18% Gratuity

Ret MP

I just made a post in a thread about JR's Milkshakes and the Refreshment Package.  In there I stated that after our first visit to JR's for Milkshakes, that one attendant never asked for our cards again, he remembered us, I tip generously, which has nothing to do with the 18%.  Then it hit me like a rock, why would any server/attendant/cashier not ring up sales, included or not.  That's how they get their 18% gratuity, is it not?  Makes me think that their portion of the 18% may not be enough to worry about it.  I've been told many different stories about where the 18% goes, anywhere from getting it all to only a couple of % of it.  I don't know and I haven't seen any official public documents that breaks that down.  I'm only talking about the 18% that is added on to your food/beverage orders, not the prepaid gratuity.  

BTW, JR's isn't the only place that that has happened, several bars/bartenders over many cruises have done the same.  I'm thinking that the crew member involved figures that it is much more advantages to provide a much quicker service and get a generous cash tip than it is to, POSSIBLY,  get a small portion of the 18% added on tip.  I honestly don't know!

What do you think or know?

Edited by Ret MP

I don't think anyone doesn't know that they don't get the entire 18% and that it goes into a pool.   I also think that they would take every opportunity to get the 18% for the pool.  The more in the pool, the more they get.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I just made a post in a thread about JR's Milkshakes and the Refreshment Package.  In there I stated that after our first visit to JR's for Milkshakes, that one attendant never asked for our cards again, he remembered us, I tip generously, which has nothing to do with the 18%.  Then it hit me like a rock, why would any server/attendant/cashier not ring up sales, included or not.  That's how they get their 18% gratuity, is it not?  Makes me think that their portion of the 18% may not be enough to worry about it.  I've been told many different stories about where the 18% goes, anywhere from getting it all to only a couple of % of it.  I don't know and I haven't seen any official public documents that breaks that down.  I'm only talking about the 18% that is added on to your food/beverage orders, not the prepaid gratuity.  

BTW, JR's isn't the only place that that has happened, several bars/bartenders over many cruises have done the same.  I'm thinking that the crew member involved figures that it is much more advantages to provide a much quicker service and get a generous cash tip than it is to, POSSIBLY,  get a small portion of the 18% added on tip.  I honestly don't know!

Didn't you already pay the 18% when you bought the package?  I would think that money goes into the pool and there is no additional money for each drink.  I don't buy the drinking packages, so not sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't think anyone doesn't know that they don't get the entire 18% and that it goes into a pool.   I also think that they would take every opportunity to get the 18% for the pool.  The more in the pool, the more they get.

I would guess that they would work for the 18% as well, no doubt.  But, again, maybe they think they get better money providing a faster service, regardless of how much faster, and keep the "tax free" cash.  Again, I don't know.  AND, I can't say for sure what I'd do.  Tax free money or a portion of 18%???????  I just don't know.

1 minute ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Didn't you already pay the 18% when you bought the package?  I would think that money goes into the pool and there is no additional money for each drink.  I don't buy the drinking packages, so not sure.

Good point!  I didn't think of that.  In fact, I seem to remember NOW that when I did get a receipt of an item obtained with a beverage package, it was a ZERO $0.00 total.  

Disregard this post! 

Thanks for the clarity.  

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

This is what I was thinking too.  You already paid $$$$$ for the package ... and you've paid 18% of $$$$$.  So ringing up your purchase doesn't get them anything extra, but it requires a moment of extra effort.  I'd guess that if they do this "all the time", it'd show up in the missing inventory ... but if they skip ringing it up occasionally, no harm /no foul?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Are you sure they never rang up the sales?  Staff frequently remember our numbers after the first contact.

Did they remember your number or a number? The only time I bought a package a detailed $ zero dollar invoice was delivered to our cabin at the end of the cruise. I didn't bother to make sure each $ zero dollar charge was mine. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

On a “package drink” they probably get the same share of the gratuity regardless of how many drinks you order (or are rung up) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

On a “package drink” they probably get the same share of the gratuity regardless of how many drinks you order (or are rung up) 

Crew members aren't helpless orphans; they entered into an employment arrangement and are compensated per their contract.  There's no obligation of any kind to tip beyond what the cruise line already charges you. Anyone can tip more if they want to, but telling others that they "should" tip more is not their concern.

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Are you sure they never rang up the sales?  Staff frequently remember our numbers after the first contact.

I guess that's very possible.  However, there has been times where it was a first time server that didn't take my card or ask any questions, I just had it in my lanyard where the sticker was visible but the numbers or names weren't, at least at that distance and/or pace of activity. 

But, it has been established and I've said it, my OP question is not valid.  I'll move on.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

BTW, did you tell others that they "should" tip more?  If you did, I don't s see it.  I don't recall anybody saying that, do you?   

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Crew members aren't helpless orphans; they entered into an employment arrangement and are compensated per their contract.  There's no obligation of any kind to tip beyond what the cruise line already charges you. Anyone can tip more if they want to, but telling others that they "should" tip more is not their concern.

Not sure why you quoted me; none of your comment applies to my comment