Strange Bar Closings on Equinox Today in Grand Cayman

helen haywood

2 hours ago, Markator said:

I was told several other ships received some hefty fines for not complying. So your Regent may have been one of them or the overseers didn’t board to find out.
Just guessing like someone else said maybe a law in effect January 1 or something that was previously not enforced and maybe is now. 

Overall, it’s strange: there is no a reason for this matter. It’s just doesn’t make sense. I’m talking about locals. If they want tourist’ money for alcohol, it would’t work, anyway, because people will not go to the shore to buy it ONLY due for a lesser availability of it on the ship.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:14 PM, helen haywood said:

We've sailed X and other lines countless times to Grand Cayman.  Yesterday's Daily Program had this announcement:  Bar Service In Grand Cayman  Please be advised that due to local regulations our onboard bars would be operating under limited capacity while at anchor.  In today's Daily Program it noted:  Please be advised that due to local laws and customs regulations our onboard bars would be operating under limited capacity while at anchor.  Pool Bar, Deck 12 will remain availible (sic) for alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks.  All onboard bars will reopen upon our departure.  The program in fact listed Cafe al Bacio as only opening at 4 pm (our departure time.)

As it turned out, the Oceanview Bar inside the OV was open at regular morning hours but only served nonalcoholic drinks.  Ditto Cafe al Bacio.  But the Pool Bar was the only bar on the whole ship (I cannot speak to the Retreat) that was open for alcoholic drinks.  While they did staff the Pool Bar with extra bartenders it still resulted in quite long lines as one can imagine.

Can someone point me to where I could find these "local laws and customs regulations" that state a cruise ship many only have ONE bar serving alcoholic beverages while at Grand Cayman?

Even worse on this cruise is that due to the weather we did not dock at Georgetown - we were at Spotts Bay.  We took an excursion, nothing there - so tendering and just going to a bar was not a real viable option. 

And for the rest speculating they did specifically say it was due to the GC Laws.  We have been there before and do not remember anything like this. It was a real hassle with only the pool bar open - the poor bartenders.  They did try to alleviate it a bit with a cooler cart with beers, waters and sodas.  

Friends are on another line this week going to GC and texted them to check when they are in GC waters what the bar situation is. 

24 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

We have been there before and do not remember anything like this.

In the last 3 weeks?  Did you read the entire thread---there are identical reports from other ships (posts 32, 67, 122).

• Thanks 1

We will be in GC on the Equinox in June with our Granddaughter. She wants to swim with the sting rays, so we have no choice but to get off and do that with her. We sail away at 4pm so we will be able to enjoy wine and drinks in Luminae that night. No big deal, we have been to GC before and had the port canceled twice because of high winds.

11 minutes ago, jwlane said:

In the last 3 weeks?  Did you read the entire thread---there are identical reports from other ships (posts 32, 67, 122).

Excuse me!!  Sorry, if you read my post I was on this same cruise and I missed the one post from a cruise line other than X that this happened.  That is why I am inquiring if our friends encounter the same.  

On 1/15/2023 at 1:35 PM, helen haywood said:

OK, to report back, to begin with, the Daily Program was totally misleading and inaccurate, which is inexcusable.  It stated that Cafe al Bacio would not open until 4 pm when we'd departed Grand Cayman.  No, it was open at the usual hour, but only serving non-alcoholic beverages.  And I later heard that our friends were able to order wine in the Oceanview Cafe with their lunch.  So it seems that the Pool Bar was the only bar serving hard liquor but at lunch the Oceanview was able to serve wine, and I presume beer.  I'm reading that this happened on Reflection as well, albeit with some differences.  I still have not heard any definitive accounts that this is a Grand Cayman rule or law or regulation.  When I get home I plan to ask on other cruise line boards if any other line had this occur at Grand Cayman.

The Pool Bar was the Only one open.  We stopped at OV bar on our way in and was told no beer or wine but that one of the waitstaff could get us a beer.  When sat down on the Aft deck we asked for 2 beers and they were delivered.  When our friends came a different waitstaff came and told us no.  My husband went out and found the bar services manager, who told us he would get someone to serve us.  Funny thing was the person sent to help us was the same one that said no,  

On 1/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, 39august said:

On EQ now. Only pool bar open last week in GC. No retreat bar. Bars opened at 4 PM

Funniest thing was that the bartenders came out at 3:45 and took orders from everyone and had everything set up and ready to go and we did a count down (like NYE)  Those guys are the best!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/15/2023 at 4:57 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Good heavens the uproar that someone might have to go without alcohol for a few hours during the day or heaven forbid walk to a particular bar to get your fix. Makes me wonder what kind of crowd is sailing Celebrity these days. 😁😁

