Carrying Off Luggage

I'm sorry the luggage topic was even brought up.  I took a look and it seems like spinners have taken over.  Not to mention the prices are a lot more than when I bought ours.  Maybe I'll have to start treating it a little nicer just so I don't have to buy new stuff.  😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manders175 said:

Hi all! Not our first time cruising but we will have my in laws with us for their first cruise. When we return to Port we are staying an extra day in Miami. My MIL is very opposed to putting the luggage outside our room the night before and wants to carry off our luggage. 

My question is, can we only carry off first thing in the morning or can we get off the ship at our later assigned time with our luggage? 

Thanks all! 

How does she plan to get her luggage on the ship. Luggage must go through the scanner. It can be no larger than the carryon allowed by airlines.  Time for a get real talk. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I'm sorry the luggage topic was even brought up.  I took a look and it seems like spinners have taken over.  Not to mention the prices are a lot more than when I bought ours.  Maybe I'll have to start treating it a little nicer just so I don't have to buy new stuff.  😉

I treat all of my luggage with care like most travelers. We joke about it but it can cost quite a bit to replace it when damaged or no longer usable. SO much more to replace now than even six years ago, almost double.

You and I would rather spend that money on traveling than suitcases. 😀

10 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I'm sorry the luggage topic was even brought up. 😉

But since it did, I'll take the opportunity to ask for a recommendation.

I'm looking for a 21" carry-on spinner and "personal item" that mates with it well .. in terms of slipping it onto the 21" carry-on's telescoping handle. This is what you always see flight attendants and pilots with, but I've not found such sets online.

I do love Swiss Gear stuff, but would consider any brand.

10 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I treat all of my luggage with care like most travelers. We joke about it but it can cost quite a bit to replace it when damaged or no longer usable. SO much more to replace now than even six years ago, almost double.

You and I would rather spend that money on traveling than suitcases. 😀

I wish the airlines would treat my luggage even half as good as I do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, publicpersona said:

I'm looking for a 21" carry-on spinner and "personal item" that mates with it well .. in terms of slipping it onto the 21" carry-on's telescoping handle. This is what you always see flight attendants and pilots with, but I've not found such sets online.

This specific question might genuinely need a new thread. I am not sure where it fits in because it might be more airline related than cruise line related. Then again, many people have to fly in order to get to the cruise.

HELP?

51 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I travel several times a month. For us, hardside breaks faster than softside. One bad drop and the case cracks. Wheels, zippers, about the same between soft and hard side cases. 

Another negative about hardsided is that in order to fully access the contents, you have to fully lay out the open suitcase, which is difficult to do on a standard hotel luggage rack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The regular lines can be pretty long too.  

Sad but true.  

We used self-disembarkation in Miami a few months ago, and we were behind a middle-aged daughter and an elderly mother, who each were managing a giant rolling suitcase + a smaller rolling suitcase (it was an 8-day cruise -- how much stuff did they need?).  The mother expressed concerns about her ability, but the daughter insisted she'd be fine.  

The mother did fine getting off the ship, but in the terminal we were faced with the choice of an elevator (with a pretty significant line) or the escalator.  The daughter pushed the mother to take the escalator.  I purposefully waited /gave her a lot of space before I stepped on the escalator, and it was a good thing:  at the foot of the escalator, where you have to step off, the mother tripped and fell, and her bags went askew.  If I'd been right behind her, I'd have fallen over her.  

Odd, you need a free hand to use escaltors in PC. Very strict

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wish the airlines would treat my luggage even half as good as I do. 

Sorry to have to reference the Gorilla throwing around the Samsonite suitcases back in the commercials of the 1960s.

The more things change the more they remain the same. Luggage is brutally handled, even by humans. 😉

25 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I hate spinners. They don't drag well, and rarely find smooth surfaces to utilize them on

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I hate spinners. They don't drag well, and rarely find smooth surfaces to utilize them on

I find two large wheel movers better than the four wheel spinners if you have more than one bag. They do very well until they lock-up and die. The smaller attached bags place additional stress on the main bag.

