No more prime rib?

kevin1551

10 minutes ago, OysterD said:

I've read on here over the last few weeks constant complaining and moaning about room service charges, what cut of steak is served, increased drink prices, reduced service in the buffet in evenings, how evil tilapia is.... but does anyone have any better suggestions as to what Celebrity (& other cruise lines) can do because they absolutely have to do something. Genuinely curious.

It's not so much that the changes are being made, but rather how they're being made. Making all these changes at once with absolutely no advance notice--or no announcement at all--is a bad approach. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It's still Carnival...

We always had excellent service, a clean cabin  and great food on Carnival.  Never had any complaints.  We are not loyal to any one cruise line. We have a Royal Caribbean credit card so we can also use our points on Celebrity.  Same Tshirt, different cruise line is how I feel.  If the price is right and the value exists, all aboard!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Some Useful Tilapia Information.  

Bon appetite!

Reports of farming practices are concerning

As consumer demand for tilapia continues to grow, tilapia farming offers a cost-effective method of producing a relatively inexpensive product for the consumer.

However, several reports over the past decade have revealed some concerning details about tilapia farming practices, especially from farms located in China.

Tilapia are often fed animal feces

One report from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revealed that it is common for fish farmed in China to be fed feces from livestock animals (11).

Although this practice drives down production costs, bacteria like Salmonella found in animal waste can contaminate the water and increase the risk of foodborne diseases.

Using animal feces as feed wasn’t directly associated with any specific fish in the report. However, around 73% of the tilapia imported to the United States comes from China, where this practice is particularly common (12).”

This is why I do not ever eat Tilapia, and why I will not eat farm raised shrimp, especially if they are from Indonesia. Most farm raised shrimp comes from Indonesia and there have been reports many of the shrimp farms feed them with human and animal excrement. China supplies most of the frozen Tilapia sold in the world but here in the US much of the fresh Tilapia sold in markets comes from Costa Rica and is farmed safer, but I still won't eat it.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We always had excellent service, a clean cabin  and great food on Carnival.  Never had any complaints.  We are not loyal to any one cruise line. We have a Royal Caribbean credit card so we can also use our points on Celebrity.  Same Tshirt, different cruise line is how I feel.  If the price is right and the value exists, all aboard!

I hear you on not being loyal to one line.  I'm not either but there are just a few I'd consider, Carnival is no longer one of those. 

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I hear you on not being loyal to one line.  I'm not either but there are just a few I'd consider, Carnival is no longer one of those. 

Carnival, NCL and Royal have been off our lists for many years. HAL went off our list last year after the Covid experience we had on the Oosterdam. Our list is now Celebrity, Oceania and Viking Ocean.

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  So I started looking at a Carnival MDR menu.

They do have filets and higher end cuts,  but they do charge $20 for them.

I figure once X completes their reduction,  they will do the same and charge $20 for what used to be on the menu.

Their MDR is nothing to write home about, ChiBang and their Italian restaurant, which is only on newer ships is free and good.  We only hit the MDR on lobster night 

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Carnival, NCL and Royal have been off our lists for many years. HAL went off our list last year after the Covid experience we had on the Oosterdam. Our list is now Celebrity, Oceania and Viking Ocean.

Carnival was removed from my list in 2001, my first and only time, nuff said.  Celebrity (current pricing gives me pause) but I love the product, Oceania (1st time will be May) I have high expectations and I am looking at Azamara as well.

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Carnival was removed from my list in 2001, my first and only time, nuff said.  Celebrity (current pricing gives me pause) but I love the product, Oceania (1st time will be May) I have high expectations and I am looking at Azamara as well.

The big question is:  How will I ever collect my free AI drink?

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Carnival is not the same line it was in 2001. They've changed, especially with their newer ships and the 7-day or longer itineraries. Your experience made you decide to swear off Carnival forever, and that's fine, but that experience was over two decades ago and is no longer representative of what they offer today.

Also, it's not even remotely fair to place an Azamara or Oceania level of expectation on Carnival. That's not what Carnival is, and many, many cruisers are very happy about that. I'm hoping Celebrity is a step up just because I'm looking for a less active and more peaceful cruise this time, but I will still happily cruise Carnival because it's a good product at a good value.

