Identification required to board

usajamesusa

Hey everyone,

For boarding a cruise, do you only need a valid American Drivers License for identification to go through security at the port to board the cruise?

I can't find my Canadian passport but I am a permanent Florida resident with a Florida Drivers License (not a citizen or green card holder). I just want to make sure a Florida Drivers License will be sufficient.

Thanks.

As a Canadian citizen, you would be required to have a Canadian passport, along with your permanent resident paperwork. Just a Florida driver's license is not acceptable, even for US citizens who would also need a birth certificate.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, usajamesusa said:

----

I can't find my Canadian passport but I am a permanent Florida resident with a Florida Drivers License (not a citizen or green card holder). I just want to make sure a Florida Drivers License will be sufficient.

---

Don't feel like you need to answer this question,,,

What type of United States Visa are you holding? Generally speaking, if one has a Immigrant visa, then you're considered a Legal Permanent Resident, which is the same as being a "green card holder"..

Aloha,

John     

@jcl410, I do check-in for Alaska cruises.  I don't believe the suggestion about what type of US visa a foreign national has would make any difference.

First, in the OP's situation, the type of US visa he/she has is moot because their Canadian passport is lost, so the type of visa wouldn't matter.  They still need their passport.

Allow me to give an example using an Alaskan cruise: we have had foreign nationals who have a US visa allowing them to live and work in the US (think tech workers).  Unless they have status as a US Permanent Resident (Green Card holder), they would need a Canadian visa to sail to Alaska.  If they are holding an Indian or Chinese passport that doesn't not have a Canadian visa (needed due to the port-of-call in Victoria BC), then they are denied boarding - regardless of what ever US visa they have.  There is no getting around that Canadian visa requirement.  And believe me, we have heard every argument out there.

Everyone needs documentation of citizenship to get on a cruise ship. Since the OP is not American by either birth or naturalization, there are no other avenues other than his/her Canadian passport which is lost/missing.

As I stated earlier, I hope the OP is get a replacement Canadian passport quickly.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@jcl410, I do check-in for Alaska cruises.  I don't believe the suggestion about what type of US visa a foreign national has would make any difference.

First, in the OP's situation, the type of US visa he/she has is moot because their Canadian passport is lost, so the type of visa wouldn't matter.  They still need their passport.

Allow me to give an example using an Alaskan cruise: we have had foreign nationals who have a US visa allowing them to live and work in the US (think tech workers).  Unless they have status as a US Permanent Resident (Green Card holder), they would need a Canadian visa to sail to Alaska.  If they are holding an Indian or Chinese passport that doesn't not have a Canadian visa (needed due to the port-of-call in Victoria BC), then they are denied boarding - regardless of what ever US visa they have.  There is no getting around that Canadian visa requirement.  And believe me, we have heard every argument out there.

Everyone needs documentation of citizenship to get on a cruise ship. Since the OP is not American by either birth or naturalization, there are no other avenues other than his/her Canadian passport which is lost/missing.

As I stated earlier, I hope the OP is get a replacement Canadian passport quickly.

It is always good to hear from someone with front line knowledge rather than speculation. I hope the OP is reading your post and paying attention.

• Thanks 1

Canadians with proof of Florida residence (rent/own and a maximum stay of six months) can obtain a Florida Drivers License and/or Resident Card.  This is not the same as a visa and does not give them permanent resident status.  The OP would have required their Canadian passport or birth/naturalization certificate to obtain the FL drivers license.

Hope you find your passport, @usajamesusa, because you won’t be cruising without it.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The rules for Canadians visiting the US are different than for other countries. A Canadian may stay in the US for a designated amount of time each year without a visa or without a green card. I am not sure exactly what the rules are, just that they are different.

OP, as has been said you will need your passport so I hope there is enough time before you sail to get another one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The rules for Canadians visiting the US are different than for other countries. A Canadian may stay in the US for a designated amount of time each year without a visa or without a green card. I am not sure exactly what the rules are, just that they are different.