Wow, how often do you hear that everything is fine until it isn't?

When you create the perfect luggage bag, you will retire.

I am still working. 😂

15 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

This little beauty is awesome as your second piece. 14x16x9, and it'sa roller on it's own. Got it on Amazon. Skyway Luggage.

20230115_214326.thumb.jpg.1f57e02626e0d5a0e899505705622245.jpg

Bought it to go under seat on a trans Atlantic flight.

20230115_214339.thumb.jpg.bb65971d553cdf33a245bb3164552c9f.jpg

And it can carry an entire 12 pack of Newcastle bottles when it's time to come home

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I find two large wheel movers better than the four wheel spinners if you have more than one bag. They do very well until they lock-up and die. The smaller attached bags place additional stress on the main bag.

Wow, how often do you hear that everything is fine until it isn't?

When you create the perfect luggage bag, you will retire.

I am still working. 😂

I don't like the torque generated on my hips and knees pushing them. Carpet is the worst.

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

I don't like the torque generated on my hips and knees pushing them. Carpet is the worst.

I was always a "puller", never pushed my bags.

I saw your "naked open provocative picture of your Skyway Luggage".

Impressive. 😵

We will just leave it at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Unfortunately, our luggage, the big stuff, usually only lasts for a few (maybe 3) years.  My wife wants to switch to the hard sided luggage.  I'm not convinced. 

Check out AWAY luggage, bit of a pill to swallow initially, but I have never looked back. Lifetime warranty, that they have stood behind, no questions asked, for me 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Check out AWAY luggage, bit of a pill to swallow initially, but I have never looked back. Lifetime warranty, that they have stood behind, no questions asked, for me 

Thanks!!!!  Another option to check out.  

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't see it as a hassle at all. When I'm ready to leave I put whatever is left to pack into my luggage and I walk off the ship with my bag and don't have to worry about locating it in the terminal . The process is quite convenient. 

Agree.  

Putting your luggage out in the hall the night before, then leaving at an assigned time, and searching for your luggage in a sea of other suitcases ... that's more effort than just carrying it off yourself.

• Like 2

The past couple of cruises we were sent a message to complete our disembark info in the app.  We were asked if we were walking off and if so what time did we want to leave. They gave us choices. Like 7-730, 8-830, etc. We always walk our luggage off, but we were able to choose the time we planned to leave, which we weren’t held to by the way.  

11 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

How does she plan to get her luggage on the ship. Luggage must go through the scanner. It can be no larger than the carryon allowed by airlines.  Time for a get real talk. 

Not necessarily.  I’ve seen large bags being put thru the scanners.  

I did it on my December Oasis sail from Miami, as United Air was having problems getting sufficient stewards and had to wait some 1+ hours to get the full complement. 

Of course plane arrived late and I was concerned that the bag would be late delivered to my cabin.  With some effort got my ‘29 inch soft side on the rollers to go thru the scanner.  

A bit of inconvenience in getting bag thru the crowd on the 5th deck and an elevator to my deck/cabin. 

1 hour ago, manders175 said:

Thank you to everyone who actually answered my question in the original post. It got hijacked and wasn't even a question  about actual luggage. LOL. 

If not for the hijacking the tread could have ended after the second post. That would have been boring. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, manders175 said:

Thank you to everyone who actually answered my question in the original post. It got hijacked and wasn't even a question  about actual luggage. LOL. 

The whole post:

find these social media Internet sites are kinda like the movie "The Wizard of Oz".  Dorothy and her buds took the Yellow Brick Road.  The road wasn't straight, it took a lot of twists and turns.  Each of the people who were on the road for differing agenda/things.  One for a heart, one for a Brain, one for courage, and one just to get home.   So, I'd just follow the Yellow Brick Road, but keep your hands and feet inside the ride.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1