Two Questions: Internet/check in

Reijo

I have been trying to determine whether to get my internet (1 iPhone) prior to my cruise of wait till I get on board.  Problem is that I am Diamond Plus and get, I think, two free days.  If I find a deal and book it ahead of the cruise, will I be given the two free days?  I was told once to not do it that you then have to go to Guest Services on board to get it resolved.  Does anyone know for sure?  

Second question, it's too soon for our March 25th check in so I have no idea what my options are for times.  Most often, the earliest I've ever seen is 11AM.  If I get there earlier (10/10:30), will I be allowed to check in even if I choose 11AM.  I know you can't board that early but can I check in and wait?  We are always told NOT to get there early but on my last Mariner cruise out of Terminal 5, there was a tremendous wait line (outside the terminal, in the elements) and MANY people were bragging about their check in wasn't until 2pm.  We got there exactly at our check in time.  No one, anywhere, asked about times.  There were even some people unable to stand so long.  I just don't understand.....you either have the rules or not.  If you don't enforce them, I guess you can go whenever you want. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reijo said:

I have been trying to determine whether to get my internet (1 iPhone) prior to my cruise of wait till I get on board.  Problem is that I am Diamond Plus and get, I think, two free days.  If I find a deal and book it ahead of the cruise, will I be given the two free days?  I was told once to not do it that you then have to go to Guest Services on board to get it resolved.  Does anyone know for sure?  

Second question, it's too soon for our March 25th check in so I have no idea what my options are for times.  Most often, the earliest I've ever seen is 11AM.  If I get there earlier (10/10:30), will I be allowed to check in even if I choose 11AM.  I know you can't board that early but can I check in and wait?  We are always told NOT to get there early but on my last Mariner cruise out of Terminal 5, there was a tremendous wait line (outside the terminal, in the elements) and MANY people were bragging about their check in wasn't until 2pm.  We got there exactly at our check in time.  No one, anywhere, asked about times.  There were even some people unable to stand so long.  I just don't understand.....you either have the rules or not.  If you don't enforce them, I guess you can go whenever you want. 

Not sure about internet question.

Another really good read that just posted is from January 10, this year. It might answer your check-in questions.

Does anyone know how this new scheduling of boarding times work?

By CruisinRoxy,
January 10 in Royal Caribbean International

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Reijo said:

I'm D+ and my understanding you get 2 free days of internet or $51.98 off on-board internet package.

You could minimize your cost by skipping the first day.  D+ discount in not available in the cruise planner.

You may be able to get in the terminal but not allow you to board until 11 or 11:30.

• Thanks 1

Have you loaded the app? It will give you the date of your check in time, normally 45 days prior to cruise. If 11:00 ends up being earliest arrival time, I don’t think you would have any issues arriving a little early.

If you want to use your 2 free days, the remaining days will be charged the ship price ( normally $24.99-26.99), not the sale price before. You have to do the math and see which would be the best price for you.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Thanks 1

On my last cruise I was waiting to buy on board for the reason you mentioned. What I found was that the on board price had risen substantially from my previous cruise so my math was off and it would have cost me less to pre purchase. 

For my upcoming cruise I have already purchase as I have a price approximately $9 (black Friday sale) below the on board price. $9 X 8 days is $72 which is a better savings than my D+ two free days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

On my last cruise I was waiting to buy on board for the reason you mentioned. What I found was that the on board price had risen substantially from my previous cruise so my math was off and it would have cost me less to pre purchase. 

For my upcoming cruise I have already purchase as I have a price approximately $9 (black Friday sale) below the on board price. $9 X 8 days is $72 which is a better savings than my D+ two free days. 

Sometimes a Royal sale is a real sale.  Was able to get the "Key" around Labor Day for $15.99 and included S&S internet + lunch on embarkation day in the MDR and some other misc. benefits.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Have you loaded the app? It will give you the date of your check in time, normally 45 days prior to cruise. If 11:00 ends up being earliest arrival time, I don’t think you would have any issues arriving a little early.

If you want to use your 2 free days, the remaining days will be charged the ship price ( normally $24.99-26.99), not the sale price before. You have to do the math and see which would be the best price for you.

Yes, I have the app downloaded and keep checking every day or so...even though we're still more than 45 days out.  One cruise allowed me to complete my online checking at approximately 60 days out...SHOCKING.

Yes, I usually always skip the first day of internet.   Thanks for your response!

7 minutes ago, Reijo said:

Yes, I usually always skip the first day of internet. 

The break even for the Voom package purchase depends on the cost in the planner, the cost on the ship and the length of the sailing. On ship prices vary, especially if the ship has done away with the Surf option. As you may have noticed, the planner Voom prices also fluctuate. For anything less than 7 days, you are probably better off buying on board with the D+ discount and no, you can't apply that to an already purchased planner package.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reijo said:

Yes, I have the app downloaded and keep checking every day or so...even though we're still more than 45 days out.  One cruise allowed me to complete my online checking at approximately 60 days out...SHOCKING.

Yes, I usually always skip the first day of internet.   Thanks for your response!

If you go to the head icon at top right side of app, and scroll down, it should show you the date you can check in. You don’t need to keep checking.

Here’s my Mar 27 cruise

8BBFAC42-5625-4E13-9644-4BB6C23F57D0.png

I'm on Allure right now, and the D+ letter stated two days of internet for free, or $59.98 off a package (which tells me the on-board price is $29.99/day).  

The Cruise Planner price is $16.99/day if you get the whole week package, so $118.93 total.

If you don't use internet the first day, use your two free days, and then pay for internet for the last four days, that would be $119.96 (4 x $29.99).  

I just buy the package beforehand and have always come out ahead.  I just have them activate my two free days at the end of the week and use them so I don't have to log in/out with my laptop.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If you don't use internet the first day, use your two free days, and then pay for internet for the last four days, that would be $119.96 (4 x $29.99).  

That $30/day is the price of the 24 hour package, not the daily price of the voyage package (which is likely $23-25). Do you have a Surf option?

Edited by Biker19

Even at $25.99/day for a full-cruise package on board, you're looking at $181.93, then take off the $59.98 and it's $121.95.  You're still better off just buying all seven days pre-cruise at $16.99/day for $118.93 and then using your two free days for another device, or let someone else use them.

9 hours ago, Reijo said:

Several my Cruises few Months ago could check in at 44-45 days but we were not allowed to pick Port Check in time for another 10-15 days. Some my Cruises earliest was 1030, others it was 11. 2 Ports opened doors 10-15 mins early, other one didnt until 5 minutes after 11 and that one was checking assigned times first hr or so

We use one D+ day on second day and second later in the day on third or fourth day.  Then use second person's D+ to purchase package on 5th day.  At that point can usually get stream for around $9 for the rest of cruise.  A few gaps in coverage but usually are off on islands then anyway.