OP, as has been said you will need your passport so I hope there is enough time before you sail to get another one.

Exactly -- the rule for closed loop cruises allowing sailing with other than a passport applies to U S citizens - who can sail with birth certificate (whose US issuance is taken to prove citizenship) and acceptable ID.  

• Like 1

I won't postulate whether the OP is using the "clock reset" (exit/re-entry) means to extend over the 6 month time limit, but if they do have an address in Canada, and it is in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, or British Columbia, they can get a Canadian Enhanced Driver's License, that would work just like a US one would.  They can also use a NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST trusted traveler document, as these are WHTI acceptable documents for entry to US.  Now, what the other countries on the itinerary require for a Canadian citizen is a different story, but nearly every country in the Caribbean is party to WHTI.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

Can a US Citizen take an Alaskan cruise that will end up in Vancouver with just a US/Michigan drivers license or is a Passport mandatory?

Thanks

If you board in the US and debark in Vancouver you would need an EDL (which Michigan issues), a passport card or a passport, unless the cruise line requires the passport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzfiend said:

Can a US Citizen take an Alaskan cruise that will end up in Vancouver with just a US/Michigan drivers license or is a Passport mandatory?

Thanks

CBSA - Visitors to Canada

If you’re going to use a driver’s license you must also bring your birth certificate or certificate of citizenship/naturalization.

8369C59A-6CE8-4340-828C-D580CA80C952.thumb.jpeg.2bb32a9cb164ce905e30bea45728d75f.jpeg

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If you board in the US and debark in Vancouver you would need an EDL (which Michigan issues), a passport card or a passport, unless the cruise line requires the passport. 

Just questioning for clarification if I may.

EDL is only good for "Driving" across the border, right? Since this passenger is returning by vessel, wouldn't this US Citizen passenger be required a passport card at a minimum if driving back to Michigan or a Passport book if flying back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruzfiend said:

Thanks

Hopefully the Michigan cruiser knows whether he/she driver's license is an Enhanced Driver's License.  Just a reminder that flying out of Canada to the US is an international flight and a passport is needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Since this passenger is returning by vessel, wouldn't this US Citizen passenger be required a passport card at a minimum if driving back to Michigan

The Enhanced Driver's License holders have been vetted for proof of US (and Canadian) citizenship, so that EDL would be accepted crossing the land border. 

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hopefully the Michigan cruiser knows whether he/she driver's license is an Enhanced Driver's License.  Just a reminder that flying out of Canada to the US is an international flight and a passport is needed.

Yes...... hopefully they know that a Real ID drivers licence and an Enhanced Drivers License are not the same thing and that neither can be used to fly back from Vancouver to Michigan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The Enhanced Driver's License holders have been vetted for proof of US (and Canadian) citizenship, so that EDL would be accepted crossing the land border. 

The bolded portion of your answer is what I'm asking for clarification on. 

Me crossing at Blaine, I could cross with my Washington State EDL.

Can a person with an EDL cross the border by Ferry or on Amtrak? 

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

You can cross the border with an EDL on  Amtrak. That info is on their website. I would check the ferry company website but they probably have the same requirements. 

https://www.amtrak.com/crossing-the-us-canadian-border

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

The bolded portion of your answer is what I'm asking for clarification on. 

Me crossing at Blaine, I could cross with my Washington State EDL.

Yes, the Enhanced DL works on both.  Like you, I also have a WA EDL which I have used on Amtrak traveling up to Vancouver.

I work at Pier 91 in Seattle doing check-in. Every cruise we have passengers traveling with just their Enhanced Driver's License - it's not uncommon to see.  We scan or swipe the EDL which has a readable bar code on the back. . 

I have also had my share of passengers believing that their Real ID Driver's License  could be used as travel ID - and arguing why they believe they could use it to travel on a cruise ship.  Luckily, those  individuals are given the opportunity to try to get a copy of their US birth certificate electronically sent to the pier, where we printed it out and they can board and enjoy their cruise.

• Like 2