• Like 3

Just an FYI, none of X's sauces have been wheat-based for at least 5 years.  I have celiac (20 yrs next month) and haven't had a problem for over a decade, i.e., merely order turkey sans stuffing.  I frequently don't need preorder the night before, but they always ask me anyway.  My issue is I'm disgusted with MDR menu choices.  Tilapia night after night?  Really?  I'm going to wait until after my upcoming Summit cruises next month before I decide whether to jettison X altogether.  I receive a lot of things from them gratis, although I paid dearly for a long time to get them.  If the food goes south, though, I'm outta there.  BTW, in the OVC, the chicken fajitas, assuming they still have those, and a salad made a decent evening meal with everything except the flour tortillas.  The OVC GF pasta and bolognaise sauce have been a go-to for me on the nights when they served stuff in MDR that I didn't like.  May be a lotta pasta on my plate next month.

I suppose they'd confiscate it if I brought a small microwave aboard and shelf-stable nuke food.  🙄

Guest 4-2-N-8

IMO, if you are going for luxury, Regent is a better option than Oceania. Again, my opinion, but since everyone is chiming in about where to find "luxury," thought I'd chime in with another angle. If not that, private charters can be cost effective, dependent upon yacht choice and pax number in your charter. Again, just an alternative option for those determined to find consistent quality. It still exists.

For me, I am trying a big ship in the likes of the Retreat offering, though will/would only choose the Retreat on the newest of Celebrity ship(s). I like the design of the ships and want to experience it firsthand.

I'll give grace to those who staff and crew the ship. Supply issues are still a thing, as well. We're all in this together. 

I think the gripes about Celebrity service/quality/options, while they may very well represent change from historical norm, maybe it would help to consider through the prism that everyone is trying to solve for our new normal.

Want more consistent quality? It's out there. Just pay for it. Don't gripe about it. Sheesh.

I'll soon be on my first trial for Celebrity. I'm open to simply experience what is offered. I'm hopeful that it renders IRL as depicted by Celebrity and as my TA has advised me.

Reserving judgment to future tense.

Much peace to all.

4 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Carnival is not the same line it was in 2001. They've changed, especially with their newer ships and the 7-day or longer itineraries. Your experience made you decide to swear off Carnival forever, and that's fine, but that experience was over two decades ago and is no longer representative of what they offer today.

Also, it's not even remotely fair to place an Azamara or Oceania level of expectation on Carnival. That's not what Carnival is, and many, many cruisers are very happy about that. I'm hoping Celebrity is a step up just because I'm looking for a less active and more peaceful cruise this time, but I will still happily cruise Carnival because it's a good product at a good value.

I can honestly appreciate your point, but my point is that it's my money and I don't have to be fair in how I decide to spend it.  

• Like 1

So I have not read through all of these posts but from what I did read it appears the discussion has morphed from Prime Rib to the virtues or lack there of about Tilapia and every other cruise line except Celebrity.

What I can tell you that we were on Eden last week and Prime Rib was on the menu one night and I enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

So I have not read through all of these posts but from what I did read it appears the discussion has morphed from Prime Rib to the virtues or lack there of about Tilapia and every other cruise line except Celebrity.

What I can tell you that we were on Eden last week and Prime Rib was on the menu one night and I enjoyed it. 

There is a wide discussion of topics and other cruise line comparisons because there has been a wide variety of changes with Celebrity’s product in the last few weeks.  Things are changing by the day it seems.  According to some cruisers cruising this week there is no Prime Rib so that may be yet another recent change.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Eden is a specialty restaurant not to be confused with the MDR. The discussion here has been that the prime rib and other better entrees like rack of lamb are no longer available in the MDR. Sure, the specialty restaurants may have prime rib and rack of lamb as they should since you pay a very premium price to dine there. Tuscan Grill has had rack of lamb in the past but for a cover charge over $50pp plus tips, rivals what it can be bought in a better fine dining land restaurant. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Where are you going on Azamara?

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I can honestly appreciate your point, but my point is that it's my money and I don't have to be fair in how I decide to spend it.  

No, and I truly wasn't trying to say you should be fair about how you spend your money. You absolutely don't. You earned it and should enjoy it on whatever makes you happy.

I had a really bad experience on Royal years ago and haven't sailed on them since, but it was a long time ago and probably isn't reflective of Royal today, so I don't tend to make comments about them. But that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

Ok, back to the topic at hand...it looks like the Celebrity app is still showing the kids 4 oz. filet for my cruise on the 22nd, so maybe they'll still have it! 🤞

• Thanks 1