Talk to me about shoes (sneakers vs sandals)

pookel

So, I'm bringing 3-4 cute dresses and (to make packing easier) my outfits are mostly coordinated in black and white - no jeans/sweats. (Everything is comfy, it's just not like gym/casual type clothes.) For background, I'm overweight and have flat feet and get severe foot pain if I overextend myself or wear the wrong shoes.

My shoe options are - 

- cute black sandals that are fine for a couple hours but I can't walk all day in them.

- an older/not as nice pair of white sandals that I can walk for most of the day in, but after a long day of walking my feet might start to hurt.

- black velvet Converse-style sneakers that I can walk most of the day in, but might get shin splits after a long day of walking

- a gray pair of Brooks running shoes that I can absolutely walk all day in, but will look kind of dorky with most of my clothes

- new white Keds which are fine but untested for long days of walking, also slightly dorky

What would you do? Bring them all and figure it out on the ship? Or recommendations for which of these would work better?

One other option is I could go out and buy the same running shoes but in black (they're in stock in my size at a local store, I checked - and these shoes worked great for me on day 1 so I'm not too worried about breaking them in). But, it's still running shoes so still kind of dorky with a dress. Thoughts?

ETA my cruise leaves on Monday

Edited by pookel

Dorky shoes - comfort wins all the time.  I thought wearking  sneakers with dresses was odd for years - but when I really looked I noticed that everyone under 30 does just that  - so I do now!  Maybe brink the cute black sandals for evenings for a few hours ? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pookel said:

I'm overweight and have flat feet and get severe foot pain if I overextend myself or wear the wrong shoes.

I'm zeroing in on the term "overextend myself".  Do you have Plantar Fasciitis?  I ask because it's super common, especially if you're over 40 or so, and I can soooo relate to the words "overextend" and "wrong shoes".  

Even if you don't have PF, consider a trip to the Orthopedist.  About 10 years ago -- no, more like 15 or more -- I started having some painful foot problems, and I went to the Orthopedist.  With his help, I learned how to deal with the problems, and -- as long as I follow the rules -- I have zero foot problems. 

My must-dos: 

- The Orthopedist made me a set of custom inserts, which fit in tennis shoes, loafers and some dress shoes.  I cannot emphasize the difference these inserts made when I was actively having trouble.  I had tried every drugstore insert on the market -- nope.  The custom inserts are exactly right, and they only cost one $90 office co-pay (I've been wearing them at least a decade, and they're still in great shape).  

- Through trial-and-error, I have developed a set of rules for my shoes -- and I had to give away a ton of really nice shoes; my daughters wear the same size as me, and my loss was their gain.  Anyway, my shoes must have a good arch support and at least a bit of heel.  Sandals must have a more substantial strap closer to the ankle than the toes.  My shoes don't have to be expensive; for example, Sketchers, Tevas and Chacos work great for me -- but my rules are 100% written in stone.  

Anyway, my main point is, go get some professional help with your feet.  

6 hours ago, pookel said:

Thoughts?

Okay, so you're leaving soon -- but do take my advice and visit the Orthopedist upon your return.  You won't be sorry. 

1.  But for the meantime, I'd go buy the running shoes.  Nothing else is going to be as comfortable, and you don't want achy feet on the cruise.  OR bring the black velvet Converse, which you already have -- but if these give you shin splints after a while, the running shoes may do the same.  I'd bring just one pair in this category, and I'd definitely wear them on island stops.  

2.  Also bring the cute black sandals.  Since they're only good for a short time, save them for dinner.  

3.  Finally, bring the old white sandals for the pool.  

These three pairs should cover your cruise needs.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm zeroing in on the term "overextend myself".  Do you have Plantar Fasciitis?  I ask because it's super common, especially if you're over 40 or so, and I can soooo relate to the words "overextend" and "wrong shoes".  

Even if you don't have PF, consider a trip to the Orthopedist.  About 10 years ago -- no, more like 15 or more -- I started having some painful foot problems, and I went to the Orthopedist.  With his help, I learned how to deal with the problems, and -- as long as I follow the rules -- I have zero foot problems. 

