Cabin changed by P&O - seeking advice

Rhuaridh

Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice. My partner and I had booked an aft suite on arvia. It's a special trip for a milestone birthday and our first time in a suite.

However, our travel agent has now told us that, per P&O, our booked suite isn't available for "operational" reasons and we've been offered a forward suite, with a significantly smaller balcony, or the accessible aft suite, which is quite a downgrade in terms of the quality of the room and the lack of certain amenities.

P&O has also offered £50 per person in onboard credit for the change. Does this sound reasonable? Or should we ask for a little more? We're really not sure and any advice would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Rhuaridh said:

Hi all,

I'm seeking some advice. My partner and I had booked an aft suite on arvia. It's a special trip for a milestone birthday and our first time in a suite.

However, our travel agent has now told us that, per P&O, our booked suite isn't available for "operational" reasons and we've been offered a forward suite, with a significantly smaller balcony, or the accessible aft suite, which is quite a downgrade in terms of the quality of the room and the lack of certain amenities.

P&O has also offered £50 per person in onboard credit for the change. Does this sound reasonable? Or should we ask for a little more? We're really not sure and any advice would be appreciated.

When are you cruising please?  The only operational reasons in recent times that involved cabin changes were due to isolation requirements and we were led to believe they were no longer happening.  Could you provide suite details so a comparison can be made?

If the "operational" reasons is for something other than quarantine does your travel agent have any further details?

Hello a similar thing happened to us, however they downgraded us to a deluxe balcony cabin.  They gave the option of accept the downgrade or cancel for a full refund.  Our challenge was we were a family of 4 and needed the extra room a suite gave us.  We managed to get a deluxe balcony cabin and inside cabin for the kids.. cost more than a suite!!!! But with 2 weeks notice it’s all we could do.  P&O did not want to cut a deal!!!  Had £100 OBC as compensation.

Edited by Fozzie100
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fozzie100 said:

Hello a similar thing happened to us, however they downgraded us to a deluxe balcony cabin.  They gave the option of accept the downgrade or cancel for a full refund.  Our challenge was we were a family of 4 and needed the extra room a suite gave us.  We managed to get a deluxe balcony cabin and inside cabin for the kids.. cost more than a suite!!!! But with 2 weeks notice it’s all we could do.  P&O did not want to cut a deal!!!  Had £100 OBC as compensation.

I assume it was for quarantine?  I'm finding the OPs problem strange as it was stated by our P&O mole last week that there were no longer quarantine cabins and isolation takes place in your own cabin.  

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I assume it was for quarantine?  I'm finding the OPs problem strange as it was stated by our P&O mole last week that there were no longer quarantine cabins and isolation takes place in your own cabin.  

We were given no further details beyond the "operational" reason, but we don't cruise until March.

We booked a B5 aft suite. We can apparently choose between the B4 accessible suite or a B6 forward suite. P&O consider it a minor change as they're the same class of cabin, but both have significant compromises compared with the booked suite.

2 hours ago, Well boy 91 said:

Could it be round about the time of the naming ceremony ?   Maybe your being evicted to enable a so called VIP to take your suite. Very poor if this is the case. 

Naming ceremony is 16 March 2023 so this could well be the case. We also have and aft suite booked on Arvia for September, I hope they are not going to start playing silly devils and messing with special occasions!

Edited by Rupert2251

5 hours ago, Rhuaridh said:

We were given no further details beyond the "operational" reason, but we don't cruise until March.

We booked a B5 aft suite. We can apparently choose between the B4 accessible suite or a B6 forward suite. P&O consider it a minor change as they're the same class of cabin, but both have significant compromises compared with the booked suite.

There are two differences between the B4 accessible suite and a standard B4 suite. The first is the bathroom whereby there is no spa tub, and the toilet is in the bathroom rather than separate. You get a bigger shower than standard suites. The second is the vanity table is moved to the living room area, this necessitates a change to the coffee station but all items remain.

You actually get more wardrobe storage in this suite. There is a couple of videos on youTube which show Iona's cabin 10739 in good detail.

I don't know why the op is being moved but don't believe its covid related. The B5 aft suites are under the infinity pool or above the clubhouse. It may be that there is some work planned that is likely to cause disruption to the suite. If it is the naming cruise and they are moving you for a perceived VIP then I hold my head in dismay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Could be worth reading the ABTA code of conduct and it's guidance if you have been moved to a lower category cabin, since you may be entitled to your money back and compensation.

would consider the front of the ship inferior to the back, without any differences in the cabin, so may still be worth arguing that if it is the same grade, but would be more difficult to succeed in that.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I don't know why the op is being moved but don't believe its covid related. The B5 aft suites are under the infinity pool or above the clubhouse. It may be that there is some work planned that is likely to cause disruption to the suite. If it is the naming cruise and they are moving you for a perceived VIP then I hold my head in dismay.

