No more prime rib?

kevin1551

Question is how should Celebrity handle the increase in Food Cost overall....raise rates etc.  HonestlyI get sirloin at my favorite farm, I buy from the the farmer, not stores and it has been way better than any filet I have had.  I been to the top steakhouses in the U.S. etc so go at me on it if you want.  I have the chef, grad from Hyde Park background overall, but ended up in mgmt.  People get blinded and thinking filet mignon etc is the best, makes them feel better overall, ie luxury.   It's all perception in my opinion.  For example I have done wine tastings with friends who are tru sommeliers, there have been many people who picked the 15 bottle of wine vs the 200 bottle.  Blind test,  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

HonestlyI get sirloin at my favorite farm, I buy from the the farmer, not stores and it has been way better than any filet I have had.  I been to the top steakhouses in the U.S. etc so go at me on it if you want.  I have the chef, grad from Hyde Park background overall, but ended up in mgmt.  

I always find sirloin to be tough...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Question is how should Celebrity handle the increase in Food Cost overall....raise rates etc.  HonestlyI get sirloin at my favorite farm, I buy from the the farmer, not stores and it has been way better than any filet I have had.  I been to the top steakhouses in the U.S. etc so go at me on it if you want.  I have the chef, grad from Hyde Park background overall, but ended up in mgmt.  People get blinded and thinking filet mignon etc is the best, makes them feel better overall, ie luxury.   It's all perception in my opinion.  For example I have done wine tastings with friends who are tru sommeliers, there have been many people who picked the 15 bottle of wine vs the 200 bottle.  Blind test,  

Have you tried a filet from your favorite farm?  The filet is indeed the most tender cut of beef which is why its the most expensive cut of beef

With wine, you should read about the study where tricked wine experts by dying white wines red and had them describe their "red" wines https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I have to imagine the wastage of Tilapia is very high; most people don't want/won't eat that fish 

I'm sure there must be at least 1 dish were it tastes "ok", but I haven't found it. 🤣🤪

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The filet is indeed the most tender cut of beef which is why its the most expensive cut of beef

But it also has no taste by itself. It's only as good as the sauce it's served with. I'll take a ribeye over a filet any day.

Edited by mahasamatman
  • Like 13

45 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

If the costs of food goes up they need to raise the price of the cruise not cut the quantity of the food people expect when booking.  

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

But it also has no taste by itself. It's only as good as the sauce it's served with. I'll take a ribeye over a filet any day.

Food is highly subjective and folks should eat what they like the most.  While a ribeye will have the beefiest flavor of any steak, tenderloin has it's own milder beefy flavor

image.thumb.png.44e0b217c4ccd9ab0c96254c1a2a98a2.png

46 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

Except the rib eye at Tuscan.  
My father was a butcher back when the grocery actually got delivered sides of beef.

The best cut according to him was a rib eye that was turning black, most wouldn’t buy them because they thought a steak should be red.  We grew up eating some amazing steaks.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Except the rib eye at Tuscan.  
My father was a butcher back when the grocery actually got delivered sides of beef.

The best cut according to him was a rib eye that was turning black, most wouldn’t buy them because they thought a steak should be red.  We grew up eating some amazing steaks.

Great story Jelayne!

Things have changed in the last 3 years for sure.  Friday I went to 2 Mobil stations, an Exxon and a club gas station, no gas,  Finally a no name station had fuel.  Food costs have skyrocketed and good luck finding all you want.  Perhaps this explains some of the cutbacks.on cruise ships.

i liked the Prime Rib abd looked forward to it more than the lobster even when it was served and taken out of the shell tableside....A large  nice cut of Prime Rib  was always served... We have also enjoyed Beef Wellington and good quality steak  as a treat.  We limit beef intake  for the most part.....

I mostly prefer fish if well prepared.  but never Tilapia.. folks can google pros and cons.  Most expensive fish lately is scallops..  Our favorite is Flounder stuffed with crab meat and I enjoy salmon if fresh caught.

some of the menus are not looking impressive..  no veal, no pork ???

dining planners & chefs will need to be more creative!  maybe offer an International dish each night..Indian,  Greek , Spanish..Italisn ( not just pasta)

we won't starve  but  not sure we will rave about X cuisine...

• Like 6

Aloha. Sad about the prime rib situation. I’ve enjoyed prime rib since i was a little kid and certainly on ships. It is a must for holidays and in restaurants.  The bean counters should be concerned about alienating some lifelong cruisers although i do not think they care.  Sad.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I wouldn't miss the prime rib. It's not my favorite cut of meat.

You have your tastes and that is fine , but I would venture to say the majority of cruisers enjoy having prime rib on the menu. I personally don't eat fish , but I know most folks do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1