Thank you!! As far as I know, I don't have plantar fascitis, but I am 45 and I do have extreme flat feet and overpronation, and I'm prone to shin splints if I walk too much in a single day. So you're right, I should visit an orthopedist. My usual practice is just to wear nothing but Clarks, Brooks, and a couple other brands I trust with good arch support (it's also hard to find brands as I wear a 9.5 wide, and the wide width is not optional!). But custom inserts do sound like a good idea instead of limiting myself to a couple of brands.

Agree 100% with the other posters.  Comfort tops everything, so that you can truly enjoy your excursions and your time on the ship.  I'd bring the grey Brooks running shoes, since you know they're comfortable after many hours.  If your clothes are mostly black and white, grey will look just fine.  You could throw in the white Keds, as well; if they have a platform of any type, or extra cushioning, they could be fine for shorter excursions or around the ship with the dress, for example.  And then the black sandals for evening now and then.  

If you look around the ship and the ports, I'm guessing you'll see a lot of women who have some version of a running shoe on.  No one will think:  "Look at that dorky woman!"   They'll think:  "Look at that smart woman who has on the right footwear!"

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pookel said:

Thank you!! As far as I know, I don't have plantar fascitis, but I am 45 and I do have extreme flat feet and overpronation, and I'm prone to shin splints if I walk too much in a single day. So you're right, I should visit an orthopedist. My usual practice is just to wear nothing but Clarks, Brooks, and a couple other brands I trust with good arch support (it's also hard to find brands as I wear a 9.5 wide, and the wide width is not optional!). But custom inserts do sound like a good idea instead of limiting myself to a couple of brands.

Well, you know how when you personally have something, you think everyone else has it too?  That's why I said Plantar Fasciitis, but seeing a professional -- someone who will consider all the possibilities -- can only be helpful.  

Other thoughts: 

- The Ortho gave me a cortizone shot in each instep -- WOW, DID THAT HURT -- but it really helped me get over the inflamation of my Plantar Fasciitis.  I never needed another one (because he taught me to avoid inflamation).  

- Know that my custom inserts took about 5 weeks to come back.  

- The Ortho told me that many people take time to adjust to them /want to wear them only a couple hours a day until they adjust.  Not me:  mine felt perfect from the first moment.  I went out that afternoon and photographed a big sporting event.  No problems.  

Good luck to you. 

• Like 2

I would wear the running shoes too. I am 50 years old and have a foot with a mind of its own. My right foot has had multiple surgeries and been sprained more times then I can count. Here are the shoe rules I live by: is the shoe comfortable out of the box? Does it provide any support? How long can I wear this shoe without pain? I wear a lot of Birkenstocks, Nike and Born shoes. They just work for me. I wear all these shoes with dresses and skirts.Don’t feel alone with painful feet 🦶 😁

Edited by bluetardis
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, pookel said:

it's also hard to find brands as I wear a 9.5 wide, and the wide width is not optional!

Check out the brand Hoka One One.  They are podiatrist recommended, orthotic friendly, and almost every model shoe they sell comes in wide width (i think you have to buy ww online though). The Bondi's they sell with some good insoles/orthotics are heaven

20 hours ago, bluetardis said:

... I wear all these shoes with dresses and skirts ... 

If you're not sure about wearing the running shoes, consider maxi skirts.  

Personally, I just retired from three decades of teaching -- which meant standing on hard tile floors all day -- and I wore little white Keds with Lands End knit dresses + a cardigan probably three days a week.  Worked great.  

• Like 1

Hi, sounds like your Brooks are your most comfortable for the walking. And for evenings, if the sandals work for the shorter period of time? I would wear them with that attire, but I do agree with all the gals about comfort. Comfort is the key😀

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 3:51 PM, pookel said:

I also have had plantar fasciitis. I have had success with Brooks athletic shoes, Teva sandals, and Clark’s. The brand that has really saved my feet though are Munro’s. They have 5 widths, slim, narrow, medium, wide and extra-wide. Their retail price is high, $200-$250, but I am lucky to live near the factory in Hot Springs, Arkansas where I can get them for $60-$70. Take care of your feet! If they are hurting, you won’t have a good time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 11:16 PM, jackiel3290 said:

...Take care of your feet! If they are hurting, you won’t have a good time. 

Beyond having a good time on a cruise, my RN daughter says you MUST take care of your feet and ankles ... because if they go, your knees won't be far behind ... and if your knees fail, your hips will follow.  And mobility, once lost, is quite difficult to regain.  It's easier /more efficient to maintain rather than rebuild.  

• Like 2