What I don't understand is why can't P&O just be open and honest? If there is work planned fair enough, you wouldn't want to be disturbed by any of that. But to use "operational reasons" as an excuse is not good enough, just tell the OP why!!

• Like 9

Were there not problems with the infinity pools contents splashing into the aft suites or was it just aft balconies?

I know I read something on this forum a while back, but I might be doing a H with my recollections!!

Molly

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sagaris said:

Were there not problems with the infinity pools contents splashing into the aft suites or was it just aft balconies?

I know I read something on this forum a while back, but I might be doing a H with my recollections!!

Molly

Yes but they were for the middle balcony cabins.  The suites were apparently unaffected. I would guess if it was to do with that every rear cabin would be closed off, although I'm sure Moley can say.

Conversely if you are doing major adjustment to the ship you surely wouldn't do it in the very week your having a special event on-board - it apparently lasts a week according to the blurb - and obviously you'd want the ship as near damn perfect as you can get beforehand, particularly with all the previous bad publicity.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Well boy 91 said:

Could it be round about the time of the naming ceremony ?   Maybe your being evicted to enable a so called VIP to take your suite. Very poor if this is the case. 

We disembark on the 11th, but we did have a similar thought after spotting the date of the ceremony. We really hope this isn't the reason.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

There are two differences between the B4 accessible suite and a standard B4 suite. The first is the bathroom whereby there is no spa tub, and the toilet is in the bathroom rather than separate. You get a bigger shower than standard suites. The second is the vanity table is moved to the living room area, this necessitates a change to the coffee station but all items remain.

You actually get more wardrobe storage in this suite. There is a couple of videos on youTube which show Iona's cabin 10739 in good detail.

Ha, we actually watched one of those video reviews while on the phone with our TA at the time of booking.

We'd discounted the accessible as the room seemed less "special", despite the extra space. It's something of a once in a lifetime holiday, so we wanted to have the best experience possible.

Edited by Rhuaridh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

What I don't understand is why can't P&O just be open and honest? If there is work planned fair enough, you wouldn't want to be disturbed by any of that. But to use "operational reasons" as an excuse is not good enough, just tell the OP why!!

We're going to ask our TA if they can push for a more detailed answer. It's really frustrating being given such a vague response.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rhuaridh said:

We're going to ask our TA if they can push for a more detailed answer. It's really frustrating being given such a vague response.

Please let us know how you get on with your TA. My hubby was in the trade for 40 plus years before he retired, it is their responsibility to communicate with P&O on your behalf, if they can't or won't do they have a Head Office?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rhuaridh said:

Hi all,

What a real shame. I would be very annoyed moving from aft to fwd - I know, 1st world problems and all that!

I think £50 is a very pitiful, tight gesture on their part but I doubt P&O would bother budging….worth asking though.  We’ve sailed on Iona in both fwd and aft suites (and Britannia ships in aft and mid suites - but never an accessible aft suite though) and for us the aft suites are BY FAR the better ones because the balcony is much larger and wider, more useable on a windy sea day…a proper spacious outside space than in the fwd ones which are long but narrow and somewhat cramped.

However, if you are not that fussed about this balcony downgrade, it is still a good size balcony and the suite inside is really lovely and is pretty much the same. And the suite experience, while apparently not as great as other cruise lines, is wonderful and makes a cruise much more special. So even in a fwd suite, it will still be a very special holiday and I am sure you will have a wonderful birthday celebration.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Please let us know how you get on with your TA. My hubby was in the trade for 40 plus years before he retired, it is their responsibility to communicate with P&O on your behalf, if they can't or won't do they have a Head Office?

To our TA's credit, they've been really understanding. They're contacting P&O on Monday so we'll hopefully learn more then.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Whatever you decide to do, you could casually walk past the original suite during your cruise and try to find out if it’s occupied! 

I wouldn't casually walk past I would knock on the door until I got an answer and if it was a VIP I would be straight down to reception. I know we don't know the real reason but hopefully Rhuaridh will find out more on Monday. But if assumptions are correct and have been moved to facilitate VIP i.e

could be a star performer or Paul Ludlow or higher part of Carnival  senior management it wouldn't surprise me in the least considering how P&O treat their customers so poorly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The Iona (and I assume Arvia) come with a unique layout for the suite balcony furniture which doesn't tend to aid enjoyment of the space.  In this example, the weather was forecast to be force 8/9 in about 24 hrs time.  On arrival, the balcony facilities included a couple of hooks and some rope discreetly placed in the corner, it became apparent what they were for later in our cruise.  

