notice we are already passing floor 30 – with absolutely no sensation of movement. 

In less than a minute we are on floor 124 and the outdoor observation deck.  We are lucky with a fairly clear view for pictures.  I spot the tiny Island Princess way in the distance (in the yellow circle in one of my pix) – and the larger AIDAcosma (sic) that joined us yesterday afternoon.  With 20 decks and 5200 passengers it is considerably bigger than IP.

There is a staircase up to floor 125 with an enclosed indoor viewing area and gift shop. We can also get a good view of the picture-takers on the floor below us.

There are no time constraints and we enjoy the views for an hour or so.  After exiting, the elevator entry line looks much much longer than it was earlier.

We cannot leave Dubai without viewing Ski Dubai, an indoor ski resort in the Mall of the Emirates. (Dubai has over 60 malls – they must love shopping!)  The animated reindeer are a little creepy, but it was fun to watch people playing in the snow – indoors- when it is 80 degrees outside.  Except for the ski resort, this mall reminds us of the malls at home.

Today is a short day; all aboard at 1:30 pm.  There are a few dirham left on our Metro Nol travel card.  So, after exiting the tram stop we head to the local Carrefour market.  In addition to transportation, the card can be used to pay for groceries and snacks at over 2000 shops in Dubai.   We have just enough to pay for some local fresh figs and the Arabic edition of some spicy Lay’s potato chips.

1.thumb.JPG.e6c9a976be6c53565292c5c764fc2df5.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.f3459adc2900fdeadc15b690ec6f4680.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.9ff61b2f8b2bd76e2a06fdd36a901ebb.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.1450616534bc2741c7874221a7477298.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.8f49cd75cd162c79fe167850d13c9358.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.c5d8cb55ae838bdaa5faa3439a1f0ba2.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.d0ae5303dbe1597f78d54f40a6d282f5.JPG

14.1.thumb.JPG.abdb4bc42d234c774d242eba4576b6fa.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.98cb354aff831ed73843988ffa93c725.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.65a26ae5745bee0c90010ee0f282e243.JPG

17.thumb.JPG.e03ad4aa4ed84932a571140782e1a455.JPG

18.thumb.JPG.31f62d6be91afcace61488c86eb71d51.JPG