World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Primarily to make copious cups of tea (for us Brits) or instant coffee.

It is pouring rain here.  I am into getting educated.  What exactly is this kettle?  Does it plug in and you add water?  Is it like a Keurig?  Purely for educational value as I do not drink coffee or tea.  Thank you!  I do know if I ever have one in my cabin, I will ask them to remove it so I can use the space for something else.

• Thanks 1

As a Brit living in USA I would love a kettle in my room , that being said how much would I really use it ?

I think those poor folks confined during Covid to their Cabins a kettle would have been a blessing , get a hot drink when you want instead of relying on Medallion . 

A kettle is a much loved British household appliance ..Tea, Coffee , Cup A Soup ..I used to use mine to create a steamy environment when one of my babies had croup ,would probably be considered child endangerment these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

It is pouring rain here.  I am into getting educated.  What exactly is this kettle?  Does it plug in and you add water?  Is it like a Keurig?  Purely for educational value as I do not drink coffee or tea.  Thank you!  I do know if I ever have one in my cabin, I will ask them to remove it so I can use the space for something else.

IMG_1241.jpeg.5c64a69f87e760a1aa0becb04f

It is an electric kettle - used throughout the civilised world !

Edited by wowzz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

that being said how much would I really use it ?

We use it to make a cup of tea before going to breakfast, or to make a cup of afternoon tea when sitting on the balcony.  

No point ordering tea from room service, as the hot water provided is never hot enough to release the flavour if the tea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

We use it to make a cup of tea before going to breakfast, or to make a cup of afternoon tea when sitting on the balcony.  

No point ordering tea from room service, as the hot water provided is never hot enough to release the flavour if the tea.

Nothing worse than badly made tea LOL LOL .....after afternoon tea on Royal I thought I may offer a Tea making seminar in the Piazza!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

IMG_1241.jpeg.5c64a69f87e760a1aa0becb04f

It is an electric kettle - used throughout the civilised world !

I have seen this before in European hotels.  Had no idea what I would ever do with it.  Thank you!  I am now educated.  I gave up caffeine before they made decaf.  Just don't drink anything that at one time had caffeine.  My big thing was Tab soda.  I don't miss the tea, coffee, or Tab.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

I have seen this before in European hotels.  Had no idea what I would ever do with it. 

On Asia sailings on the Diamond Princess, the kettle is also used to make instant noodles. Japanese won't go anywhere without their instant ramen.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

On Asia sailings on the Diamond Princess, the kettle is also used to make instant noodles. Japanese won't go anywhere without their instant ramen.

So educate me again.  Do they pack them in their suitcase or does the ship provide them?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, sjde said:

I thought they never wanted plug-ins  in a cruise ship cabin -coffee pot , iron ….but maybe with an auto shut off it’s OK.

Surely all electric kettles have to have an auto cut off ? Certainly that is the case in the UK.

• Like 1

I have an electrical question about the Island Princess. Does the electrical receptacle in the bathroom shut off when the overhead light is switched off? I want to bring a small night light and ran into this problem on an NCL ship.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Hi  - we have a question on Lanzarote.  You said the bus goes "up and down and around and around" Are these sharps curves or gentle ones?  My husband has extreme motion sickness and we can do gentle curves but not sharp ones.   Thanks!!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Boston Accent said:

Hairpin turns- when we did a tour there half the bus was sick!

But the bus is only travelling at  10 mph or so. It is not exactly the ride of death !

Riding on the camels is far more nauseating, mainly due to noxious emissions.

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, HotRoot said:

OK, I'll bite.  What do you do with this kettle?

What wowzz said. It's an in-room electric kettle with tea, instant coffees, creamers, sugar, sweeteners, and sometimes hot chocolate mix.

Common in the UK and OZ markets, the cruise lines don't supply them in other markets, citing them as a fire hazard when we all know it's just a cost saving move.

Years ago when I was naive about such things, I was on a cruise from Sydney to Seattle.  First leg was Sydney to Hawaii.  Second leg was Hawaii to Seattle.  Most of the Aussies got off in Hawaii and the kettles disappeared.  When I asked the cruise director about, with a straight face she said it was because they are a fire hazard.

Now I'm a cynic about such things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

What wowzz said. It's an in-room electric kettle with tea, instant coffees, creamers, sugar, sweeteners, and sometimes hot chocolate mix.

Common in the UK and OZ markets, the cruise lines don't supply them in other markets, citing them as a fire hazard when we all know it's just a cost saving move.

Years ago when I was naive about such things, I was on a cruise from Sydney to Seattle.  First leg was Sydney to Hawaii.  Second leg was Hawaii to Seattle.  Most of the Aussies got off in Hawaii and the kettles disappeared.  When I asked the cruise director about, with a straight face she said it was because they are a fire hazard.

They may not trust Americans to know how to use a kettle safely and correctly.  We are pretty guilty of using microwaves to make tea or instant coffee.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, curious_st said:

They may not trust Americans to know how to use a kettle safely and correctly.  We are pretty guilty of using microwaves to make tea or instant coffee.

How difficult is it to put water in a kettle and switch it on ? You don't even have to switch it off manually !

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Teechur said:

I have an electrical question about the Island Princess. Does the electrical receptacle in the bathroom shut off when the overhead light is switched off? I want to bring a small night light and ran into this problem on an NCL ship.

Thank you!

The electrical outlet (razor only) does not switch off when the overhead light is switched off--at least not in our cabin on the Island. That said, I have tried a small night light in the outlet and it doesn't work well at all, as it is not the same power. My small night light fits but flickers up and down so much that I took it out and just use a very small LED flashlight hanging from the shelf instead. Maybe others have had better luck than I have and it may depend on the type of night light ... not sure.

Edited by Protirees
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Protirees said:

The electrical outlet (razor only) does not switch off when the overhead light is switched off--at least not in our cabin on the Island. That said, I have tried a small night light in the outlet and it doesn't work well at all, as it is not the same power. My small night light fits but flickers up and down so much that I took it out and just use a very small LED flashlight hanging from the shelf instead. Maybe others have had better luck than I have and it may depend on the type of night light ... not sure.

Thanks for responding. I always bring a small flashlight and will use it if the nightlight doesn't work. 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

You don't get them on Princess cruises out of Australia now.  As far as I know only out of UK.

• Thanks 1

@Teechur

We bring the LED tea lights with us - take virtually no room - we bring 2 for 10-14 day cruises (turn off during the day to save battery life)  Can get at Dollar Tree and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Brigle-Battery-Powered-Flameless-Decoration-Christmas/dp/B09LCHJD9S/ref=asc_df_B09LCHJD9S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563717045018&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13379667869912228886&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051981&hvtargid=pla-1659968389637&th=1

Edited by Tyskie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1