We lost the use of the balcony furniture for just under a quarter of the cruise, the furniture was thoughtfully put back out on the final evening prior to arrival in Southampton.

Needless to say, we won't be paying for an aft suite on either ship again.

image.thumb.jpeg.587ab943ab4afb41fe67dadcc3eeb3da.jpeg

2 hours ago, crompton21 said:

The Iona (and I assume Arvia) come with a unique layout for the suite balcony furniture which doesn't tend to aid enjoyment of the space.  In this example, the weather was forecast to be force 8/9 in about 24 hrs time.  On arrival, the balcony facilities included a couple of hooks and some rope discreetly placed in the corner, it became apparent what they were for later in our cruise.  

We lost the use of the balcony furniture for just under a quarter of the cruise, the furniture was thoughtfully put back out on the final evening prior to arrival in Southampton.

Needless to say, we won't be paying for an aft suite on either ship again.

image.thumb.jpeg.587ab943ab4afb41fe67dadcc3eeb3da.jpeg

Not at all good.  It is understandable if the seas are rough or a short time before that is forecast as would be better than having a sun bed blowing into and possibly through the patio doors, but no excuse to have them tied up if not needed. 

Must admit DH would have untied them or been making lots of noises, insisting they were untied.  Many is the time he has untied sunbeds on deck so we could get a couple to use, though only in good weather of course.

• Like 4

On 1/13/2023 at 10:13 PM, Rhuaridh said:

Hi all,

I’m so sorry to hear about this. We had been assured that all this nonsense of unacceptable cabin changes had come to an end, but clearly it hasn’t. The term “operational reasons” is the stock excuse used by P&O for anything and everything and does nothing but irritate people, most of whom would prefer honesty. The compensation offered is a joke. As many of us know, you will be able to get considerably more, but it is a battle, takes ages and involves you having to sign a non-disclosure agreement. 

I have used NDA’s myself when dealing with company takeovers or very senior hiring or firings, but never for a customer complaint! It’s just completely over the top in such situations, but it’s how they operate. I’ve had 3 of them during our 25+ years with P&O, one for a four figure sum (ironically for problems with an aft suite), but in all cases I would rather have received no compensation whatsoever and had a hassle free cruise.

As an aside, I’m staggered that they have offered you the one and only accessible suite. The higher level accessible cabins usually sell out very quickly. We tried to book a late cheap cruise on Iona for the end of this month and there’s not a single accessible cabin available on the ship. Oddly, they thought that the one accessible suite (aft) was available, but then said that they couldn’t sell it to us. I wonder if it’s for the same reason as yours I.e. they are going to move another suite passenger into it?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I have used NDA’s myself when dealing with company takeovers or very senior hiring or firings, but never for a customer complaint! It’s just completely over the top in such situations, but it’s how they operate. I’ve had 3 of them during our 25+ years with P&O, one for a four figure sum (ironically for problems with an aft suite), but in all cases I would rather have received no compensation whatsoever and had a hassle free cruise.

Time that an investigation into the excessive use of NDAs is conducted, I see no reason why NDAs should be being used where consumer law is concerned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I’m so sorry to hear about this. We had been assured that all this nonsense of unacceptable cabin changes had come to an end, but clearly it hasn’t. The term “operational reasons” is the stock excuse used by P&O for anything and everything and does nothing but irritate people, most of whom would prefer honesty. The compensation offered is a joke. As many of us know, you will be able to get considerably more, but it is a battle, takes ages and involves you having to sign a non-disclosure agreement. 

As an aside, I’m staggered that they have offered you the one and only accessible suite. The higher level accessible cabins usually sell out very quickly. We tried to book a late cheap cruise on Iona for the end of this month and there’s not a single accessible cabin available on the ship. Oddly, they thought that the one accessible suite (aft) was available, but then said that they couldn’t sell it to us. I wonder if it’s for the same reason as yours I.e. they are going to move another suite passenger into it?

We were similarly surprised to be offered the accessible suite. We're also wondering, if we choose that, whether there's a risk of being bumped again in case someone actually requires an accessible room.

I'm not sure how much you're able to say, but could you possibly give any insight into the best step to take if our TA doesn't get a sufficient response from P&O? We're still waiting to hear back.