Sorry paid for a Premium Beverage package and wanted something with lunch.  Also on this particular cruise we did NOT go into George Town but Spotts Bay, you know what is there???  very little and as metioned previously people with any type of water excursion booked had them cancelled.  So there wasn't much to do.  And if you are refering to just walking to the Pool Bar, 4 bartenders to take care of 100's - yep lots of fun.  I'm with the rest - wishing it would have been cancelled instead. I will avoid GC on future bookings

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Slightly off the topic but wanted to share an experience while in Georgetown and just give a heads up to those visiting. After the tender ride we walked all the way to the right at the end of the business area. Found Whalers pub there. Open air seating available and nice inside seating and bar. Beautiful unobstructed view of the ship. Last time walking around I saw it and was pretty crowded so thought would check it out. Was with two other people that were not ship guests otherwise wouldn’t have gone. Prices. Well, island prices and then some it seemed. 
Drinks around 11-13
Nachos. Small and large options. Just got a small. But for example large nachos 16. Add chicken add 7 add beef add 12. So 28 for nachos with beef ….hmm🤔

3 drinks a coke, 3 entrees, small nachos a soup plus a shared Greek salad came out to 159 including 15% service charge

but wait……here is the kicker menu was Cayman dollars. Bill turned into $198 USD for 4. 
So remember the nachos at 28??  Think USD now at $35 plus 15% SC.
$40 nachos seriously???

Just wanted to warn you. 

Be careful if you buy drinks or food on shore. Check menu whether in USD or Cayman dollars. It’s about 25% more than you think if menu is Cayman dollars vs USD. 

• Thanks 3

I dug, and dug, and dug but could not find any type of law stating ships must close any/most bars while in GC?  Someone please shed some light with web pages to back this story...yes, X closed bars onboard but we can't validate the reasoning.  No other ships mentioned it and just the opposite from a NCL ship recently all bars were open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that the Cayman government is now charging import duty on alcohol that is consumed in port (possibly in an attempt to recoup money lost during the pandemic).  By closing down to one bar open, the ship can more accurately control how much has actually, physically been dispensed while in port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/15/2023 at 4:42 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Not when in Sushi on 5, no offer to get us a glass of wine or a Kirin beer, and I can't blame them. However, when on a cruise we enjoy a glass of wine with lunch. Ok, so they can't sell alcohol, what about Michaels Club where it is complementary?  

Reports I've read, it applies to Michael's Club as well.    I just don't know how I'm going to survive.   Opps I forgot I don't drink alcohol.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Reports I've read, it applies to Michael's Club as well.    I just don't know how I'm going to survive.   Opps I forgot I don't drink alcohol.

It did apply to Michael's Club. If I drank beer, I could have helped myself.

37 minutes ago, Accessor said:

So X doesn't want to pay duties on the drinks I consume onboard with the drink package I paid for???....Yeah, makes sense now...we are getting shafted again....

Help me understand your point please. You are being shafted by Celebrity or GC authorities who are imposing this charge? 

• Thanks 1

I guess ya'll will have to cancel your cruises to Alaska because of the terrible liquor laws Canada imposes on the cruise industry.

My thought is that not many even noticed because is was not brought to their attention here on CC 

Liquor Outlets and Bars while in Port in Canada

While in port, one bar per 1,000 passengers, or one bar per deck that provides hospitality services (whichever is greater), may be allowed to remain open. For example, if there are four decks providing hospitality services, four bars may be allowed to remain open.

A letter requesting permission to open bars must be submitted to the FPOA inbox at the beginning of the season. This letter must include the bar location, the time it will be open, and, once suitably endorsed by the CBSA, will act as standing authority to open these bars, while in port, for the entire season. For any amendments to the original request, or if special circumstances exist that require additional bars to be open, another letter must be submitted to the CBSA.

The CBSA will conduct spot checks to ensure compliance and this privilege will be revoked if any bar is open without permission or if any Canadian resident visitor, shore personnel, or stevedoring personnel is served in a bar. In addition, monetary penalties may be assessed to the cruise line.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Help me understand your point please. You are being shafted by Celebrity or GC authorities who are imposing this charge? 

Allegedly, the Cayman government is now imposing duties for alcohol consumed onboard when ship is anchored in Cayman Islands. No evidence of this new law exists, beyond hearsay.

In return, the very expensive drink package I paid for has become difficult to use onboard, as X closed ALL bars except pool bar. Why? You tell me...but I can make a guess it's about saving money that X would pay in duties...why reduce my ability to drink anywhere on the ship for something I prepaid for?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darren42 said:

I guess ya'll will have to cancel your cruises to Alaska because of the terrible liquor laws Canada imposes on the cruise industry.

This post is regarding Cayman Islands, NOT Canada...which nobody has been able to validate this as a new law for 2023 that recently changed.

And besides 1 bar per deck is far more than ONE bar on the ENTIRE SHIP! "one bar per deck that provides hospitality services (whichever is greater)" So the Canadian law seems to be far more generous...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1